Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #341

Camperdemint - I have had no issues with my spare tire mounted to the rear gate as I described. It has been several months, several trips and several hundred miles of towing. I do admit (and I think I mentioned it) that the door construction is mainly a block of styrofoam in the center and then fiberglass on the outside and I would expect that black vinyl coated ramp is thin plywood. It has to be fairly strong to support the 600-800 lb or more bikes people are rolling up it, let alone a few that prop it up and make a patio deck with it (not saying any of the members sitting on the ramp as a patio deck are 600-800 lbs!).

I think a did see a few that also did this make a metal plate bracket with two holes in it and put the carriage bolts though that. If you have access to some steel/aluminum plate, I think that would be better and spread the weight of these carriage bolts out some. I did "carefully" tighten mine and stopped after a little compression.

Since I have had no problems with mine (of course I have not taken it off or on since mounting it), I have not gone back and put a reinforcing plate between my carriage bolts and ramp door surface. I guess that is on my "when I get around to it" list.

Tom

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7l
2006 Road Star Warrior
heytomgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by recon33alpha View Post
You all rock, glad I found this thread, I'll be doing some of these pimps for sure. I have a 25rr but it has alot of the same designs. I would like to see more of the framing done for the door under the bed, and I think the shock idea on the bed, I must of missed those pics, easy to do, this thread is huge!! Happy Camping
Thanks for the feedback Recon. Little did I know when I started this thread that it would become so popular. I just checked and it shows that "Pimp my 19RR" has had 28,352 views so far and to think that I had to start it under the "Wolf Pack" section of the Cherokee line of trailers because this forum did not consider the Grey Wolf line to be a Toy Hauler line of trailers.

This thread has only worked because of everyone's great ideas and taking the time to photograph and post them to keep those ideas flowing.

Tom

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2006 Road Star Warrior
Old 07-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #343

yea I was wondering why there wasn't a grey wolf thread, but hey, adapt and overcome, right!!

BTW, there is a thread on TV mount and dead space started, it is a nice Mod, check it out
2013 campouts:1
recon33alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #344

overhead bed converted to foldup storage

Hello Everyone!
I've been reading all the mods in this forum and they're great! I've done quite a few myself. This is my first thread.
We took a 5000 mile 2 1/2 week trip out west & loved our 2012 19rr!!! Never had a problem except for a flat tire.
I see the new 2013 models have just an overhead storage instead of a bunkbed. The camper we used to have, you could fold the overhead bunkbed up to just have storage or down for a bed. Plus it gets real HOT where the queen bed is from poor circulation! My question is, Has anybody converted their overhead bunkbed so it would fold up for storage? Thanks
arlenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlenart View Post
Hello Everyone!
I've been reading all the mods in this forum and they're great! I've done quite a few myself. This is my first thread.
We took a 5000 mile 2 1/2 week trip out west & loved our 2012 19rr!!! Never had a problem except for a flat tire.
I see the new 2013 models have just an overhead storage instead of a bunkbed. The camper we used to have, you could fold the overhead bunkbed up to just have storage or down for a bed. Plus it gets real HOT where the queen bed is from poor circulation! My question is, Has anybody converted their overhead bunkbed so it would fold up for storage? Thanks
-----------------------------------
Haven't converted it to fold up but use it exclusively for storage w/ Walmart stacking bins. But we don't stack em.
As far as the poor circulation goes, we position an oscillating fan on a hassock out by the pantry cabinet blowing back toward the bedroom. We also plug in a clip on fan on the bunk rail above the bed area and point it toward the bed itself. By pointing about 90% of the air blown from the a/c unit toward the nose of the trailer, this solves the poor circulation issue.

To keep cool in and heat out, we bought a couple of those 16x16, puffy cotton vent inserts to block out the heat from the sun. Then, we put some reflective panels ($10 at the RV store) over the shower skylight. We then hung, with expanding curtain rods, black-out curtains over the front (bedroom) windows. Blocks out quite a bit of light and insulates alot better than the metal mini-blinds do. With the fans and all the roof vents blocked, it blocks quite a bit of heat from coming in to the trailer. It actually gets a little chilly at night!

