Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Has anyone thought about adding a ball valve to the fresh water tank, low point drain pigtail?

It has a screw cap and when you dump the fresh water... you may not WANT to dump the whole tank , just some of the water...as if you may of over filled it. Just a pain in the butt to recap with the screw on cap.. also easy to lose the cap!

I can't imagine it would be that difficult to do. Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions?
I am going to add this mod. Here it is done on the same model I have should work for yours as well. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post122239
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Namchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #122

I did a similar fence-post drain hose storage, and did a second one right next to it, where I store a 3'x4' roll-up throw rug/door mat for outside and the bows to "lift" my awning. I then used the 4x4 bumper tube storage for one of these Compact Folding Ladders - Product - Camping World . Fits perfectly, in fact a bit tightly. I have to use by awning rod to hook it, to pull it out.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #123
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Olga, where did you get your mud flaps? Did you have any issues mounting them on your trailer?

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #124
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Olga, how do you attach your spare tire to the trailer tire mount you installed? Are you using large wing nuts?

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #125

No wing nuts...just nuts and lock washers..
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #126

Red face

Quote:
Olga, where did you get your mud flaps? Did you have any issues mounting them on your trailer?

Paula, I bought a sheet of diamond plate from home depot and cut it in half. I rounded the outer corners to give it more appeal and drilled it into what looks like a shelf bracket that extends from the trailer frame, (see pic). I also used loads of silicone to protect the drilled holes from rusting and give it a water tight seal. Works like a charm!!!

Olga
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0503.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	9924  
Old 01-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #127
itch'n to road trip

Olga, You are my heroine! you are one rock'n lady! A woman with power tools and KNOW how to use them!! Awesome job on the mud flaps and the spare tire mount!!

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #128

All looks good. Dude, you have been busy!
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #129

You people are amazingly inventive. Thank you for all of the ideas. I really liked the sliding rear screen on ramp door, the hose storage box, and the spare tire mount, not to mention the ball valve on the fresh water drain.
What a bunch of thinkers you are.
jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #130
itch'n to road trip

Hey y'all,
I was reading other threads on the forum and came across "Forest River Parts" from a guy who also has a 19RR. I thought it may be helpful for some of us out there. Here is what he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkswyo View Post
I called Forest River and got re-directed several times. I ended up talking to Jamie at 260-593-2366. She is the Wolf Pack/Grey Wolf parts person. She was very nice and helpful. Here's what I found out. You can order cabinet doors and hardware from them. Doors can be a custom size if needed. The doors are stained and finshed to match. Pricing for the doors was around $24 each and the hardware for the doors was very cheap. Other pieces needed I will custom build.
This is a modification I am definatley going to do. It would give me a much better storage cabinet for food, pots and pans, etc. The door on the underbed storage would make it much handier and usable without having to lift the bed. Spare tire will be mounted on the back. They should come from the factory this way.
I just ordered my trailer and it is still 4 to 6 weeks out and I can't wait to get started on the mods!

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #131
itch'n to road trip

Olga,
You OBVIOUSLY have the tools and skills to cut and bend diamond plate. I really don't think I have that skill. Do you find the mud flaps keep your trailer cleaner? I thought about adding one of those brush type mud flaps,(look like grass hanging down)to the back to keep the ramp door a little cleaner.

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #132

Quote:
Olga,
You OBVIOUSLY have the tools and skills to cut and bend diamond plate. I really don't think I have that skill. Do you find the mud flaps keep your trailer cleaner? I thought about adding one of those brush type mud flaps,(look like grass hanging down)to the back to keep the ramp door a little cleaner.
Paula, yes, they help tremendously and you don't need specialized tools for what I did. I used a jigsaw with saw blade that will cut metal, tie down clamps to hold it steady and a round something to mark the round corner I was about to cut. I also used a file to file down the cut. Nothing to it....you can do it!!

Olga.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #133

Cudos to Lippert Products

Well you can be assured that Lippert Products will stand behind their products. I have a Lippert power tongue jack on my 19RR and the On/Off switch that operates the LED "docking" lights broke (good thing it wasn't the EXT/RET switch to operate the jack!).

I tried to find a rocker switch locally, and found many $2 to $3 12V switches at Radio Shack, but none of them quite fit the rectangular hole in the power jack. So I called Lippert hoping to get a P/N or vendor that I could get this switch from or maybe even a free switch since I bought my trailer in May of 2011 and it was less than a year old.

