Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2016, 07:12 AM   #1

Online buying from another state

Any preferred dealers you like vs others. Wife just fell in love with the 22RR floor plan and am investigating some online dealers. Local is just too much mark up here in Pa.
Ones I see are The outpost RV in Indiana , Specialty RV Sales in Ohio...........I know I'll get eaten alive with a trade but just checking my/her options.

Thanks

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC s(sold)
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
2017 F150 Super Crew 3.5eb 5.5
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #2

Terry Town RV in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Ask for Joe Anderson. Tell him Luke sent you. +1 (616) 375-0938

All of my local dealers within 300 miles couldn't come within $3k of his price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:19 AM   #3

Outpost RV gave me a great price on a 19RR and was easy to deal with. But just before I sent them a deposit check, a 19RR showed up on Craigslist locally. Never registered, brand new for half of retail.
Rbertalotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:54 AM   #4
Site Team

House of Camping, outside of Chicago, gave us a great deal and were fantastic to deal with.
so great, that we drove 4000 miles RT to get it.

FR found us local dealers that would do the warranty work. never had any issues except having to be at the back of the line. i just dropped it off for warranty work during the winter and got free storage, till i picked it up in the spring.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:02 PM   #5
Canadian Member

I would suggest that you try to sell your current RV privately rather than trading it in. As you said, you don't get much on a trade in. My experience has been that you should be able to get at least $3000 more selling it privately than you'll get on a trade.

In addition to Bikendan's recommendation, members here seem to like RV Wholesalers, Wana RV, Cheyenne Camping Center and Jeff Couch's RV Nation
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #6

Outpost in Indiana gave us the best price when we bought our new Wolf Pack a few years ago. Never a problem with warranty work either. That being said, when we went back to upgrade to a fifth wheel, they strongly discouraged taking our TT in on trade. They are nice folks to deal with on new campers, as they are very close to the factory, but do not want your trade.
Ultraboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #7
Senior Senior Member

We traveled to buy each of our TTs. By far the better experience was with Cheyenne Camping Center. Both trips saved us thousands over local prices. So far no warranty issues. I will admit though, it is a bit of a crap shoot. After reading some of the threads on here, I think we have been lucky.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:22 PM   #8
Middle Aged Member

Terry Town RV in Grand Rapids, MI is where we traded in our old TT for what we wanted and got a great deal on our new one.

They had what we wanted and were easy to deal with.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #9

We found the best trade in value and deal on our new to us RV in Michigan and live in NJ. We traded in our TT for a Class C, I knew what make and model I wanted so I did internet searches all the time.

Trying local dealers and not having any luck; I found the one I wanted at Haylett RV in Coldwater Michigan they do extensive videos of their units on YouTube. They were super open and honest during the whole process.

Drove out 12 hours to do the trade, new unit was as represented by pictures and video; drove back 14 hours (wrong turn and traffic jam from a bad truck accident added 2 hours) the next day after spending the night in Coldwater, MI.

I would just sueggest that you get a good vibe from the dealer, and they are willing to take good pics and videos for you.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:22 PM   #10

I couldn't find a better price than Holman motors in Ohio
drb1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #11

But do yourself a favor and check out the 26rr fir only $400 more. I just bought a 26rr from them and had it shipped to Florida. I was originally working up a deal for a 22rr but switched to a 26rr after I looked at it closer online
drb1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #12

We purchased our TT through Camping World's website. I live in the Seattle, WA area and we did some window shopping in Vancouver, WA while on a trip. We found a TT close to what we were looking for, but could only get the floor plan of the Rockwood 8310SS we had fallen in love with from the factory. There are no Rockwood dealerships in the Seattle area. While camping on the Oregon coast I found the TT we wanted on-line at a Camping World website. I thought that IA meant Idaho and pursued the sale. During the process I realized that it meant Iowa, 1,800 miles away. We still worked with Tom Finnegan of Camping World of Cedar Falls and got our TT delivered. We were pleased with the price and the dealership. Buying through CW also gives you some great perks, along with the sale. They were very accommodating and provided many photographs and assurances to this nervous purchaser who was buying it sight unseen. Warranty, however, is only through other Forest River dealerships, and not through CW as I had assumed. All in all, it worked well for us.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:21 PM   #13

Lots of great info -THANKS!!
Im also looking at a Palomino Puma XLE 25FBC any thoughts would be appreciated.

