Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Wolf Taco View Post
My truck is rated to tow 6500# with 650# tw. I live in MO. I believe the 19RR is 4200# Dry.
Tongue weight of 574lbs & with the Harley the trailer will be just over 5000lbs, keep your gear/water to less than 1000lbs, install a transmission cooler and you should be good to go. Might want to add Firestone airbags to the rear end & take a look at the current tires. You'll be close to the limits (closer than what I'd like to be) but if you are not travelling in terribly hilly country you should be ok
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf View Post
Tongue weight of 574lbs & with the Harley the trailer will be just over 5000lbs, keep your gear/water to less than 1000lbs, install a transmission cooler and you should be good to go. Might want to add Firestone airbags to the rear end & take a look at the current tires. You'll be close to the limits (closer than what I'd like to be) but if you are not travelling in terribly hilly country you should be ok
Thanks, I think I'm going to drop to a lighter trailer. I really don't want my towing experience to be miserable where I constantly feel like I want a new tow vehicle. I'd rather sacrifice some amenities to have more fun and increase safety.
Grey Wolf Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #423
phat phrog stunt crew

not sure which part of mo you are from, but it gets hilly quickly around me when i cross the mississippi from illinois.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:59 AM   #424
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks, I think I'm going to drop to a lighter trailer. I really don't want my towing experience to be miserable where I constantly feel like I want a new tow vehicle. I'd rather sacrifice some amenities to have more fun and increase safety.
It doesn't hurt to consider a lighter trailer. There are pretty nice lite weight trailer out there so you might pleasantly surprise even with compromising.

Good luck.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #425

For me I thought the numbers were in check for my tundra so I pulled the trigger. I even got the dealer to let take it for a test ride dry. It pulled it fine.

I bought my 19rr in October so my first experience towing was me pulling it home, loading the goldwing into it and it making sure that fit well then towing it empty again out to storage 30 minutes away.

On that trip I realized that pulling it up any hill put a lot of strain on the truck, the trailer pushed the truck around when driving, when even an SUV would pass me I could feel it, braking was scary, and even the slightest wind would make my day horrid. I couldn't see around it either. I had to buy extension mirrors and they were horrible and noisy.

That was here in town, I couldn't imagine going into the ozarks six hours from home like that. I would also have to calculate the weight of every little thing I packed in the truck or trailer. Inquiring with her over her weight is not something I wanted to go to.

I knew one or two years towing with my tundra would do it in. The rotors were warped after towing that trailer too.

I tried it and it didn't take much to convince me I was needing to either upgrade or sell my trailer. I got a new f150 eb and now I pull that thing very comfortably. Trips are much easier and I can fill up the tanks, add the wing and even some firewood and still pull that thing through the ozarks at highway speeds. I loved that tundra but its a safety issue. Easy call.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
For me I thought the numbers were in check for my tundra so I pulled the trigger. I even got the dealer to let take it for a test ride dry. It pulled it fine.

I bought my 19rr in October so my first experience towing was me pulling it home, loading the goldwing into it and it making sure that fit well then towing it empty again out to storage 30 minutes away.

On that trip I realized that pulling it up any hill put a lot of strain on the truck, the trailer pushed the truck around when driving, when even an SUV would pass me I could feel it, braking was scary, and even the slightest wind would make my day horrid. I couldn't see around it either. I had to buy extension mirrors and they were horrible and noisy.

That was here in town, I couldn't imagine going into the ozarks six hours from home like that. I would also have to calculate the weight of every little thing I packed in the truck or trailer. Inquiring with her over her weight is not something I wanted to go to.

I knew one or two years towing with my tundra would do it in. The rotors were warped after towing that trailer too.

I tried it and it didn't take much to convince me I was needing to either upgrade or sell my trailer. I got a new f150 eb and now I pull that thing very comfortably. Trips are much easier and I can fill up the tanks, add the wing and even some firewood and still pull that thing through the ozarks at highway speeds. I loved that tundra but its a safety issue. Easy call.
That's odd.What year was your tundra?I have a 2012 crewmax 5.7 liter v8 with the towing package and I've experienced none of that.
Grey9712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #427

Mine was a 2000 4.7 v8 which is one of the older ones. It's closer to the newer tacomas which is what I believe he is using now. He said v6 4.0 if I remember correctly. I'm on my iPhone as I'm away from home now. The new tundras would pull that 19rr similar to how my f150 eb does now I'm sure.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #428

I picked up my 19rr two weeks ago in Clinton, NC and pull it with my 2012 Nissan Frontier. I had about a 5 hour trip back to the Jacksonville, NC coast. I had already installed trailer brakes and the dealer installed the 4 point weight distribution/sway control system. Out of the gate in Clinton it is a little hilly and the truck kicked down a few gears but once I got to the flat lands of Raleigh it was clear sailing. I set the cruise to about 60 mph and switched the overdrive back on. I mile 'o' meter registered about 9.5 MPG.

