Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #441
Live 2 Ride Ride 2 Live

I have a GMC Sierra 2003, with a 5.3 engine
. I think this truck should pull the 2012 19rr fairly well. I am adding a transmission cooler this week. Any comments on trany cooler are welcome. Also I have to replace the tires on the trailer. There is one tire on the front passenger side that is severely worn has flat spots on the outer most tread area and the tire behind it has similar traits. The driver side tires do not look like that but are worn on the edges with more tread in the center 4 lines of tread. Any thoughts on what is causing that. Not sure how many miles are on the tires as I bought it used.

Rick Kelly
RKelly056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #442

I have same truck 2005 it works great
PeteG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #443
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKelly056 View Post
I have a GMC Sierra 2003, with a 5.3 engine
. I think this truck should pull the 2012 19rr fairly well. I am adding a transmission cooler this week. Any comments on trany cooler are welcome. Also I have to replace the tires on the trailer. There is one tire on the front passenger side that is severely worn has flat spots on the outer most tread area and the tire behind it has similar traits. The driver side tires do not look like that but are worn on the edges with more tread in the center 4 lines of tread. Any thoughts on what is causing that. Not sure how many miles are on the tires as I bought it used.
I have the same issue with the tires on my 21RR. I have just short of 7000 miles on the trailer and really dont understand why all my tires are wearing on the inside, both sides, both axels........???
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #444
Live 2 Ride Ride 2 Live

Has anyone changed tire types yet or are you putting the same brand back on? I am changing to Goodyear Marathon Brand. Radial Tire.

Rick Kelly
Old 03-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #445
phat phrog stunt crew

dont understand why all my tires are wearing on the inside, both sides, both axels........???

sounds like an alignment problem to me, but i am no mechanic. camber may be too much one way or the other. trailer may have been overloaded during travel, axle to light for trailer, cheapo chinese maypops instead of good quality tires.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #446
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Quote:
Has anyone changed tire types yet or are you putting the same brand back on? I am changing to Goodyear Marathon Brand. Radial Tire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
dont understand why all my tires are wearing on the inside, both sides, both axels........???

sounds like an alignment problem to me, but i am no mechanic. camber may be too much one way or the other. trailer may have been overloaded during travel, axle to light for trailer, cheapo chinese maypops instead of good quality tires.
R, I havnt replaced mine yet but will in May. Let me k ow how it works for ya.

D, its really odd, all the wear is on the inside edge of the tires, all 4 and worse on the non loaded side.......
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #447

Tire discussions is like opening pandora's box. This what I think I know. To be worn on one edge is an alignment problem. Typically the camber is off towards the positive. Negative camber the top of the wheel leans in towards the middle of the trailer, positive the opposite. However, if toe-in is off you can have similar wear indicators. Ideally the tires should roll straight ahead. To achieve this, with it standing still the tires should point slightly "pigeon toed" or have a slight positive toe-in. So when under way, they track straight. It seems that too much toe-in would wear a tire on the outside... not enough on the inside. Again, negative camber would do that too. Both edges wearing out prematurely tells me, more than likely inflation pressure has been too low, or the weight too high. In my case, when I bought the trailer and started home, I noticed too much sidewall deflection and checked with a tire gauge. Only 1 tire was good, 2 were way low and 1 way high. I adjusted for a little under that maximum. Since then the tires have about 8000 miles on them. I have increased pressure so I am now 7 lbs over the max. This has helped, but I am afraid running too low for too long, the tires will have to be replaced in a few thousand miles. I am probably going with either Carlisle or Goodyear. I don't really think it makes much difference, both are made in China. At least, these small size trailer tires are. I will stay with the ST rated tires, however.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #448
Live 2 Ride Ride 2 Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Tire discussions is like opening pandora's box. This what I think I know. To be worn on one edge is an alignment problem. Typically the camber is off towards the positive. Negative camber the top of the wheel leans in towards the middle of the trailer, positive the opposite. However, if toe-in is off you can have similar wear indicators. Ideally the tires should roll straight ahead. To achieve this, with it standing still the tires should point slightly "pigeon toed" or have a slight positive toe-in. So when under way, they track straight. It seems that too much toe-in would wear a tire on the outside... not enough on the inside. Again, negative camber would do that too. Both edges wearing out prematurely tells me, more than likely inflation pressure has been too low, or the weight too high. In my case, when I bought the trailer and started home, I noticed too much sidewall deflection and checked with a tire gauge. Only 1 tire was good, 2 were way low and 1 way high. I adjusted for a little under that maximum. Since then the tires have about 8000 miles on them. I have increased pressure so I am now 7 lbs over the max. This has helped, but I am afraid running too low for too long, the tires will have to be replaced in a few thousand miles. I am probably going with either Carlisle or Goodyear. I don't really think it makes much difference, both are made in China. At least, these small size trailer tires are. I will stay with the ST rated tires, however.
Thanks for the info. I will be goimg to Goodyear Marathon. I will have the tire installer look at the alignment also. I kinda thought the wear of the other tires would have been due to low air pressure. I will mav inflate and keep them there. I hope to have better luck with Goodyear radials than the factory tires.