Sportster
...still a work in progress
hd87sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #346

Here we are in Branson. It's super hot here. We also have the useless bunk but we are able to aim the AC back to the back and it circulates just fine. I'm very seriously thinking of putting a cabinet door in the bathroom that would open up into the back part oc that bunk because IMHO that is wasted space that could make a. Dry nice towel storage area etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2905487913.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	17042   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3564103559.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	17043  
Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #347

One mod that is on my list is to put a roof vent in the living area. I seriously can't believe they did not put one there. I am going to do some investigating in the ceiling and see what I can come up with. As long as I can locate the rafters, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #348

Well, I'm definitely going to convert our bunk to a fold-up storage. It's just too cramped & stuffy in the bedroom area. I bought a piano hinge, door hinges, & latches. But I'm not sure where to cut the bunk down the center at? Also would like to put 3 doors across the front, but don't know where to find them. If anyone has any ideas, it would sure be appreciated!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #349

Quote:
Well, I'm definitely going to convert our bunk to a fold-up storage. It's just too cramped & stuffy in the bedroom area. I bought a piano hinge, door hinges, & latches. But I'm not sure where to cut the bunk down the center at? Also would like to put 3 doors across the front, but don't know where to find them. If anyone has any ideas, it would sure be appreciated!
You can get doors directly from Forest River that will match your existing doors as well as the hardware for them. Go back and look through this thread and the phone number is in a previous post of mine. The gal's name I talked to at Forest River Grey Wolf parts was Jamie Tezlof.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
Old 07-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
Here we are in Branson. It's super hot here. We also have the useless bunk but we are able to aim the AC back to the back and it circulates just fine. I'm very seriously thinking of putting a cabinet door in the bathroom that would open up into the back part oc that bunk because IMHO that is wasted space that could make a. Dry nice towel storage area etc.
Toby, We are leaving for Branson August 15th... maybe by then it will be even hotter ;-). What can you tell me about Branson, since we have never been there. I see a Branson Shenangans (sp?) and American's Best campgrounds close to downtown. We have a 21RR and I did quite a few mods, most of which is detailed on this site. What I did with the so called bunk bed... I just removed it. Way to stuffy for me. Lots more air getting up there now. I have a 12vdc/110vac fan to help, as well. When traveling I do add a temporary brace to be sure the front doesn't collapse... I don't know if that would happen, but reasoned the bunk gave the front a lot of stiffness. Let me know about Branson, I really appreciate it.
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #351

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd87sportster View Post
-----------------------------------
Haven't converted it to fold up but use it exclusively for storage w/ Walmart stacking bins. But we don't stack em.
As far as the poor circulation goes, we position an oscillating fan on a hassock out by the pantry cabinet blowing back toward the bedroom. We also plug in a clip on fan on the bunk rail above the bed area and point it toward the bed itself. By pointing about 90% of the air blown from the a/c unit toward the nose of the trailer, this solves the poor circulation issue.

To keep cool in and heat out, we bought a couple of those 16x16, puffy cotton vent inserts to block out the heat from the sun. Then, we put some reflective panels ($10 at the RV store) over the shower skylight. We then hung, with expanding curtain rods, black-out curtains over the front (bedroom) windows. Blocks out quite a bit of light and insulates alot better than the metal mini-blinds do. With the fans and all the roof vents blocked, it blocks quite a bit of heat from coming in to the trailer. It actually gets a little chilly at night!

