Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill flick View Post
Rgdds Just take your time and remember you have a trailer back there and it will push you. so be careful and have a safe summer
I will Thanks have fun camping !!!!
sam2581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill flick View Post
Rgdds Just take your time and remember you have a trailer back there and it will push you. so be careful and have a safe summer
Thanks Bill on the advice. I will be very careful and will be very conscious of the trailer. You have a safe fun summer of camping also.
rgdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgdds View Post
Thanks Bill on the advice. I will be very careful and will be very conscious of the trailer. You have a safe fun summer of camping also.
Rgdds I know u said u just bout your 25rr how was pricing in your area they are all over the place were iv been talking to. Not sure of I should buy a striped down model or get one loaded, any suggestions? Thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #24

Sam sent you a private message on pricing. Ronnie
Old 02-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #25

Quality:

Well, it's a cost effective camper. I have to be honest with myself though, I'm in the cost effective price bracket income wise. So I won't be buying a $90k camper to pull with my $50k truck. Every time I look closer though I become more convinced drunk midgets put this thing together. It's kinda to the point where I'm afraid to look. Every aspect of cheap (commonly known as "cost effective") comes to mind very often.

* I recently pulled the Converter out to understand the wiring before I put in my solar stuff. What I found was enough wood shaving and dust to get me a nice campfire going (a couple dust pan fulls). They also cut holes in a rather carefree way and left the "hacked" out pieces lying on the floor behind the converter.

* Underneath the trailer I found that in a couple of places the metal trim got further away from the wood and there were bunches of staples just stuck through metal and not touching wood. Doesn't look like there was any effort to fix it. Just left it as is.

* The little piece of trim above the wheel well (left side) pulled lose bringing it home. Upon inspection I could tell the trim had just barley covered the metal on the side. I'm talking maybe a 1/16 of an inch. The gap kept growing as it set in the sun. Spiders took up residence, some water got in. Fixed by a dealer by tacking it in place. They said it would be fixed right but when I spoke with the owner's son he had told me Forest River told them to just patch it.

* The first night after buying it the sound quality went to crap. Evidently my Fleedwood Mac Rumor MP3's were too much for it. The sounds was like it was clipping and muffled. Just yesterday I pulled the speaker thinking it had went bad and I was going to replace it. Only to find chopped up pieces of foam, foam rubber, vinyl, and all kinds of left over crap from other manufacturing processes. The loose stuff was all over the top of the speaker and down in the speaker. I also had an avalanche of this stuff hit me in the face when I pulled the speaker out. Yay. After I shook it out the sound was fine again. Going to put a "fiber fill" sheet in to keep the crap out.

* Yesterday was sunny and I was in the back of the camper with the lights off and noticed a pinpoint of light at both top corners of the ramp. Yes daylight and yes the ramp was closed and locked. I pushed with two fingers (not hard) and a 1/4" gap opened up and daylight poured in. My concern is that the normal eddies and buffeting of the wind going down the road will do the same thing, while it's raining.

* Brakes started locking up on me on the pull home from the dealer. Admittedly it was hilly. But then again, I'm sure people don't want to just camp on flat land and my truck brakes suffered no ill affect. The brake controller was installed and set by the dealer. If you can imagine coming to a stop light and the camper pulling hard on your vehicle followed by its tires locking up. I've since replaced the break controller with the best one I could find (Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control). It does better now but it's not right.

The list goes on believe it or not. But I'm at work and should probably get some work done. I think some of the things I've encountered others have also but are unaware. As said, it's a cost effective camper.

Now for the irony. I like my camper. It fit the bill for everything I needed. It's light enough to be towed by my 5.4L F150 super crew. The interior layout was very open (something I was looking for) and felt more like living space than other toy haulers I looked at. I don't plan on sticking a huge bike in it. At most I will put a dual purpose (on/off road) type of bike in it to be hauled.
apollumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #26

Just thought I'd sum the above up. I like my camper but in the back of my brain I'm trying suppress the fear that I'm actually pulling a big cardboard box down the road. A cardboard box that might just fold up if it gets wet. This of course is my humble opinion.

