Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
WOW! You shoudl have ordered a trailer with nothing in it! So jealous.... wish wqe were as handy as you. *sigh*
Thanks I'm lucky enough to have some decent tools and a partner who is willing to help, although to be honest she wasn't that interested in removing the one sofa From reading the threads here, we knew the trailer was built to a "price point" and knew we could spend a few dollars and make it into our version of "perfect"

One mod not pictured above, is the curved radius's to the flip up lid on the storage compartment, as the squared edge caught the mattress when lifting
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #22

Here is the template as promised & please excuse my crude printing skills

This template is copied from one of the end panels I created for a closet/shelving unit at the foot of our bed in our 25rr.

Some notes
1) I started with a 4X8 1/2 plywood sheet
2) trimmed to 60 1/2"s first then trimmed to 32"s wide
3) the template is approximately 3"s too wide (to allow for fine tuning of the curve
4) do NOT assume both panels are identical
5) measure at least twice & cut once
6) a small combination belt/disc sander helps when shaping the curve for a tight fit with the curve of the wall
7) once the panels are shaped to suit your preferences, measure and trim the panel that sits flush to the wall beside the valance & cut this panel first
8) use the off cut as the measurement to trim the second panel and thus keep the cabinet square
9) the panel closest to the end wall only needs to be sanded on one side and that's why I say to cut the final size of that one first. You can mark on the back side and not worry about having to sand it off
10) I only sanded using 100 grit paper on my palm sander (you may want to go with a finer grit)
11)The valance & blind will need to be removed to install the completed cabinet

The template spacing between lines is 2 1/4"s & the bottom line is 24"s long while the top line will end up @ 15 1/2 long. Once I get back from my work again, I'll measure the total width & then cut & install our shelves (4 or 5)

Hope this is helpful to someone

Here is what the panels look like before being stained

Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #23

Thumbs up

Very impressive. How far from the bed are you planning on placing the wall? And how are you planning on attaching the walls?
rgdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgdds View Post
Very impressive. How far from the bed are you planning on placing the wall? And how are you planning on attaching the walls?
Thanks The cabinet will be a tight fit between the wall & the end of the bed. On the bed side it will be attached to the new framing I added when I extended the bed. At the top I might use a cpl screw to hold it to the upper cabinet & I'll use my stud finder to find a stud along the outside wall and toss a cpl screws into that. Shouldn't take many screws to hold it in place (I hope) All the shelves will be cut to fit as they will all be different depths.

I hope the template & instructions are helpful to you & others
Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #25

Did you extend the bed so that a full size queen would fit? I am 6'4" and am concerned about sleeping on a short queen
Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Did you extend the bed so that a full size queen would fit? I am 6'4" and am concerned about sleeping on a short queen
No we extended it just enough that the mattress wouldn't overhang the bottom edge. I think I added 3"s to the length of the frame & since The_Filly & myself are both 5'7" or under the extra length wasn't needed. This also leaves enough room for us to add our cabinet. The frame at the end of the bed didn't extend all the way to the wall with a space of aprox 8"s which we "fixed" Also we made the hinged panel aprox 6"s narrower so it can now be opened fully without hitting the end wall

We just determined that there will be 4 shelves, & under the bottom shelf it's tall enough for me to store my motorcycle boots out of the way, as well as other footwear we may take along on our trips

Now that we know where the shelves will be placed I can cut them tomorrow from the material we cut from the top of the 4X8 sheet of plywood. I'll sand them when I return from my next work trip if the temps are warm enough
Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #27

Do you have a wardrobe closet for hanging clothes? Assume the closet could be used for that instead of shelves
Old 01-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #28

Quote:
Do you have a wardrobe closet for hanging clothes? Assume the closet could be used for that instead of shelves
No wardrobe for hanging clothes yet We discussed making this a wardrobe, but decided on 4 shelves (2 for her, 2 for me and the bottom for boots) We typically don't take too many clothes and can always do the folding things.

We are also building a storage bench and at least 2 tall cabinets where the original sofa was mounted. One of those tall cabinets (or both) can be made into a closet if we decide we need that feature. 2 coat hangers will be installed on the end of the upper cabinet for our riding jackets & pants.

Our thought process currently includes building another low storage bench under the window with a taller cabinet at the end by the door.