Sportster
...still a work in progress
I got one of those furry vent stuffer thingy, too. I had a couple of extra auto windshield protectors... shiny aluminum plastic with a little insulation. I cut the down and slip between the window and blind on both bedroom windows. It is so dark now, I over-sleep (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!). It does keep it cooler too.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #352

Question Couch Question on 19RR

Hi All,
I was just wondering if anyone ever had any problems with the single strap adequately holding the couch up against the wall. I plan to use my toy hauler garage to haul giant scale aerobatic model airplanes. The wings come off but the fuselages are about 10 ft long and will be fastened to the floor in the trailer. They are expensive toys but are very light in weight and relatively fragile as they are made from balsa and plywood. The couch coming loose and falling on top of a fuselage would be disasterous and costly. Any need to better secure the couch to the wall? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mike R.
roxberrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #353

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxberrym View Post
Hi All,
I was just wondering if anyone ever had any problems with the single strap adequately holding the couch up against the wall. I plan to use my toy hauler garage to haul giant scale aerobatic model airplanes. The wings come off but the fuselages are about 10 ft long and will be fastened to the floor in the trailer. They are expensive toys but are very light in weight and relatively fragile as they are made from balsa and plywood. The couch coming loose and falling on top of a fuselage would be disasterous and costly. Any need to better secure the couch to the wall? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mike R.
Mine has a strap on each end and it seems very secure.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
Old 07-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxberrym View Post
Hi All,

Mike R.
Mike;
I have pulled the eyelet attached to the cabinets out slightly. It is not from the couch itself, but me strapping the bicycles to that strap. I fold the couch up using the straps on either end. Then I put our two bicycles up against this couch and when I was tightening some ty-down straps through these couch straps and around the bikes, I bowed the whole molding strip between the wall of the camper and the side of the cabinet where the eyelet attaches to just molding. The back eyelet near the rear door for the couch strap seems screwed into something much more substantial. I probably just need to get a hammer and tap the molding along the cabinet back in place and relocate that front eyelet for the couch strap.

Tom

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2006 Road Star Warrior
Old 07-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #355

Quote:
Hello Everyone!
Well, if you modify your bunk, please post pictures and share. I had plans to do the same when I saw that our early 2012 had a solid bunk and the 2011's had the fold up one. I told my wife I was going to cut it in half and make cabinets until my darn Mom came to see the 19RR shortly after we bought it and said "Oh, a bunk bed!... that will be great when you have grandchildren!". Well that shot that idea... now Lucille wants to keep it and we don't even have any Grandkids yet!

As far as the heat, did you notice in the 2013 19RRs they moved the A/C up to the center of the camper (where my crank up vent is) and where it should be. That was my biggest disappointment when seeing the new 2013. I don't know why FR mounted the A/C so far to the back of the camper in the 2012!!!. We have one of those tower, ocillating fans that we set in the corner near the front cabinets and then I crank down the A/C (hey, I am not paying the power bill at the campgrounds!) and typically we are freezing by morning!

I do want to see pictures if you modify the bunk into cabinets. Maybe I can talk Lucille into it if I show her pictures!

Tom

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2006 Road Star Warrior
Old 07-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by heytomgraywolf View Post
Well, if you modify your bunk, please post pictures and share. I had plans to do the same when I saw that our early 2012 had a solid bunk and the 2011's had the fold up one. I told my wife I was going to cut it in half and make cabinets until my darn Mom came to see the 19RR shortly after we bought it and said "Oh, a bunk bed!... that will be great when you have grandchildren!". Well that shot that idea... now Lucille wants to keep it and we don't even have any Grandkids yet!

As far as the heat, did you notice in the 2013 19RRs they moved the A/C up to the center of the camper (where my crank up vent is) and where it should be. That was my biggest disappointment when seeing the new 2013. I don't know why FR mounted the A/C so far to the back of the camper in the 2012!!!. We have one of those tower, ocillating fans that we set in the corner near the front cabinets and then I crank down the A/C (hey, I am not paying the power bill at the campgrounds!) and typically we are freezing by morning!

I do want to see pictures if you modify the bunk into cabinets. Maybe I can talk Lucille into it if I show her pictures!

