Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #261
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Okay...here's a thought.... I mentioned to my hubby I would like a ceiling vent with a fan in the bed birth of our Graywolf 19RR. Anyone out there think about doing this? Have you done it? was it difficult to do? YES we DO have a/c but many times it so nice to have the windows open and a cool breeze....IDEAS? SUGGESTIONS?

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #262
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Okay...here's a thought.... I mentioned to my hubby I would like a ceiling vent with a fan in the bed birth of our Graywolf 19RR. Anyone out there think about doing this? Have you done it? was it difficult to do? YES we DO have a/c but many times it so nice to have the windows open and a cool breeze....IDEAS? SUGGESTIONS?

The little solar ones won't need any wires run...
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #263
Living on Camping Time

I now have a spare tire carrier I can live with. I went the simple route of purchasing a commercially available folding bumper mount spare tire carrier at my local RV center ($33.00) and then making some minor modification to it. I started out by reversing the mounting plate on the hinged support arm. By doing this it allows the arm to pivot all the way down. I then through bolted it to the rear bumper using square steel tubing, that I picked up from the scrap pile, as a spacer . The thick wall tubing provided a 1-1/4" spacer so the carrier clears the rear door hinges. It only took about an hour and a half to make the mounting plus painting time.

It only takes a few seconds to low it before lowering the door. Not a big enough inconvenience to bother me and the price was right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0002 (Medium).jpg
Views:	226
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	13874   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0003 (Medium).jpg
Views:	171
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	13875   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0005 (Medium).jpg
Views:	185
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	13876   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0006 (Medium).jpg
Views:	168
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	13877   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0010 (Medium).jpg
Views:	159
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	13879  

2013 Grey Wolf 19RR
2003 Silverado 2500HD
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
rodcop9405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #264
Living on Camping Time

The only thing I need now is a new cover to replace the old one that is looking a bit tired...haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0007 (Medium).jpg
Views:	160
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	13882  

2013 Grey Wolf 19RR
2003 Silverado 2500HD
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Old 05-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #265
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Rodcop,

I LIKE IT!

You know I had thought about something like this. I had an old Bronco II that had one of those swing away spare tire set ups.
Yes you had to move it to open the tail gate... but it wan't a big deal.

One question...how heavy is that spare tire to move back up into the upright position?
I set up camp sometimes and I open the ramp door...when my big strong hubby is NOT around.
Just wondering how hard it would be for a lady to get it back in place?

I will have to show this to my hubby. he's going to like this mod!

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #266
itch'n to road trip

Rod cop...

I was looking at your photos... did you add leveling jack?

Yours look like they are further towards the back bumper than ours are on our 2010 Graywolf 19RR.

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #267
itch'n to road trip

Rodcop...

You said you reversing the mounting plate on the hinged support arm in order to allow the arm to pivot all the way down.

How hard was this? Did you have to re-weld the mounting plate? Or was it an unbolt- rebolt issue?

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #268
Living on Camping Time

Quote:
Rod cop...

I was looking at your photos... did you add leveling jack?

Yours look like they are further towards the back bumper than ours are on our 2010 Graywolf 19RR.
When we went to pick-up our 19rr we found that the factory did not install the stab jack as ordered. So the dealer took jacks off his parts shelf and installed them. It actually worked out in our favor because the jacks they added are more heavy duty and better quality.

2013 Grey Wolf 19RR
2003 Silverado 2500HD
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodcop9405 View Post
When we went to pick-up our 19rr we found that the factory did not install the stab jack as ordered. So the dealer took jacks off his parts shelf and installed them. It actually worked out in our favor because the jacks they added are more heavy duty and better quality.
I did notice that my stab jacks on my 19rr are a little cheap. The metal is thinner than on my previous travel trailer. I may eventually change them out for something more substantial.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #270
Living on Camping Time

Quote:
Rodcop,

I LIKE IT!

You know I had thought about something like this. I had an old Bronco II that had one of those swing away spare tire set ups.
Yes you had to move it to open the tail gate... but it wan't a big deal.

One question...how heavy is that spare tire to move back up into the upright position?
I set up camp sometimes and I open the ramp door...when my big strong hubby is NOT around.
Just wondering how hard it would be for a lady to get it back in place?

I will have to show this to my hubby. he's going to like this mod!

I would guess the weight to be about 20# maybe less. It is no heavier
than the door. No welding it is simply unbolt and re-bolt. You just switch the pin and the bolt location.

I added (drilled) two new mounting holes to the mounting plate. Then made the spacers. I centered the plate and clamped it in place while I marked and center punched the spots for the holes in the bumper. The mounting plate has a tang on it for use when mounting to a conventional trailer bumper, it is designed to set on top edge of a square bumper I used it to help me position the plate while marking the mounting holes by placing it against the bottom of the 19rr bumper. That kept the plate in line with the bumper.

A very simple task that can be accomplished with basic tools, but a drill press and chop saw make the job a whole lot faster. Thank god for my good neighbor the farmer and all of his repair shop tools.

