Originally Posted by mack63
WolfWhistle nice work. I'm picking up a 21RR on Saturday and my first mod. will be more tie downs and a flip up wheel chock. Please tell me how you added those. Did you cut the membrane underneath? Also, could you post pics of the screen door you added?
Sorry this is long winded...
The chock I have is the 18ga 21" model the tie-downs are rated at 6000#, but the limiting factor will be attachment method (the floor, the screws, etc.). In my case, I only haul a 660# Kawasaki Vulcan. Installing the chock: First, yes you have to cut into the membrane, but its no sweat. More about that later. I measured every hole 10 times before I drilled the first hole! You are limited how far forward you can install the chock, unless you want to remove the fresh water tank.... I didn't... and of course where between the joists the pieces will fit, as well as making it work for the toy you are going to haul. Joists are 2" x 3"s and run north and south... not a factor, but joist farther towards the rear are doubled up. Assuming our units are the same size, I can give you exact measurements if you need me to. What I did to start was to remove the most forward / left original tie down. It is just screwed into a floor joist (they all are... not all perfectly centered on them)... you will find the white silicone holds very well. I am sure the original tie downs would hold good enough, by they way, I just like the idea of steel plates and bolts through the floor, plus I put the tie down where they need to be. The tie downs I bought came with a steel plate, but had to local purchase 3/8" x 2" carriage bolts and stop nuts. So, after removing the tie-down I mentioned, I stuck an "skinny" 18" drill bit (you can use anything that is long and pointy enough) through the membrane so I could see it underneath and take measurements from it. From underneath I determined that I could cut the rectangle hole (for the chock) something like 20 inches forward of the drill bit. Finding the joists is easy, just push up on the membrane... they run north and south, by the way, and some farther towards the rear are doubled up. If memory services there is one at the wheel well... with 9" clear space between that one and the next (moving to the right)... then another 9" space... the center line space is 14" and it repeats on the right side. I mounted the chock into the 14" center space but oriented as much to the left as I could and still work the washers and nuts. It is as far forward in that 14" space as possible since there is a steel cross member there. What I did was cut the membrane and insulation like a capital "I" in all three locations. What I should've done was cut the membrane back about 2 or 3 inches back from the steel cross member from side to side then down each side just past where the tie downs will go leaving about 3 inches of the membrane to tape to. You "could" only cut the insulation at each location (I did), but better to cut it where you just made the large "C" opening in the membrane. The tie downs are centered into the 9" spaces... the right one you can see in the picture, which should have been farther right, but the cabinet is in the way. The left one isn't shown, but is in the 9" space between wheel well joist and the next one. I determined that for my bike the tie down should be 17" back from the center of the front wheel to put a slightly forward pull against the chock. So after I determined where everything should go, I drilled up from the bottom for each hole... marked... drilled and cut based on those holes. Had DW work the top while I worked the wrenches from below. Putting the membrane back together: I found that 3" Gorilla "duct" tape holds very well. Just as a precaution I screwed a couple of fender washers into joists through the membrane and insulation... near the tape patches as possible. I am attaching a rough spread sheet drawing of the floor and pictures of the screen.... I can zip it down and get another picture today... the screen came from Welcome to Garage Door Screens
his website had issues, but the screen (with 3 zippers) is prefect and delivered ahead of promised date!