Tom
Hey Tom, I've been reading 'you' for quite a while it seems. I have not seen the 2013, but you are right, I thought about it one day last month while volunteering in Georgia... I thought about blocking the rear facing vent so the other would have more flow... then thought, vents on both end, it should be half way towards the front. I didn't think about the AC located in wrong place until then. I built a shelf next to the so called wardrobe and sat a small 12/110 volt fan on it... to augment air flow. Like you I might be freezing. I didn't make storage where the bunk used to be... I ripped it out, gracefully as it were... or I hope! I have pictures, which I think I posted. But, here they are. I also wonder about the shower wall being vinyl on gypsum only. I would like to go to a thin white plastic... not melamine to make it 'hold up', hopefully. Oh, also I bought a Simmons Beauty Rest full queen since pictures were taken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherry paneling trim again (Copy).jpg
Views:	179
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	17134   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1485 (Copy).jpg
Views:	193
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	17135   Click image for larger version

Name:	under bed storage with new door (Copy).jpg
Views:	206
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	17136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherry paneling trim the bunk bed holes (Copy).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	17137   Click image for larger version

Name:	bed hatch showing heater panel as well (Copy).jpg
Views:	170
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	17138  

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
Old 07-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #357

Quote:
Mike;
I have pulled the eyelet attached to the cabinets out slightly. It is not from the couch itself, but me strapping the bicycles to that strap. I fold the couch up using the straps on either end. Then I put our two bicycles up against this couch and when I was tightening some ty-down straps through these couch straps and around the bikes, I bowed the whole molding strip between the wall of the camper and the side of the cabinet where the eyelet attaches to just molding. The back eyelet near the rear door for the couch strap seems screwed into something much more substantial. I probably just need to get a hammer and tap the molding along the cabinet back in place and relocate that front eyelet for the couch strap.

Tom
Tom,
My 19RR is a 2013 and came with only on strap on the couch at the back. Not knowing any different, I assumed all came with only one strap. I'm not sure if there should be two on mine nad the front is just missing. I'll contact FR to find out and either way I'll get another strap for the front. I should be sufficient to keep it secure. Thanks.
Mike R.
roxberrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #358

WolfWhistle - thanks for the pictures.... that sure looks roomy! I will show those to Lucille.

Mike - I would suggest mounting the eyelet for the clip to the wall of the trailer when you add a front strap, not the molding between the cabinet and the wall as they did in mine.

Tom

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2006 Road Star Warrior
Old 07-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #359

Quote:

Tom
Tom, I will post some pics, cause I'm definitely going to do this. But I'm kinda afraid to just start cutting because the measurement will have to be accurate so you can fold it down for a bunk-bed, or up to cabinets! Our old trailer had this. I wish I would have paid closer attention when we got rid of it!
Old 07-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #360

Arlenart;

Here is how I would go about it, but there are a lot of others on this thread that are much better carpenters than me (I have seen their work!). Measure from the top of the wood surface of the bunk to the ceiling (I realize that is sort of a moving target with the radius of the front of the camper. What you are looking for is the amount to cut off from the bunk (from the edge back) to be equal to the height between the top surface of the bunk to the ceiling. It might take measuring a few spots till you find that spot, but that is where your cut line should be. That way, if you put 3 hinges or so across the cut you make, when you fold it up to make the cabinet wall, if the "wall" is slightly higher due to the hinge, you can always trim a little back from your cut and leave the "finished" edge of the bunk in tact where it will meet the ceiling.

Once you have that , you could cut some holes out for the cabinet doors and buy the doors from Forrest River. (if you and the wife sleep below on the queen, you can have fun with the person on the bunk buy opening the cabinet doors and kicking their mattress from below. Also might want to get some firm door clasps for those cabinet doors or someone sleeping above might push the mattress down enough to cause the doors to swing open and bonk the folks on the queen below!)

I wasn't thinking about making the cabinets "convertable" like the 2010 and 2011 units. I was thinking of just making them permanent cabinets, but maybe Lucille will go for a convertible version so we would still have the option of a bunk when and if there are grandkids. I guess we would just store that cheap mattress for the bunk and only fold it down and bring the mattress when we know it would be used.

OK... who wants to cut first?!? I went first on reinforcing the kitchen drawers only to watch others after me with more skill do it a much better way!

Tom

HeyTomGrayWolf

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2006 Road Star Warrior

Tags
19rr grey wolf