Old 08-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #371
Drinkin beer on the beach

My build thread

The panels I used
http://www.everbrightsolar.net/120w-solar-pa120.html

Solar Cell, Solar Panel, Solar PV, Solar Products, Charge Controllers, Solar Trackers

You may have to do some shopping and calling around. Lots of changes going on in the solar world. Legislation was passed that called for huge import taxes on a lot of the inexpensive panels coming out of China.

Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:20 AM   #372
Drinkin beer on the beach

I've never gotten a straight answer, from somebody who's done it, about whether the batteries absolutely have to match. I'd bet though, that your bank will exhibit all the worst traits of each battery. Not that any of it will even be noticeable, especially with current draw in the <20A range.

Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #373

I can't say I have ever used two"different" batteries together. What I have always read and always done is use two identical batteries together. The theory behind it makes sense, so that what I have always done. I have thought about the solor but with my generator and two battery setup I have never really seen the need. I have boondocked during fairly cold weather with this setup for two weeks and never had any problems.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #374
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Johnson View Post
I've never gotten a straight answer, from somebody who's done it, about whether the batteries absolutely have to match. I'd bet though, that your bank will exhibit all the worst traits of each battery. Not that any of it will even be noticeable, especially with current draw in the <20A range.
This is a true statement. If your pack has one battery weaker than the other, the other will try to make up for the weaker thus compromising stonger battery.
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #375

Here is my "on board" generator setup for my 19RR. Generator is a Yamaha EF2400ISHC. This is a 2011 19RR but could be done to just about any trailer if ya wanted.

I did this because just about all the places I camp are atv parks without hookups and I wanted a simple setup without putting a generator on the ground. I also like to be able to pull into rest-stops and start the generator without hooking up cords and such. With this done I can go down the road with the gen on if I wanted, but never have.

Mods to complete the install-

1) I had to cut out the factory angle iron that held the battery box.
2) I welded in new 2"X2" angle to form a square the size of the base of the Yamaha gen to sit in.
3) I built and welded a new battery tray to hang on the side of the trailer tongue, see pic.
4) I purchased a 30amp transfer switch from here- Progressive Dynamics 30 Amp Generator Transfer Switch - Progressive Dynamics PD5110010V - Generator Accessories - Camping World I installed this behind the fuse panel, one side goes to the factory male plug on the side of the camper and the other side of the switch is a 10g cord similar to the 30' factory cable run permanently along the frame under the trailer up to the generator. This allows me to just start the gen and the switch will grab the gen power when it sees 120v.
5) I had to move the propane bottle rack about 4" forward and use a soft cover because the molded cover now hits the jack. I do not like the soft cover and will revisit this problem.

The only problems-
1) The frame manufacture would have a cow if I wanted warranty work.
2) If the gen is pushing the A/C it is LOUD in the bedroom since the gen is less than a foot from me when sleeping.

Happy Pimping!!!

Russ-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(4).jpg
Views:	145
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	18473   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(5).jpg
Views:	139
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	18474  
Old 08-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #376

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000XLifted View Post
Here is my "on board" generator setup for my 19RR. Generator is a Yamaha EF2400ISHC. This is a 2011 19RR but could be done to just about any trailer if ya wanted.

I did this because just about all the places I camp are atv parks without hookups and I wanted a simple setup without putting a generator on the ground. I also like to be able to pull into rest-stops and start the generator without hooking up cords and such. With this done I can go down the road with the gen on if I wanted, but never have.

Mods to complete the install-

1) I had to cut out the factory angle iron that held the battery box.
2) I welded in new 2"X2" angle to form a square the size of the base of the Yamaha gen to sit in.
3) I built and welded a new battery tray to hang on the side of the trailer tongue, see pic.
4) I purchased a 30amp transfer switch from here- Progressive Dynamics 30 Amp Generator Transfer Switch - Progressive Dynamics PD5110010V - Generator Accessories - Camping World I installed this behind the fuse panel, one side goes to the factory male plug on the side of the camper and the other side of the switch is a 10g cord similar to the 30' factory cable run permanently along the frame under the trailer up to the generator. This allows me to just start the gen and the switch will grab the gen power when it sees 120v.
5) I had to move the propane bottle rack about 4" forward and use a soft cover because the molded cover now hits the jack. I do not like the soft cover and will revisit this problem.