Rick Kelly
Old 03-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #449
Live 2 Ride Ride 2 Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
I have same truck 2005 it works great
Have you put a transmission cooler on it yet?

Rick Kelly
Old 03-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #450

Quote:
Have you put a transmission cooler on it yet?
Mine had one
Old 03-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #451
Live 2 Ride Ride 2 Live

Quote:
Mine had one
Do you think it has been usefull? Is it worth the cost?

Rick Kelly
Old 03-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #452

Quote:
Do you think it has been usefull? Is it worth the cost?
yes you want transmission to stay cool
Old 03-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #453

Quote:
yes you want transmission to stay cool
I was told buy a trailer dealer they don't put coolers in trucks any more , he said they haven't installed one in years because it make the check engine light throw a code because it does something with the computer in the truck so not sure if I'm going to put one on mine. You might want to check with your truck dealer .
Thanks Sam 2581
sam2581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #454

In Canada & possibly in the USA, just about any U-Haul dealer can install a transmission cooler & usually for a very good price
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #455
Drinkin beer on the beach

These trucks have a cooler in them. Adding an additional cooler will help, adding a shift kit will really help, or just using a programmer to raise the line pressure and shorten the shifts will make the tranny last longer. A bigger cooler shouldn't throw a code, but using the programmer, you should be able to change the parameters to make it not turn on the CEL
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #456
Live 2 Ride Ride 2 Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Johnson View Post
These trucks have a cooler in them. Adding an additional cooler will help, adding a shift kit will really help, or just using a programmer to raise the line pressure and shorten the shifts will make the tranny last longer. A bigger cooler shouldn't throw a code, but using the programmer, you should be able to change the parameters to make it not turn on the CEL
Well now I have just been told that my truck has an EOM cooler already on it. Should I go ahead and put the larger one on it. My truck has 125000 miles and would like to keep it a while longer. Just dont want to spend money on something if I dont need it. Any GOOD advice is welcome. I have not had any transmission problems and dont want to later.

Rick Kelly
Old 03-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #457

Quote:
Well now I have just been told that my truck has an EOM cooler already on it. Should I go ahead and put the larger one on it. My truck has 125000 miles and would like to keep it a while longer. Just dont want to spend money on something if I dont need it. Any GOOD advice is welcome. I have not had any transmission problems and dont want to later.
I should have told you to ck with the dealer you might have the tow pkg. in the truck. Also get this Tekonsha Engineering 90885 Prodigy Brake Control : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 03-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #458
Live 2 Ride Ride 2 Live

Quote:
I should have told you to ck with the dealer you might have the tow pkg. in the truck. Also get this Tekonsha Engineering 90885 Prodigy Brake Control : Amazon.com : Automotive
Thanks already got that.It works nice.

Rick Kelly
Old 03-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #459
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Its extra insurance. Etrailer.com, or many other retailers can get you set up with a couple of fittings for the tranny cooler lines so you dont even have to cut anything.

At 100k, did you do a tranny service, fluid and filter change? If you havent, get it done and have the trans guy put a shift kit in it. Its an extra $100 or $125 plus labor.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #460
phat phrog stunt crew

b&m makes an excellent shift kit. art carr does as well.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
19rr grey wolf