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC s(sold)
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
2017 F150 Super Crew 3.5eb 5.5
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbald View Post
We purchased our TT through Camping World's website. I live in the Seattle, WA area and we did some window shopping in Vancouver, WA while on a trip. We found a TT close to what we were looking for, but could only get the floor plan of the Rockwood 8310SS we had fallen in love with from the factory. There are no Rockwood dealerships in the Seattle area. While camping on the Oregon coast I found the TT we wanted on-line at a Camping World website. I thought that IA meant Idaho and pursued the sale. During the process I realized that it meant Iowa, 1,800 miles away. We still worked with Tom Finnegan of Camping World of Cedar Falls and got our TT delivered. We were pleased with the price and the dealership. Buying through CW also gives you some great perks, along with the sale. They were very accommodating and provided many photographs and assurances to this nervous purchaser who was buying it sight unseen. Warranty, however, is only through other Forest River dealerships, and not through CW as I had assumed. All in all, it worked well for us.
Camping World in Fort Meyers FL Honors forest river warranties And FR works with them, in Fact I'm not sure if there's a brand out there they won't do Warranty work on .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:21 PM   #15

Thumbs up Bought Flagstaff 27 RLWS in NY

We bought our 2014 Flagstaff RLWS from RV Direct in Albany NY with no regrets at all.
We live on Cape Cod in Massachusetts but couldn't find the floor plan or the options we wanted at any dealers near us. We even tried to purchase it from a dealer in Rhode Island that sold Flagstaffs but they actually refused to order it and blew us off.......they wanted to sell what they had on the lot only. (Ironically they lost out on 2 sales, ours plus our friends that were with us who were prepared to dump up to 80G's on a new 5th wheel.)
Price was not the issue but we where pleasantly surprise at the savings we got as well as the options we could choose dealing with RV Direct.
It was a little strange to say "I bought a new camper all on line" though.
Warranty work was a fear I had BUT I had little issues that I took care of only because it would have cost me way too much money to take to the nearest Forest River dealer anyway.
After waiting for the "build", we spent a weekend and drove up to Albany to pick it up and the rest is history...........
ronzo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:34 PM   #16

I believe if you sell your old RV, you will come out much better than trading one in. The dealer really does not want your old one unless it is almost new. He isn't going to be willing to lower his price on the new one you want either, if a trade is involved. I sold my old Holiday Rambler(94 yr. model) for what I paid for it six years ago, $6000.00, I am sure the RV dealer would have offered me that or more, but he would have lowered the price of the new one by $14000.00. Hope this helps with your decision.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
Lots of great info -THANKS!!
Im also looking at a Palomino Puma XLE 25FBC any thoughts would be appreciated.
X3 on TerryTown RV, Grand Rapids, Mich., Very good to deal with (Priced better than local dealers and they had the floor plan we wanted). Very thorough PDI and patient with us (me). Hope this helps!
P.S. We drove from Kansas City to purchase out TT!

2018 3500 Chevy Silverado, Duramax, CC, Z71, SRW
2014 Palomino Solaire Eclipse 297rlds
Husky Centerline w/d hitch
Retusps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
We traveled to buy each of our TTs. By far the better experience was with Cheyenne Camping Center. Both trips saved us thousands over local prices. So far no warranty issues. I will admit though, it is a bit of a crap shoot. After reading some of the threads on here, I think we have been lucky.
X2 We live in Colorado and traveled to Cheyenne Camping Center. Saved thousands over what was available locally.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #19

A dealer is a dealer!

Quote:
Any preferred dealers you like vs others. Wife just fell in love with the 22RR floor plan and am investigating some online dealers. Local is just too much mark up here in Pa.
Ones I see are The outpost RV in Indiana , Specialty RV Sales in Ohio...........I know I'll get eaten alive with a trade but just checking my/her options.

Thanks
As for the trade issue a dealer should be giving you nada no matter where you go, so buying out of state is getting to be very normal with the internet being what it is today.

So you also need to do some homework on your rv you own now before you get to talking with the other dealer, and it is getting common to do this of deal over the phone also. Just get all you ducks in a row before you call them.

Hope this helps and Happy camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:09 PM   #20

Quote:

Thanks

I went to Ohio for my 26rr. Suburban rv, Mansfield Ohio. Tom is great to work with has best prices also. I live in east Berlin pa. Was worth the seven hour trip. I did not do a trade in but sold mine outright. Remember if you are traveling out of state to do a trade in it's going to cost you money to get it there. I crunched numbers and priced it accordingly locally and sold it within seven days. Even with gas as cheap as it is it still is going to cost you around $500.00 to get it out of state if seven hours.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote