Old 09-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #91
itch'n to road trip

Hey Y'all,

UPDATE: Okay so in May 2010 we had a "Phantom" retractable screen put in on out back ramp (photos to follow later). Really wasn't that expensive ($150 bucks?) and they came to us and installed it! AWESOME. We love it...use it every chance we get.

Retractable Screens by Phantom — Retractable screens for doors, windows and large openings

Okay so now I am making a clear vinyl plastic roll up/down shade. That we can have the ramp door open and the A/C on or if it's winter and a little cool... keep the warm air in. I am almost finished with the project... in the "fitting" stage now. I will post photos later...and let you know how well this project has worked out.

Considering the cost....less than $40.00 total ( materials purchased at my local Wallly-mart)....and my time (about 1/2 day) this could be a good investment.

STAY TUNED!

Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #92
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Hey Y'all,

UPDATE: Okay so in May 2010 we had a "Phantom" retractable screen put in on out back ramp (photos to follow later). Really wasn't that expensive ($150 bucks?) and they came to us and installed it! AWESOME. We love it...use it every chance we get.

Retractable Screens by Phantom ó Retractable screens for doors, windows and large openings

Okay so now I am making a clear vinyl plastic roll up/down shade. That we can have the ramp door open and the A/C on or if it's winter and a little cool... keep the warm air in. I am almost finished with the project... in the "fitting" stage now. I will post photos later...and let you know how well this project has worked out.

Considering the cost....less than $40.00 total ( materials purchased at my local Wallly-mart)....and my time (about 1/2 day) this could be a good investment.

STAY TUNED!
Looking forward to it CQ I need to get my screen done as well.

Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #93
itch'n to road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
Okay, everyone, finished the tile project and adding access door for under bed storage.
Stargazerandu,

Your bed mod is just what we want to do! PERFECT!
Does not look like it was too heard to do. Did you put any kind of finish on the inside of the cutout? Where did you find a door?

AWESOME JOB!
Jasper Ga.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #94
itch'n to road trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
Looking forward to it CQ I need to get my screen done as well.
UPDATE: Got the Plexiglas we got at HD cut and installed on our screen door. Really beefs up the door and wasn't that hard to cut. I use .093 think Plexiglas and cut it with our Dremel with a little cutting blade..and used our small mouse sander to smooth the edges. Attached sticky Velcro strips to the door and one side of the Plexiglas. STORM DOOR! Awesome

Bottom photo is the new drop down clear vinyl curtain I made to cover the ramp door. Now I can have the A/C on or the heat on. Door is open and keep some of outside air out! Just waiting for it to relax a little so I can go back and add Velcro to the side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07326.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	8146   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07327.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	8147   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07331.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	8148  
Jasper Ga.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #95
itch'n to road trip

Here are a few more photos of our pull down Phantom screen (frame and top roll up storage) and vinyl drop down curtain I made.

Clear vinyl roll up/down curtain for RV

1 spool – Upholstery thread (white) $2.07

Heavy-duty stick on Velcro (2” wide X 1 Ĺ yds) 7.47

Sew on Velcro (white) for tie up strap .79

54” X 3 yd medium weight clear vinyl (used only half) 7.97 (3.99)

54” X 3 yd medium weight white flannel backed vinyl
(used only half) 7.97 (3.99)

Material total $18.31

Time to lay-out, cut and sew: 3-4 hours

Clear vinyl seems to be the right weight. Would have rather had regular vinyl/oil cloth and not flannel backed for the trim and edging . Flannel backed vinyl seems to have some stretch to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07311.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	8149   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07332.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	8150   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07335.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	8151   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07330.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	8152  
Jasper Ga.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Stargazerandu,

Your bed mod is just what we want to do! PERFECT!
Does not look like it was too heard to do. Did you put any kind of finish on the inside of the cutout? Where did you find a door?

AWESOME JOB!
Campnqueen,

What I did is first find what size opening I wanted, then I cut out the opening to be less than the size of the door. I made that door myself. I got a thin sheet of plywood, cut it, then per shaker style doors on trailer, cut four pieces of 1X2 strips of wood. I glue them and screwed from back side and then per the routing on the cabinets in trailer, I routed to match that style. Finding the matching hinges were the next hurdle. I googled a cabinet hinge store and found the perfect match but I had to spray paint to match the color. I then went to home depot to match the stain.

On the inside of that storage area, I reinforced the opening so when I screwed in the hardware, it had something to grab on to. And finally, I lined the inside with a rubber mat.

It works very well!!

By the way, I love what you did to the ramp area. That screen enclosure is wonderful!! Thank you for sharing that!!

Olga.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #97
itch'n to road trip

Tom,

How much heavier is the ramp door to lift up with the spare tire on it? YOU are a manly-man... but me I am a 5'4" woman... if I drop the door am I going to have hard time getting the ramp door back in place?

I am NOT a weakling... but is the door more bulky? Wonder why FR did not do this in the first place... or find a place under the frame to mount the spare tire.... like on my pick truck.
Jasper Ga.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #98

Hi CampnQueen;

The total weight of the ramp door does not seem that much different after mounting the tire. Most of the weight of the tire is close to the hinge. The further up the door you mount the tire, the heavier it would feel, but Lucille can still lift the gate up and I would NOT say it is a struggle.

I will have to check my settings on this Forum. I see there is a whole 10th page on "pimping my 19RR" and I did not get email notifications.

Boy... I have to get going on doing more "pimps" to my trailer.

Here is my latest "idea" but it is still in the idea stage. I would like more "full time" light in the back corner of the trailer (though darkness does help TV viewing). I noticed that many other trailers (and maybe even early models of the 19RR... 2009 versions) had a window in the main door (entry door, not ramp door... because we would not want to have to drive over a window loading our bikes...duh). For security and privacy, I would not want that window to open (like the one above the sink) and I would prefer if it was obscured (frosted). I see this RV window with shipping for only $53 and I think if I just take my time and cut a hole in the door smaller than I need and slowly trim it out, it is doable. Does anyone have any concerns on why I might NOT want to do this? Thanks.

RV CAMPER ENTRY DOOR WINDOW ASSEMBLY PHILIPS 12 X 21 | eBay

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7l
2006 Road Star Warrior
heytomgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #99
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Tom,
I dont know if there is any reason not to do the window, I do know that I will be looking at doing the same thing next spring.
I dont know why they didnt put them in the newest models? But I feel like it really needs a window in the entry door.
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #100

Thanks Scot. I think I just found one slightly cheaper than the guy on Ebay. This one doesn't include shipping but even with shipping it is $46.49

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...aign=partsfeed

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7l
2006 Road Star Warrior
heytomgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
19rr grey wolf