Old 02-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #1

OEM TV reception

I'm new to this forum (only second post) but have been lurking for a few months. We just bought a new 25RR in October. Used it briefly at home in Ohio to make sure everything works and took it to Arizona with us for a few camping trips this winter. I noticed the folks here are a great source of info and ideas. Here's a new one I haven't seen. Hope someone can shed some light.

My OEM TV has pretty bad audio reception when using air tv. The video seems fine but the audio sounds crackling with some static. I operate with the power booster on but no help. Am I doing something wrong or is that what I can expect with air tv? Haven't had the opportunity to use cable yet.

Thanks for any help,
Al

Old 02-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by almar View Post
I'm new to this forum (only second post) but have been lurking for a few months. We just bought a new 25RR in October. Used it briefly at home in Ohio to make sure everything works and took it to Arizona with us for a few camping trips this winter. I noticed the folks here are a great source of info and ideas. Here's a new one I haven't seen. Hope someone can shed some light.

My OEM TV has pretty bad audio reception when using air tv. The video seems fine but the audio sounds crackling with some static. I operate with the power booster on but no help. Am I doing something wrong or is that what I can expect with air tv? Haven't had the opportunity to use cable yet.

Thanks for any help,
Al
Welcome Al

If you have a good picture you should have good audio.
Digital tv with a good signal should have great or good audio, visual.

Sounds like there's an issue.

Turbs

Old 02-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #3

Maybe it is the speaker in the TV? Try this: Go to Wal-Mart and get a cable with a 3.5 mm jack on each end. Plug it into the audio out jack on the TV (where you would plug in headphones or auxiliary speakers) and into the audio in plug on your stereo (where you would pjug in your MP3 player.) Run your TV audio through the stereo speaker system and see if that doesn't improve your audio. It did for ours...made it much easier to hear when the A/C was on last summer...and the cable was less than $5 at Wal-Mart.
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. My next question was "How can I get the audio to play through the stereo speakers?". You are way ahead of me. I'm going to give it a try. I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks,
Al
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by almar View Post
Thanks for the replies. My next question was "How can I get the audio to play through the stereo speakers?". You are way ahead of me. I'm going to give it a try. I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks,
Al
Al,

The only downside is that you need to use both remotes...the TV remote to change channels and the stereo remote to adjust the volume, but other than that, mine worked great.

Mike
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #6

I tried running the jack to/from my tv to the radio. It worked great. I'll probably keep it that way since the sound is so much better.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to duplicate my original problem while parked in my drive at home. I programed the local channels on the tv when I got home. A few had decent audio/video quality, others were terrible. This leads me to believe that the air signals are just weak and some are very weak. I'm thinking this is where my problem lies. The booster antenna helps but, just isn't strong enough to pull in a good transmission signal from very many channels. I may have to consider a satellite system for any long term solution.

Regardless, I like the sound quality coming through the stereo speakers. Thanks for the help.
almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The campgrounds we like to camp at are well treed and we usually don't receive any over the air TV stations. Even with satelite, you'll need light of sight for the system to receive any signal.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Have you considered adding a Wingman to your antenna to help improve the OTA signals?

My TT came with a Winegard Mod# RS-1500 Omnidirectional TV/FM antenna. Are you suggesting adding a Wingman to this antenna or replacing my existing with the Wingman?
almar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

This is the antenna he has...Wingman wouldn't work with this.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
This is the antenna he has...Wingman wouldn't work with this.

Dave
My bad, post deleted

Tags
tv reception