Old 06-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #601

Pimp your Fridge

OK... not sure if anyone else out there is as obsessed as my wife at monitoring the temperature in the fridge, but we bought one of those indoor/outdoor wireless digital thermometers at Walmart and instead of the outdoor sensor staying outside of the camper to let me know what the temperature outdoors is, my wife has the sensor in the fridge all the time so she can "monitor" the temperature in the fridge.

So, with it not being cold enough for her (she freaks if it goes above 40 F), I read on how you can make your fridge colder and with our digital thermometer I can prove it to her. The fridge that came with our 2012 19RR has the thermostat (thermocouple, thermistor, whatever) on a plastic clip that clips the the metal fins. It shows to make it colder, you should slide it up to the top edge of the fins. However, it seems when you try to do this you run out of cable and it pulls out of the clip, etc. What you want to do is move the sensor further away from the "middle" (up and down) of the fins since the fins are the coldest at the center. Moving the sensor to the top edge is better than the bottom edge (slightly) just because cold air falls so while both the top and bottom edges of the fins are warmer than the center, putting the sensor in warmer place makes the fridge run more and get colder.

I read somewhere to simply take the sensor and clip entirely off the fin. I did this and actually let the sensor lay below the fins and though I mentioned cold air drops, just taking it completely off the fins is much warmer than being on a fin and the fridge will run more and get colder.

So, probably everyone already knows to pre-chill what you are packing in the fridge in your fridge at home if possible (so it doesn't take so long to catch back up), but moving the sensor off the fins does well too.

If you are up to more pimping of the fridge (I told you, my wife obsesses about her dairy staying cold), she also had me buy this fan off of ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOMETIC-NORC...item3a9173a143
I saw the flashlight battery powered ones on Camping world, but didn't want to be buying batteries, so this one connects directly to the light switch. (Yes, there is hot 12V DC all the time, even when the light is off and the door is closed to this switch/light, so you can wire the fan so it runs all the time the fridge is turned on (Gas or electric... light runs off of 12V DC either way). Pretty simple to install, the seller provides pictures and drawings and this too will circulate the air in your fridge so everything stays closer to the same temperature and your wife is not moving the outdoor temperature sensor to different parts of the fridge worrying that parts of the fridge are not as cold as others!

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7l
2006 Road Star Warrior
heytomgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #602

Hi Smithee. I did not want to mount my chock to the floor either since the gray and fresh water tanks are under there. With this thread now exceeding 600 posts and 61 pages, I never thought it would grow that big when I started it. I have trouble finding my own posts from 3 years ago. Go to page 2, post 11. That is where I started the base to my chock. Then on page 3, posts 27 and 28 I have the rest of it. It's kind of big to remove and put in, but it is large and strong enough to hold my 600# RoadStar Warrior. I either toss the chock in the back of my pickup once unloaded, or I have also just put it under the trailer and run a cable lock through it if I am going to be gone from the campsite all day. After reviewing posts 11, 27 and 28, let me know if you have any questions.

Tom

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7l
2006 Road Star Warrior
heytomgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithee View Post
I hear you, but there are several folks who have posted here that raising the front end works just fine. In terms of a longer-term solution, though, I think the diamond plate or even a 4' piece of 3/4 ply on a piano hinge combined with taller bumpers installed at the top outside of the rear door would be the best way to go.

Another issue on the chock - I have a similar chock that holds the bike up once I'm rolled into it. Course, you have to strap it down once off the bike.

How do you fasten the chock to the floor? I've been hesitant to drilll through the floor. I'm handy but not that handy. This might be a mod I'll have the local muffler/trailer repair shop do for me.
That's exactly what I do (using the bumpers and the piano hinge ramp) and it works great. For added clearance, I can always jack the trailer up a little but the goal is to never have to do that and never have to mess with assembling a ramp at camp. I would also be concerned about raising the hitch and not having the camper level when I was travelling. I use a mount-less wheel chock so no holes into the floor either.

Sadly hail claimed my 19RR so off it goes. I removed my ramp, bumpers and my dealer is going to happily attach it to my new trailer. I have decided to upgrade to a 25RR for a little more space.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #604

I am wanting to add an electric jack to front of mine (21RR). I want one with a lot of travel because of my driveway parking angle. Any suggestions on what you have used?
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Nights camped 2016-43
Nights camped 2017-47....
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #605

Wheel chock mount

I use a harbor freight wheel chock and welded an angle iron the width of the front tie downs and attached two j bolts. I put a rubber mat down and hook the j bolts to the tie downs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small chock.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	57117  
Old 07-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #606

If when you raise the front of the trailer to load your bike and your worried that it will roll out just leave it in gear until you get it tied down.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #607

Oneeye, I have the same Harbor Freight wheel chock, works great. I like what you done with welding a bar to it and utilizing the tie downs to secure. As an alternative I used 1/2" plywood drilled holes where the wheel chock footing goes in, tying down the motorcycle using all four tie downs. I discovered the wheel chock wore the floor down a little so I modified the plywood by routing the plywood around the hole for a flush fit and gluing heavy duty vinyl tile underneath. I also form fitting the plywood and added felt around the edges to protect the edges of the cabinetry. I hope to and a picture of this set up soon. I wish I would have saw your set up first, I would have looked into fabricating the same or similar deal.
robcsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #608

closet shelves

I went to Home Depot an bought a wire shelf from their closet organizer section. They have a deep shelf that fits perfectly in both closets. I had the shelves cut to the proper width and one did both closets with 6 inches left
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00980 (800x600).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	57769   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00981 (800x600).jpg
Views:	105
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	57770  
Old 07-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #609

Would you mind telling me what tow vehicle you have along with what you think the trailer weight is and tongue weight please. Interested a 19rr or 21rr and question the weights on the website
Old 07-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #610

Clutchd, you can have a look at the signatures of the posters. Most of them have the model toy hauler and the tow vehicle. As far as the tongue weight and total weight is concerned, I have not weighted the trailer on the scales.

robcsatx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
19rr grey wolf