Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #281

Hard At Work

Yes rigging up that remote took many man hours of both labor and of course analysis as well as two review boards. The results are fantastic.

I'm at it again. This is my first year with my 19RR so I'm sitting back reading up on this thread on a regular basis and just using my trailer as is. So far I have decided that I hate how the space is wasted above the bed in the front (along with the dumb couch mentioned earlier or elsewhere...can't remember now).

Tonight I wired up a plug holder for my wiring harness. That way when I'm parked it has a place to live too. On the back side, I connected the top two posts together with a fuse which gives me running lights at camp. I've seen others connect these two before so I thought what the heck. It's easy and cheap and has a nice effect at camp at night. I didn't want to drill any holes in the frame, so I drilled one hole under the battery tray.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
Yes rigging up that remote took many man hours of both labor and of course analysis as well as two review boards. The results are fantastic.
I'm not sure how you managed this mod. Do you have any schematics that could show exactly how you did this? Being that it involves electronics, I'm hesitant to take on anything of this nature unless I have a pretty well laid out plan in advance, 5 or 6 hours of spare time and at least a 6 pack of MGD on hand. <ggg>

At any rate, I'm really glad I stumbled across this thread. There are a lot of good ideas here and I've spent the last few days incorporating some of them into my 21RR trailer that I picked up in February. Thus far, I've done the following:

Installed a battery switch to cut power from the battery to the trailer. The detectors and possibly other things (antenna booster? weather radio?) were draining the battery. Not good for a long battery life to completely discharge it and a hassle to have to deal with.

I did the cutting board stove top mod, using the closet bar supports that was posted here. Works great! I think it's secure enough to leave on the stove top when under way. Cutting board is a Paula Deen model from WalMart. No pic 'cause the photo was lousy and the site only allows 4 images at a time (what's with that?)

I installed a shelf in the bedroom. It's a mantel style shelf from Home Depot ($16.95) that uses a 2x2" board that is screwed into the wall and the shelf slides onto it and is secured with two small screws through the top into the mounting board. I used Loctite PowerGrab to help hold the mount to the wall in addition to the screws.

I had a key rack in my old Travel Trailer that was real useful to help me keep from losing my keys. I wanted that here. Home Depot to the rescue again. This was $6.95. I also added an inexpensive battery powered clock on the wall between the cabinet and the door (this may eventually be pitched - it makes an annoying "tic toc" sound. I attached the clock with industrial grade Velcro.

Finally, I ordered a shelf/towel rack from Amazon for the bathroom. It had to be assembled but was a snap to put together.

Tomorrow, I hope to do the fence post/rain gutter sewer hose mod. I also need to work on getting a ramp setup. Based on the posts here, I'm sure I'll need it to load my Victory Vision (with only 6.5" of ground clearance) with the stock ramp. My BMW f650gs has 4" more ground clearance, so I don't think I'll have a problem getting that bike loaded without the need for an additional ramp setup. (I'll know tomorrow, cause I'm going to try it).

Shakedown trip to my favorite National Forest campground on the Tieton River up near Mt. Rainier will be this coming Thursday.

Again, thanks to all on this thread for their great ides.
2015 Victory Gunner
Smithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #283

Quote:

Clint.... too funny Toby! Knowing me... the next day... I would probably be looking for it anyway!

Tonight I wired up a plug holder for my wiring harness. That way when I'm parked it has a place to live too. On the back side, I connected the top two posts together with a fuse which gives me running lights at camp. I've seen others connect these two before so I thought what the heck. It's easy and cheap and has a nice effect at camp at night. I didn't want to drill any holes in the frame, so I drilled one hole under the battery tray.

Clint: I like this Tony... you should keep using your vast electronic knowledge and set up the remote to control the running lights. Let me know how that works out.
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithee View Post

I installed a shelf in the bedroom. It's a mantel style shelf from Home Depot ($16.95) that uses a 2x2" board that is screwed into the wall and the shelf slides onto it and is secured with two small screws through the top into the mounting board. I used Loctite PowerGrab to help hold the mount to the wall in addition to the screws.

I had a key rack in my old Travel Trailer that was real useful to help me keep from losing my keys. I wanted that here. Home Depot to the rescue again. This was $6.95. I also added an inexpensive battery powered clock on the wall between the cabinet and the door (this may eventually be pitched - it makes an annoying "tic toc" sound. I attached the clock with industrial grade Velcro.