I've found some videos online of forest river campers being built. It explained a lot to me. Young unskilled labor going as fast as they can.

Here, watch your roof being made. It's the same roof of the 25RR. I can vouch from taking the speaker out and seeing the roof strut by it.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollumi View Post
Just thought I'd sum the above up. I like my camper but in the back of my brain I'm trying suppress the fear that I'm actually pulling a big cardboard box down the road. A cardboard box that might just fold up if it gets wet. This of course is my humble opinion.

I've found some videos online of forest river campers being built. It explained a lot to me. Young unskilled labor going as fast as they can.

Here, watch your roof being made. It's the same roof of the 25RR. I can vouch from taking the speaker out and seeing the roof strut by it.

Thanks for your opinion I have a lot to think over. They are matching the price, I'm thinking of having them build me one with every option that I wanted and the price is still about the same. Wish me luck Thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #28

I have never been indoctrinated into the camper world until the purchase of the 25RR. It was an eye opening experience. You get what you pay for I suppose.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2581 View Post
Do you think I should cocider buying one? What problem ate you having ? Thanks
No problems at all really. We are doing some mods (Pimp My 25RR thread) and you can see where things were done "cheaply" That being said IMHO all trailers are made as cheaply as possible and might as well get the best deal and "fix" what you don't like. If you asked me right now would I buy another; I'd have to say yes. Buy it enjoy it and mod it if you need it to suit you better
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf View Post
No problems at all really. We are doing some mods (Pimp My 25RR thread) and you can see where things were done "cheaply" That being said IMHO all trailers are made as cheaply as possible and might as well get the best deal and "fix" what you don't like. If you asked me right now would I buy another; I'd have to say yes. Buy it enjoy it and mod it if you need it to suit you better
Couldn't agree more.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #31

Thanks for the info still haven't pulled the trigger
Yet , thinking of ordering a new build with all
The stuff I think I would need power
everything, any other things u think
I should order? Thanks Sam dies anyone
Ever talk price? Don't want to pay too much
Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #32

Was glad we got the vented AC although it would have made sense to put a vent in the bedroom area. They placed 4 vents in the unit but none in the bedroom.??? Get everything powered!!!!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #33

And they do make a screen for the rear door.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #34

The camper is made quick and cheap. Simple as that. What can you afford? I can afford quick and cheap. To my understanding the camper industry is unregulated so they can do pretty much as they wish. It is the nature of the beast.

I replaced my speakers with some Sony X-Plode speakers last night. I made a dome of fiber fill in the cavity to keep the junk out of the speaker. Much better sound. Would have been nice if they could have just avoided a problem that a 5 year old could have seen coming. <rolls eyes>
Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #35

First off this is my opinion owning a 25rr for over a year and 6 trips with in that year. I feel its a great deal for the price. I had one issue with wood chips under the flooring and the factory cover it under warranty no problems. While the floor was being fixed at the dealer I had them install two tie down hooks near the front of the camper. Forest River worked with the dealer to tell them where to properly install them.

We love the open space, being able to fit two full size quads, they layout and the light weight.

As far as the video posted here, It looks to me we have a few young adults working hard to make a living. Glad to see them working hard and not on the government handouts. Any manufacturing facility is going to product as quickly as they can to turn a profit. If you want the same size unit built to the hilt you'll be paying 30,000 plus. If you compare cost to quality I think we're getting a good deal. I think any of these unit 15K to 50K are going to break being hauled down the road at some point.

We did a few simple mods.

We added a Sams club Memory foam topper to the hard mattress. works prefect for me and the wife, we like firm feel with the soft top. IT works great for my bad back. $80

I added a curtain rod across the bad area. $20

A swing arm for the factory flat screen, we can swing it out and each lay on a couch. Very comfy. I mounted the existing wall mount bracket to the swing arm so I can still remove it and mount it outside. Amazon $16 I personally would mount a big TV over one of the couches it make that couch useless if muiltple people are watching TV. Unless you don't need the couch.