Last weekend my neighbors and us traveled down to Myrtle Beach for a colder than normal weekend. They own a 30 ft Class A so I more less hung to their bumper and drafted the 120 miles. The cargo area was empty but it was full of clothes, food, dishes and anything else my wife thought she may need. With my drafting I was able to get 12 MPG.

The engine in the frontier is a 4.0 V6 with and 6200 lb tow rating and a 650lb tw (when using weight distribution). Since we live on the coast, I believe most of our camping expeditions will be within 4 or 5 hours of here so I will most likely stay out of the mountains. Eventually we will probably get a golf cart so my son can cruise the campgrounds.

Last year I did tow my mother's 2004 Forest River 27ft bunk house from Tabor City to my driveway (approx 120 miles). She had some major water damage to the rear to I tore out the entire back wall, replaced the last three foot or roof to include the trusses and the floor under the bunk. Needless to say I will never do that again. Camping World quoted her $7,000. I got it done for about $450 in materials and many many many hours of labor.
Semper19RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #429
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
I've got a different truck and trailer, but similar weights and ratings.

Yeah it'll do it, but it'll be stressfull, sketchy, and your truck won't last as long. With the right truck, you won't even know the trailer is back there. With your current setup, you'll have the tail wagging the dog.

Transmission cooler, also, get your shop to put a shift kit into the trans, that'll make it last a lot longer, too.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #430

STARGAZER,
I was wondering if you had any long term issues with mounting the hitch to the rear bumper. I have been reading some blogs that say the aluminum bumper may not be strong enough to hold the weight and some people reported losing their hitch along the road along with the bikes. Also, do you carry anything other than bicycles like maybe one of those flat mesh gorilla racks?
Semper19RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #431

I'm not sure about everyone else but the bumper on mine is steel.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #432

Semper 19RR, realizing that the rear bumper was inadequate, I reenforced it with a 2X6 behind the bumper, sitting on the 'shelf'. I also attached two D rings in the rear, half way up the corners, and by using tie down strap, I take most of the weight off the bumper. I only use a bike carrier and it has worked fine, so far, on three trip.

Happy camping!!
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #433
Living on Camping Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper19RR View Post
STARGAZER,
I was wondering if you had any long term issues with mounting the hitch to the rear bumper. I have been reading some blogs that say the aluminum bumper may not be strong enough to hold the weight and some people reported losing their hitch along the road along with the bikes. Also, do you carry anything other than bicycles like maybe one of those flat mesh gorilla racks?
Semper19RR,

My rear bumper is channel steel that I found to be very strong. I mounted a spare tire carrier to mine and have no fear of it failing.

2013 Grey Wolf 19RR
2003 Silverado 2500HD
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
rodcop9405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #434
Live 2 Ride Ride 2 Live

Hey just registered today. Picked up a used 2012 19RR Grey Wolf last week. Spent $11000.00 Thought that was fair price. I hope to learn a lot from this forum. My maine concern is getting my HD Ultra Classic up the ramp. It appears to be very steep. I have not tried it yet as my bike is still under blankets and storage. If this dang Indiana weather starts to warm soon I will get the chance. Any way Hello Everybody!!
RKelly056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #435
Drinkin beer on the beach

Thats a great price. Sucks to think thats what my trailer is worth right now.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #436

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKelly056 View Post
Hey just registered today. Picked up a used 2012 19RR Grey Wolf last week. Spent $11000.00 Thought that was fair price. I hope to learn a lot from this forum. My maine concern is getting my HD Ultra Classic up the ramp. It appears to be very steep. I have not tried it yet as my bike is still under blankets and storage. If this dang Indiana weather starts to warm soon I will get the chance. Any way Hello Everybody!!
Congratulations, nice buy and welcome to the forum. I hope you find it as helpful as I have. I have a 2012 21RR (also bought used) and am here to help you anyway I know how. As far as the ramp, just use the search function several good ideas here. I made a 4' x 3' ramp out of scrap aluminum (called diamond tread (not plate)) and hinged from the back edge of the ramp with heavy duty strap hinges. I have 11" blocks that set the back edge of the ramp on, which lessens the angle at the top of the ramp (ramp to floor), when the ramp extension is folded to the ground. There are other ways to get it done. It is possible, to jack the tongue all way up, which lessens the angle. I just don't like raising and lowering it to load or unload the bike. Clint

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #437
Live 2 Ride Ride 2 Live

Thanks I will look into that. can't wait to get this thing tuned my way. Got a lot of great Ideas from this forum.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #438

I jack the tongue all way up sometimes or I will put a small 2x6 under the door to bring it up a little. I have a 2012 21rr
PeteG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #439
Live 2 Ride Ride 2 Live

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
I jack the tongue all way up sometimes or I will put a small 2x6 under the door to bring it up a little. I have a 2012 21rr
What type of motorcycle are you loading.
?

Rick Kelly
Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #440

Honda VTX 1300 also try to stand up as I get to the top because sometimes I hit the bottom.
PeteG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
19rr grey wolf