Finally, I ordered a shelf/towel rack from Amazon for the bathroom. It had to be assembled but was a snap to put together.

Tomorrow, I hope to do the fence post/rain gutter sewer hose mod. I also need to work on getting a ramp setup. Based on the posts here, I'm sure I'll need it to load my Victory Vision (with only 6.5" of ground clearance) with the stock ramp. My BMW f650gs has 4" more ground clearance, so I don't think I'll have a problem getting that bike loaded without the need for an additional ramp setup. (I'll know tomorrow, cause I'm going to try it).

Shakedown trip to my favorite National Forest campground on the Tieton River up near Mt. Rainier will be this coming Thursday.

Again, thanks to all on this thread for their great ides.
Smithee... nice work. In the bath... I put up 2 towel bars instead of the rack, but like the rack. For key holders, I just stuck up 4 of those hooks that can be removed without damaging the walls... all lined up perfectly ;-)

For the sewer hose storage a trip to HD revealed 5" white fence posts... and (2) end caps. I cut the (8') post to 75", and bolted (4 ea, 5/16" hex bolts, stop nuts, and fender washers) to the frame behind the back tires. I wanted to bolt in front of the fresh water tank, but gas line in the way. I've seen many ways to keep the caps on, but I decided to keep it simple, I drilled 2 (ea) 3/8" holes vertically through each 5" cap (while slipped on) and using 1/4" aluminum round stock bent into a "U" (and depending on gravity) I just drop them through the holes.

I also like your bedroom shelf... I want to add a shelf to each side... and another shelf on end of wardrobe or use that area for a fold-down hangar rod. You can't really hang things up in the wardrobe... even after raising the bar inside the cabinet. I am still debating.

For a ramp extension I found 35" x 12" wide diamond back (not diamond plate) aluminum "planks" at a salvage yard near here... 4 for $30... it is pricey new!
McNichols Quality 12" Plank 1 " Channel Aluminum DIAMONDBACK®
I bolted them together and popriveted 1" x 1" aluminum angle to the edges to strengthen it... and glued 1/4" plywood to the bottom for appearance. I screwed and bolted garden hinges so it folds flat to the top of the ramp. Although the aluminum planks are very light (and strong), it does make the ramp heavier. I am using standard jack stands to hold the ramp 12" off the ground, but will come up with a better and attached method. With the ramp off the ground as I mentioned and the extension down... with the trailer level on level ground... I can load my VN900LT without scrapping. I have to get off the seat, so it is close! With the front of the trailer slightly raised, its even better.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #285

[QUOTE=Toby;204371]I had this mod done to my trailer. The ramp is attached to the top (when closed) of the door and folds out the back to extend the ramp out so my Goldwing will clear. Bumper Docks were screwed into the outside of the rear door to jack it up. It works pretty slick and the bike clears with about an inch or so to spare. If I get into a bind I can jack up the front of the trailer but I never want to do that unless I really have to. It hasn't happened yet. I can attach a photo if necessary.

Toby... I forgot to ask... can you give me information on the bumper docks you mentioned. Thanks, Clint
Old 06-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #286
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
I have also worried about dirt getting into the plug where we camp, but for the most part I just leave the truck and traile plugged together.

I also did a similar parking light mod. I wanted to be able to find my trailer in the dark after riding the quads.

I picked up an extra light switch from camping world, tapped in to power in the existing light switch, and installed this one lower so I can reach in from outside and turn it on and off. I ran the wires out through the bottom, and then along the frame up to the junction box behind the tongue. Then, tapped into the parking light circuit there.

The other side of the switch runs to my flagpole lights and strobes...

Hey, its really dark out in the desert...
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #287

Sanitize Water System?

ok I'm taking the trailer out for its first shakedown trip this coming weekend. The water system has not been used yet, except to fill the tank to test for leaks - good thing I did. There was a slow leak. Dealer did the repair under warranty. It turned out someone had put a staple through a water line when assembling the trailer.

At any rate, what did folks do before use of the fresh water tank? Did you fill and add a bit of bleach to sanitize it (I do that every year when I've gotten my old travel trailer out of storage). Or is it ok just to fill the tank and use it without the bleach treatment?
2015 Victory Gunner
Old 06-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Johnson View Post
I have also worried about dirt getting into the plug where we camp, but for the most part I just leave the truck and traile plugged together.

I also did a similar parking light mod. I wanted to be able to find my trailer in the dark after riding the quads.