We put 1/4 moon shelves in the corners of a few cabinets, it really gives you nice space to sit thing that come out of your pockets. Also added a key holder near door.

Added a paper towel holder above sink.

I have seen a lot of shavings in lights and other corners of the camper. But so far everything has worked and worked well.

I had a buddy buy a 30K all aluminum 24' VRV top off the line toy hauler. you would not believe the nightmare he had with that.

Good luck with your search for a camper
empa1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #36

had a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgdds View Post
Sam sent you a private message on pricing. Ronnie
ron is there a chanc
Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sam you should not post your number in an open forum! !!!!
Edit post and remove it.
Pm him your number instead! !!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #38

To all those that defend quality issues on the campers... I can only say I've seen people in bad relationships defend those also. But you are very correct. If they had done it right I couldn't have bought mine for $15k. It would have been much more. Which is why I said I like my camper but tried to prepare him because he reeked (like I did) of new camper owner. Hence, he is likely unwashed in the ways of the camper industry. You don't mind if I try to prep him a little do you?

Concerning the gentleman to was building a roof on the camper. But I've worked in factories a few times and been witness to many others. Here is some poor gentleman who I imagine has no choice but to move as quick as humanly possible. I'll leave it at that.

Also, if you overhype a good movie it will fail. If you underhype a good movie it can do well. Generally speaking. So if I overly concern him he will feel much better about his purchase and be less likely to be offended by defects in his "cost effective" camper.

Anyway.....
Old 02-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollumi View Post
To all those that defend quality issues on the campers... I can only say I've seen people in bad relationships defend those also. But you are very correct. If they had done it right I couldn't have bought mine for $15k. It would have been much more. Which is why I said I like my camper but tried to prepare him because he reeked (like I did) of new camper owner. Hence, he is likely unwashed in the ways of the camper industry. You don't mind if I try to prep him a little do you?

Concerning the gentleman to was building a roof on the camper. But I've worked in factories a few times and been witness to many others. Here is some poor gentleman who I imagine has no choice but to move as quick as humanly possible. I'll leave it at that.

Also, if you overhype a good movie it will fail. If you underhype a good movie it can do well. Generally speaking. So if I overly concern him he will feel much better about his purchase and be less likely to be offended by defects in his "cost effective" camper.

Anyway.....
Glad to see anyone working hard for a living no matter what color they are. They are good hard working folks. They have a choice where they work or if they choose to educate themselves. I know I had hard jobs when I was younger and I didn't cry about it and I most certainly had a choose. My career path was completely my decision, I own it that decision and don't blame it on anyone else.
empa1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by empa1968 View Post
Glad to see anyone working hard for a living no matter what color they are. They are good hard working folks. They have a choice where they work or if they choose to educate themselves. I know I had hard jobs when I was younger and I didn't cry about it and I most certainly had a choose. My career path was completely my decision, I own it that decision and don't blame it on anyone else.

I "LIKE" my camper. I've put considerable effort and money into modifications for it. Check my posts. Right now I'm waiting for the last few parts to come in on a solar project that will be on the order of $3,000 when it's done. 500-600 watts solar into a 60 amp MPPT charge controller.. Oh, and I'll be sharing what I did via a bunch of nice pictures hosted on my own web server. It'll be unique to any solar install I've seen and likely be worthy of copying for anybody that owns a "RR" toy hauler. Would I do that if I thought my "cost effective" camper was a waste of money?

Why people get defensive when I say there just "might" (sarcasm and humor combined) be a few quality control issues in these is beyond me. I often marvel at the passion involved in politics and sports. I know that it is simply the entity being a proxy for the person. Which is why they take it so personally. If your camper is a proxy for who you are and my comments seemed offensive it was not my intent. I only wished to be informative for perspective buyers. I've got enough years behind me that I appreciate it when people try to assuage my idealism in exchange for a reality check.