Lippert could not send me just the switch, but offered to send a new jack to a local RV shop and pay to have a new one put on! Well, the time and energy to hitch it up, drop it off at an RV shop, go back and get it and pull it back home, instead they offered if I was comfortable replacing it myself (I see 3 bolts and I will have to butt splice the power cables going to the jack) that they would send an entire new jack to my house!

So, even after offering a second time that they could just give me the P/N for the switch, they felt they should follow procedure and replace the whole jack, and they don't want the old one back!

Now I will have to decide if I pop out the switch on the new one and put it in my existing jack and use it until it dies, knowing I have a brand new jack waiting to replace it with, or just put the entire new jack on my 19RR and keep the original jack as a backup/spare?

I sure feel good how Lippert stands behind their products (at least during the first year)!

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7l
2006 Road Star Warrior
heytomgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #134

Hi names Russ we bought our 2012 19RR last summer, and just found out about this site, its great, and alot of great ideas. Like the window in the door, also ive noticed alot of people having the ramp to steep problem, I dont no if this will work on all years of campers, but I have a 99 ultra classic dresser and had the same problem when loading, but what i found works great, I raise my front stablizers as high as they go, then lower the rear ones for extra stability and drive bike right in and strap it down, then lower it down, works great for us, hope that helps a few people
russ54220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #135

Welcome Russ!! Great tip with the ramp! :-)
Old 02-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #136

Hey Russ - posted this over on another thread - might help ya a little.
and when you load your motorcycle, jack up the front end and put some blocks and a ramp under the door to lessen the angle tween the ramp and the hauler floor. Do this lest ye rip the kickstand spring off the bottom of your bike. (yeah - did that...once)
Fortunately the H-D dealer was within twenty minutes and they stayed open to sell me a $7.00 spring.

Lotsa folks on here w/ great experiences. Check the "Pimp my" thread, some great ideas there.

Take it on a "shake down" cruise of sorts. Pick a local campground and spend the night. We went to a local county park. We found out ALOT about many things...like that heavy-assed dining table they say goes inside. NOT!!
(we put ours outside by the wheel well and use TV trays inside and the campground picnic table outside)

Get an equalizer hitch. Period.
Make sure you got enough tow vehicle. (That Smartcar won't get it - neither will that Explorer!)

Check back on this site often - there's plenty of winter projects I've picked up from here that I'll be doing. (Spare tire, extra cabinets, etc)

Most of all - enjoy the experience. Oh - savor the journey - its half the fun!

Sportster
...lotta work to do this winter
hd87sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #137

thanks, will be checking back often, was going to ask about towing vehicle, we have a 97 ford f150 w\5.4 in ti and the tow pakage, havent towed camper with it, had a 89 chevy and it did not have enough power especially on hills but we do have the stabalizers, we got them after are first trip out, what a differance looking foward to diffrent tips take care
russ54220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #138

Check out the Tow Vehicle thread and you'll see what most of us tow with.
I kinda kicked it in the shorts and frankly I'm glad I did. Went with an 08 F-250 Super Cab with the 6.4 Diesel. I tow that 19rr like it isn't even there lemme tell ya.
But to each their own - That 5.4 Triton ought to get you down the road ok. You may want to add some beefed up shocks to it on all four corners. Maybe a stabilizer bar too. I'd definitely get an Equalizer hitch too - makes passin the semis and dealin with cross winds as easy as poppin a beer on a summer day.

Take it easy - enjoy the trailer.
Me?
I wanna hire some o these folks to help me with the mods!

Sportster
...me n a powersaw...oooyeah!!!
hd87sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #139
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Welcome Russ. I tow my 21RR with a 09 Expedition with tow package, it's rated at 9200 lbs and I pull loaded at about 7200 lbs. It does real well with no ill effects. So, your F150 should do just fine.

As Sportster said, get out and enjoy
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #140

I finally got my 19RR last week after 8 weeks. I have been busy with mods. I put a window in the coach door. It is a slider so you can open it. Also nice because you can actually see out of it. I insulated and and sheathed the storage compartment in the front and installed a 12 volt light in there as well. Installed a Tornado black tank flush system. Iordered cabinet doors today from Forest river. I am going to install a cabinet door on the entertainment center cubby hole, one for the storage under the bed and get rid of the cargo net on the overhead cabinet and replace it with cabinet doors as well. Hoping the weather stays nice so I can get it out soon!
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
19rr grey wolf