I picked up an extra light switch from camping world, tapped in to power in the existing light switch, and installed this one lower so I can reach in from outside and turn it on and off. I ran the wires out through the bottom, and then along the frame up to the junction box behind the tongue. Then, tapped into the parking light circuit there.

The other side of the switch runs to my flagpole lights and strobes...

Hey, its really dark out in the desert...
Rod, I can imagine that in the desert it is important that people know the trailer is there, not to mention you being able to find it. I've never lost a trailer, but I have lost my company truck once! I've thought of putting lights, such as kitchen under counter lights (or DYI equivalent there of!) under the body of the trailer and be able to switch on/off, but after reading a post, I will use the running lights with a switch. I was using 4 solar lights, but they aren't that bright.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #289

Dock Pads

[QUOTE=WolfWhistle;204870]
Quote:
I had this mod done to my trailer. The ramp is attached to the top (when closed) of the door and folds out the back to extend the ramp out so my Goldwing will clear. Bumper Docks were screwed into the outside of the rear door to jack it up. It works pretty slick and the bike clears with about an inch or so to spare. If I get into a bind I can jack up the front of the trailer but I never want to do that unless I really have to. It hasn't happened yet. I can attach a photo if necessary.

Toby... I forgot to ask... can you give me information on the bumper docks you mentioned. Thanks, Clint
I am attaching photos of my ramp modification. I paid the dealer a little extra to make the changes so that it would all be covered by my warranty. I think it is worth it. We designed it together and they made it happen. The dock bumpers are put at the top of the door on the outside.

The little ramp that came with the trailer that covers the hinges was reversed the other way to add a little more clearance. I have to put a block of wood in there when I'm ready to shut the door to hold it up. Now it sits flush with the floor at the top of the ramp. Then I just fold out the bottom ramp and it's enough to get my Goldwing on board. I'm attaching some photos of my ramp. I hope it works. If not I'll take a stab at it again soon.

Has anyone ever thought about cutting a hole in the bathroom wall (forward facing wall)? I'd like to cut a hole up there and put a cabinet door on it for towels and things. Of course that would make good use of the left side of the bunk above the bed which I can't reach anyway. I think that is a total waste of space. I'll never stick a child up there. I wonder if there is anything inside that wall that would prevent me from putting a door there. It would be sorta nice to have a closet in the bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0647.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	14744   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0648.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	14745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0649.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	14746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0650.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	14747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0651.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	14748  

Old 06-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #290

Quote:
At any rate, what did folks do before use of the fresh water tank? Did you fill and add a bit of bleach to sanitize it (I do that every year when I've gotten my old travel trailer out of storage). Or is it ok just to fill the tank and use it without the bleach treatment?

I just went ahead and sanitized the whole system. You never know what could have happened before, even with a brand new trailer... The dealer had a little bit of water in it for the PDI, but you never know how long that sat in there.

Probably not critical either way, I don't drink the water thats in the tank, its just for showers and flushing.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #291

Quote:
Probably not critical either way, I don't drink the water thats in the tank, its just for showers and flushing.
Good point - neither do I. Just use it for flushing, hand washing, etc. But then again, I'll likely be washing and rinsing off some dishes, so probably best to just dump in some bleach and let it sit for an hour, then flush it out.

In the past, I've used 1/4 cup for every 15 gallons of fresh water.
2015 Victory Gunner
Old 06-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #292

Quote:
Good point - neither do I. Just use it for flushing, hand washing, etc. But then again, I'll likely be washing and rinsing off some dishes, so probably best to just dump in some bleach and let it sit for an hour, then flush it out.

In the past, I've used 1/4 cup for every 15 gallons of fresh water.
Most of the bacteria will die once the dishes dry, and my water heater is hot enough that I don't think they'll even survive the rinse.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #293

Bleach

Quote:
ok I'm taking the trailer out for its first shakedown trip this coming weekend. The water system has not been used yet, except to fill the tank to test for leaks - good thing I did. There was a slow leak. Dealer did the repair under warranty. It turned out someone had put a staple through a water line when assembling the trailer.

I ran bleach water through first thing this spring after running the anti-freeze out. That was before I used it for the first time. I figured if I did that each year, I should be good. I also use an external water filter so that any water going into the trailer is filtered.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Rod, I can imagine that in the desert it is important that people know the trailer is there, not to mention you being able to find it. I've never lost a trailer, but I have lost my company truck once! I've thought of putting lights, such as kitchen under counter lights (or DYI equivalent there of!) under the body of the trailer and be able to switch on/off, but after reading a post, I will use the running lights with a switch. I was using 4 solar lights, but they aren't that bright.
Whats the story behind the work truck? Just picked mine up from an oil change... Never lost one yet, at least not for very long.

