Old 05-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #221
Living on Camping Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkswyo View Post

The bad thing about it is that after time it will probably settle out from vibration and you will loose the R-value. I was shocked and disapointed also, along with a few other things they did to save costs. I do however really like the trailer. Great floorplan for my needs. I looked at many others and kept coming back to the 19rr. Nice trailer for the money.

Fiberglass batting was a good idea. I never thought of that!

All in all we are very happy with it also. It is a perfect match us and our needs. We upgraded from an A-liner which also had it issues. I think all manufactures cut corner in order to be competitive with out researching the end results.

2013 Grey Wolf 19RR
2003 Silverado 2500HD
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
rodcop9405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #222

The bottom line is everything they leave off or cut corners on is another dollar in their pocket. I knew when I bought it what I was getting for the most part so I can't complain too much. I tend to re-engineer and rebuild most things I buy regardless if they are new or not! My son asked me one day," Do you ever buy anything and not rebuild it?" I had to laugh! Nope son, I guess I don't.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodcop9405 View Post
I did run into one surprise and disappointment while working on my unit. I had the stereo on and noticed a rattling noise coming from one of the speakers so took it down. What I found was piece of scrap wire that was laying on the back of the speaker, no biggie. The surprise and disappointment was that I found roof space was filled with shredded upholstery material and chunks of foam for insulation.

Has any body else found this?

DAMN Rod...I'm kind of afraid of lookin any farther now.
As for your pix, I think you're limited to 3 maybe 4 pix per post. Knock em back a little and repost and go from there.
That last pic you posted though is more than disconcerting however!

Sportster
...kinda skeery but not surprising
Old 05-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #224

Ceiling Insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodcop9405 View Post
I did run into one surprise and disappointment while working on my unit. I had the stereo on and noticed a rattling noise coming from one of the speakers so took it down. What I found was piece of scrap wire that was laying on the back of the speaker, no biggie. The surprise and disappointment was that I found roof space was filled with shredded upholstery material and chunks of foam for insulation.

Has any body else found this?
I too realized I was buying an inexpensive trailer and love the 19RR floor plan, but why do they do this stuff. It would almost be better if they didn't stuff the ceiling with scraps. Kind of like those "pillows" that came on the bed, it was just the pillow sham stuffed with scraps of material. I mean, I would rather just have found the shams folded up on the bed and I would realize that I needed to furnish the pillows.

While I don't expect my 19RR to be a 4-season, full-time live in trailer like the 5th wheel I would like to own when I retire, but I did a little research on just what Cherokee-Grey Wolf claims they insulate their trailers to.

Here is what is on their website:
CONSTRUCTION FEATURES
  • 3/8" Walkable Roof Decking
  • Radius Truss Roof Rafters
  • 5/8" Tongue and Groove Plywood Floor
  • 2" x 3" Floor Joists
  • Powder Coated, Rust Resistant Frame
  • R7 Fiberglass Insulation
  • Linoleum Front to Back
  • Roto Cast (Seamless) Holding Tanks
  • 12" on Average Side Wall Stud
  • Galvanized Steel High Wind Bands
So, do we feel the ceiling/roof is "R7 Fiberglass Insulation" or are they talking the walls? Maybe they mean "Chunks of R7 Insulation" are dispersed throughout the ceiling!

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7l
2006 Road Star Warrior
heytomgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #225

I don't want this thread to turn in to a bitch session. (I think there's another thread for that) We bought it for the price point and the floor plan. It meets our needs almost perfectly and its an easy pull down the road. It was a great excuse to go out and upgrade from a 6-cyl Explorer to the F-250 PSD we got now. (big boy toys)

I'm in the middle of extending the bed inside the trailer by roughly 10" so a conventional mattress will fit on it without sliding off the bottom end. This requires removing the bed frame that's screwed to the floor. The construction is 1x2's, a "bracing" 2x2 on each side and the thin sheeting veneer. Really? For a bed frame that is rated at roughly 350lbs they use 1x2's?
That said - short of rebuilding the entire frame and adding my own veneer, I'm adding reinforcement to their frame so it will be sturdier. (I'll post pics)

The foam RodCop found in the ceiling gives me pause to say the least. That said, short of ripping off the top skin and adding the reflective roll insulation they sell at hardware stores, I gotta take what the factory gives on this one...at least til one of us learns how to skin the damn thing out and post pics! (which I don't think is too far off!)

My problem is the rest of you dang DIY upgraders on here. STOP already with the mods!!! When in hell's name am I supposed to have a beer and enjoy my trailer for cryin out loud! SHEESH!!! After I finish the bed/underbed storage, my wife has me doing the sewer hose storage upgrade and the speaker upgrade in the ceiling/outside. After that...STOP!!! YER KILLIN ME HERE!!!!

Sportster
...for the love of pete...give it a rest already
Old 05-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #226

The above whiney a88ed post was meant as a tongue in cheek (completely) rant against absolutely nothing or anybody in particular. As I said in a previous post, we're really geekin out over this trailer!

Ya'll have fun - Its Polski Day here in Kansas City, Kansas so I get the day off from slavin in the "house in a box" as my wife calls it.

Sportster
...kialbasa n beer...yeah buddy!
Old 05-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #227
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Allright then I wont post the speaker, sub woofer, and stereo I upgraded today.

Aww, who amI kiddin....

And the sound is outdtanding
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
Allright then I wont post the speaker, sub woofer, and stereo I upgraded today.

Aww, who amI kiddin....

And the sound is outdtanding
Looks good. Give us the specs on your new setup!

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #229
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Nothing real special, it's a Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD, so I still have my DVD functions and the fade function takes care of the inside/outside speaker switching.
It has a touch screen and much better volume control than the "Touch Audio" unit that came with it.

As you can see, I painted the mount black cause I didn't want to try to match the wood color with stain, but the mount is made from a piece of 1x8.
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #230

Scot,
Great tip on the white fence post. I've been debating what I should do to hold the assembled Rhino hose. I was thinking of mounting it closer to the side so crawling is not easy anymore!
Thx, Clint

Tags
19rr grey wolf