The only problems-
1) The frame manufacture would have a cow if I wanted warranty work.
2) If the gen is pushing the A/C it is LOUD in the bedroom since the gen is less than a foot from me when sleeping.

Happy Pimping!!!

Russ-
Yeah, you've definately compromised your frame warranty, but if you haven't had problems yet, you probably won't.

I would have done things a bit differently - you've definately increased your toungue weight this way. Might not be an issue for you.

What you might want to think about is a platform on the back of your RV instead. Since you can weld, could be an easy project. Moving your generator to that back would solve your noise issue as well as give you more room for other stuff. You could also fabricate a sound deadening enclosure that would also secure your generator. Also, that would leave you with room on the toungue for a second, or 2 larger batteries - leaving you more time before you'd need to fire up the genset.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Yeah, you've definately compromised your frame warranty, but if you haven't had problems yet, you probably won't.

I would have done things a bit differently - you've definately increased your toungue weight this way. Might not be an issue for you.

What you might want to think about is a platform on the back of your RV instead. Since you can weld, could be an easy project. Moving your generator to that back would solve your noise issue as well as give you more room for other stuff. You could also fabricate a sound deadening enclosure that would also secure your generator. Also, that would leave you with room on the toungue for a second, or 2 larger batteries - leaving you more time before you'd need to fire up the genset.

The 19RR is a toy hauler so I have a big stupid back door in the way of a rear mount gen. I did look to see if I could put the gen off to the side in the back to avoid the door but just not enough room. The gen is about 85LBS so I would assume the hitch weight is up by about that, I have plenty of capacity with my tow vehicle.

I have since installed 2 optima red top battery's to help with storage capacity. One batt is in box on the tongue and the other is just inside the storage compartment.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #378

Another option might be installing a receiver hitch on the back bumper. Go back to the early part of this thread and it will show how others have put a hitch on the back to hold bicycles and such. Again, having it on the back of a Toyhauler would mean you would need to move it to use the ramp, so having it on the tongue is a lot less work. I know, put a receiver hitch on the back, buy one of those cargo racks at Harbor Freight and put 85lbs of gear or icechests on that to counter balance the generator on the tongue.

P.S. "big stupid back door"? Isn't that why you have a Toy Hauler and take it to ATV parks?

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7l
2006 Road Star Warrior
heytomgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by heytomgraywolf View Post
Another option might be installing a receiver hitch on the back bumper. Go back to the early part of this thread and it will show how others have put a hitch on the back to hold bicycles and such. Again, having it on the back of a Toyhauler would mean you would need to move it to use the ramp, so having it on the tongue is a lot less work. I know, put a receiver hitch on the back, buy one of those cargo racks at Harbor Freight and put 85lbs of gear or icechests on that to counter balance the generator on the tongue.

P.S. "big stupid back door"? Isn't that why you have a Toy Hauler and take it to ATV parks?

I love my back door

The most important goal for this mod was no gen lifting and quick start-up and shutdown. When I go to WV for one of my favorite ridding spots it is about 10 hours one way, I stop to stay over at rest areas and don't want to put a gen on the ground. I also don't want to move it if I need to lower the ramp. I guess I could get a swing away rack like spare tires use to move it when I lower the door.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #380

I've heard that one needs to watch their back door when in WV.

You could fabricate a platform on a swing arm that could be moved out of the way so you could use the rear door.

Probably complicated fabrication, and heavy if not made from aluminum.

Just an idea.

Don't toy haulers have a generator compartment? As well as on-board fuel tank?

Tags
19rr grey wolf