2013 Grey Wolf 19RR
2003 Silverado 2500HD
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Old 05-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookside View Post
Nice work - I wrote a thread about installIng tie down points in this exact manner here a month or so ago - not sure if it helped you? Did you go with the backing plates for the mounts?
I didn't see your post... would have saved me some cyphering! LOL!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookside View Post
Nice work - I wrote a thread about install
I did see this post, but thought the 21RR and the 17RR would be too different. I think you gave me the place to buy the heavier tie-down... thanks! Clint
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #273
Living on Camping Time

Ok ladies and gents has anyone added an outside grill to their 19rr. I am thinking about the RVQ II grill that I have seen on the web RVQ II Grill Portable RV Grill $199 with FREE SHIPPING except HI, AK & Canada but am unsure about the weight hanging on the outside wall and getting the gas line connected. My dealer had reservation about installing it, saying it could void our warranty. Any thoughts from the crowd?

2013 Grey Wolf 19RR
2003 Silverado 2500HD
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Old 05-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #274

Not sure that I would want to "lock" myself in to grilling right on the side of my camper. For about the same price, I bought a Weber Q220. The housing is completely cast aluminum (no rust), the cooking grill is cast iron, and the burner is stainless steel. I feel the thing will outlast most grills in this price range and Weber makes a quality product. Also since we are empty nesters now, I went with the larger Q220 (versus 200 or 120, etc) because it is also our main grill at home now. I found the optional cart/stand at Camping World for $35 (normally $50) and I also bought the adapter hose, so at home I keep it on a 20lb LP tank and just use the small, disposable LP tanks when camping. This gives me the option to leave the cart in the camper and just set the Q220 on a picnic table at the campsite, or put it on the cart and roll it to where I want to cook. I have had times where it is windy while camping and I will roll my grill down wind of the camper and use the camper as a wind block. Personally, I would not want to have to have my grill in a fixed location right next to the camper. Especially under the awning, where I tend to keep a lot of other things out of the weather, including sometimes my motorcycle.

That's my 2 cents... the one benefit would be you would be cooking with the main LP tanks on the camper, so you wouldn't have to deal with the smal, disposablel LP tanks.

Tom

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7l
2006 Road Star Warrior
heytomgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #275
itch'n to road trip

I am with Tom... not crazy about having a grill right next to my camper. yeah yeah...I know they SAY they ARE safe.. but I am NOT willing to take a chance! We got a Volcano grill... on the suggestion of folks on this forum. LOVE IT!! HAs so many options for fuel and cooking methods and works sooo well!

Volcano Grills The Best Outdoor Portable Cooker

2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Jasper Ga.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #276

CQ - very interesting grill that Volcano. Watched the video on how you can bake a cake on it with the dutch oven. Pretty neat.

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2006 Road Star Warrior
Old 05-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #277
Living on Camping Time

Thanks Tom and CQ for the info. I will check those grills out for a possible alternative to the wall mount model. We had a wall mount model on our previous trailer and really liked it for cooking breakfast. Most of our true grill cooking has typically been done over the open fire.

2013 Grey Wolf 19RR
2003 Silverado 2500HD
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Old 06-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #278

Rear ramp door extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I forgot to mention... my bike won't load using the ramp like it came... so I am having a 4' extension made out of aluminumrod-grate... still have to come up with a good way to support the end of the ramp 12" above the ground. I have see some flip down jacks similiar to the legs on the bench seats, but they do have to be strong enough. I was wondering if anyone has done such as this?
I had this mod done to my trailer. The ramp is attached to the top (when closed) of the door and folds out the back to extend the ramp out so my Goldwing will clear. Bumper Docks were screwed into the outside of the rear door to jack it up. It works pretty slick and the bike clears with about an inch or so to spare. If I get into a bind I can jack up the front of the trailer but I never want to do that unless I really have to. It hasn't happened yet. I can attach a photo if necessary.

Here is a mod that I did to my camper that I did that I do have a photo of. It's very extensive and you may want to hire me out to make it yourself as it can be tricky.

That's right. I attached, with velcro, the remote control to the low ceiling above the master bed. That way I never lose it and I can even turn the channel without taking it down. I'm so handy. I kill me.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
I had this mod done to my trailer. The ramp is attached to the top (when closed) of the door and folds out the back to extend the ramp out so my Goldwing will clear. Bumper Docks were screwed into the outside of the rear door to jack it up. It works pretty slick and the bike clears with about an inch or so to spare. If I get into a bind I can jack up the front of the trailer but I never want to do that unless I really have to. It hasn't happened yet. I can attach a photo if necessary.

Here is a mod that I did to my camper that I did that I do have a photo of. It's very extensive and you may want to hire me out to make it yourself as it can be tricky.

That's right. I attached, with velcro, the remote control to the low ceiling above the master bed. That way I never lose it and I can even turn the channel without taking it down. I'm so handy. I kill me.
Man, that had to take the better part of an afternoon to get that done! I like it. I am always misplacing the remote!

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkswyo

Man, that had to take the better part of an afternoon to get that done! I like it. I am always misplacing the remote!
Even the simplest of ideas can be great ideas! I think I am going to do that too! Thanks! (plus your post gave me a good chuckle)

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2006 Road Star Warrior

Tags
19rr grey wolf