So, all my lights are LEDs, except the license plate light and the work light up by the generator... If you can't find this in out in the middle of the desert, you've had waaaaay too much to drink.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #295

500 Yarder

Quote:
Whats the story behind the work truck? Just picked mine up from an oil change... Never lost one yet, at least not for very long.

So, all my lights are LEDs, except the license plate light and the work light up by the generator... If you can't find this in out in the middle of the desert, you've had waaaaay too much to drink.

Hey can you upload the 500 yard photo? :P
Old 06-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #296

Completed the bed extension / under bed storage mod this afternoon and this is the end result.
We upgraded to a full size queen mattress with a pillow top and it didn't fit on top of the OEM bed frame. To that end, I added a 10" extension to the frame (see lighter facia at left) and at the same time, added additional support to the existing bed frame. With the spare tire successfully mounted to the back door, I re-purposed an old enterntainment center door (cut in half) for the newly created under bed storage area. I also reinforced the bed frame with 2x2's next to the OEM 1x2 bed frame construction. (who built this thing?)
The end result is a much stronger and larger bed frame with a huge storage area under the bed, complete with a cabinet door to make it all look purdy! A little stain on that new part and we're all good!

Sportster
...all this pimpin is makin me tired
hd87sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #297

I trimmed off some of the new cabiinet door to swing out over the rug (not shown) bit it all seems to work quite well. The plastic trim that was on top of the bed frame I used to trim out the inside of the newly created cabinet door and it looks damn skippy!
Here's a shot of the new cabinet door to give ya'll some perspective:

Will be taking it out in the next couple of weeks to shake it down again. Can't wait.

Sportster
...next up - sewer hose storage tube!
hd87sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #298

The truck: at was a a job site and a rush job (2 man) came up in a neighboring town, so the other tech picked me up and I rode with him (you can probably finish the story now!); anyway, we hit several other stops during what turned out to be a long day. So, we get back to the warehouse... while walking to the back door, I noticed my parking spot was empty. Being tired, I first thought maybe the boss took it to be serviced, or something... finished our paper work and it hit me... I had left it at that first job. The company was closed, but it was locked up inside fenced area. Next morning my boss asked me where my truck was. We acted dumb for a little while (actually it wasn't an act! LOL). So, I got a ride out to get my truck.
I do a little dry camping, every now and then, so I am going to upgrade to LED interior lights. What LEDs do I need?... Or, which ones did you use? Those under-body lights are plum purdy!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #299

I made doors from scratch, but using what you have, if it works, is great. I am now looking for a plastic bin up to 14" x about 20" wide... and lonnnnnng. I think a bin or bins, that slides out will be handy. I will put screw eyes just inside the door and use a bungie or MC strap to keep it from sliding around.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #300

[QUOTE=Toby;205005]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post

I am attaching photos of my ramp modification. I paid the dealer a little extra to make the changes so that it would all be covered by my warranty. I think it is worth it. We designed it together and they made it happen. The dock bumpers are put at the top of the door on the outside.

The little ramp that came with the trailer that covers the hinges was reversed the other way to add a little more clearance. I have to put a block of wood in there when I'm ready to shut the door to hold it up. Now it sits flush with the floor at the top of the ramp. Then I just fold out the bottom ramp and it's enough to get my Goldwing on board. I'm attaching some photos of my ramp. I hope it works. If not I'll take a stab at it again soon.

Has anyone ever thought about cutting a hole in the bathroom wall (forward facing wall)? I'd like to cut a hole up there and put a cabinet door on it for towels and things. Of course that would make good use of the left side of the bunk above the bed which I can't reach anyway. I think that is a total waste of space. I'll never stick a child up there. I wonder if there is anything inside that wall that would prevent me from putting a door there. It would be sorta nice to have a closet in the bathroom.
Toby, this is my ramp. I still want a better support for the ramp when loading, plus I need some taller jack stands when camping to use it for a deck. I thought of putting my grill out on the ramp extension. Also is a picture of the bedroom with bunk removed. The wood support is what I use to steady up the side steps so not to shake the trailer as much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1482 (Copy).jpg
Views:	158
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	14787   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1483 (Copy).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	14788   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1491 (Copy).jpg
Views:	140