Before starting on the curved cabinet, we were considering tall cabinets/closets on both sides of the door
Old 02-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #29

Sorry no pics of any work, but progress has been made The_Filly has been busy making a roll up wall with windows for the tailgate. One half is finished & she's working on the other, then she'll add the tarp zipper that we purchased & velcro along the outside edges.

Shelves have been cut for our shelf unit at the end of the bed, but I'm at a standstill there, as it's too cold outside, to get them sanded & ready for stain

Today I worked on moving the heating duct that blows heat into the side of the sofa. I pulled some of the extra ducting out & routed it so that it exits along the cabinet to the front of the sofa. Bracing is already attached to the floor & all the pieces cut. Again I have to wait for warmer weather so they can be sanded & then stained & clear coated. If anyone would like measurements & templates to perform the same mod, I can get them for you.

This past Saturday we also picked up a Dometic LW3000 Plus Digital Inverter Generator for when we dry camp. I did a comparison review with a 1000 watt Hyundai & posted it to
You Tube You can also find it in the Boondocking section on this forum
Old 02-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #30

Night Wolf- thanks for the comparison video. That was informative. The LW3000 will have to be considered with the Honda and Yamaha.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:32 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierGus View Post
Night Wolf- thanks for the comparison video. That was informative. The LW3000 will have to be considered with the Honda and Yamaha.
Price was great @ $800.00 plus taxes; it's rated at 59db & while it's much quieter than the Hyundai it was compared to, I'm going to make a cover for it that will hopefully lower the db some more. Got the idea from the Champion website as they sell a cover. Have to source some fire retardant material but once completed, I'll perform another test with & without the cover. @1/3rd the cost of the Honda, it's a bargain but I think the Honda & the Yamaha are a bit quieter
Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #32

Time for some updates; Been awhile since we have had time & temps conducive to working on our 25RR but camping season is almost here. As you have read we ripped out the sofa on the passenger side wall and have planned on building cabinets for storage. Work has finally started, so here are some pics.

We started by building 2 storage benches, one of which sits where the sofa originally sat. It's 19.5"s deep X 20"s high X 37"s long. A lid will be added as will a cushion made from the original mattress. The_Filly will make removable cushion covers so they can be washed as needed

It's the perfect size to hold our BBQ & spare tank of propane

Old 04-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #33

The second bench is longer and will sit under the window. It's also 19.5"s deep X 18 7/8"s tall by 60"s long. It too will receive a hinged top with a cushion fashioned from the original mattress. The benched will be attached to studs in the wall using the strips attached to the back side. The benches & upright cabinets will also be screwed to each other for extra strength

Beneath this bench we'll store our newly purchased 3 burner stove (hated trying to cook on the small 2 burner Coleman stove)

Old 04-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #34

Next up is a tall storage unit that will sit at the rear of the trailer. Our folding chairs & a roll up aluminum table will sit in the lower part & a shelf will be added to hold our portable ice maker

Here is a picture of the tall unit and the small bench next to each other

Another "tall" cabinet will be placed next to the left side of the small bench. The large bench pictured above will be placed to the left of the next tall cabinet. Finally we are placing another "tall" cabinet to the left of the large bench (butting up against the door frame) & that will be used as a "closet" for jackets.

We'll be building the last two pieces tonight and I'll upload some more pics. If the temps warm up, maybe I'll have a chance to sand these units today so we can get them stained
Old 04-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #35

Completed the last two units last night & sanded them today. Didn't take any pics of the units being built, but I stood them all together to show how much storage space we have created for our 25RR. They fit (left to right) next to entrance door (18"), under window (60"), under TV cabinet (27 3/4") , sofa bench (37") and by the ramp door (23") they are 19 1/4 deep for the tall units with the end units being 62" & 60" while the middle unit is 55". The benches are 19 1/2 deep with the long unit being 18 3/4" tall & the shorter one is 20" tall. I didn't use solid backs as this will make it easier to find the studs so I can mount them to the walls & each other to make it a sturdy unit. They were made from 5/8 plywood and glued & screwed together to hopefully help with vibration. I only sanded the units with 60 grit sandpaper as it is afterall a camper and not the Taj Mahal

The units all need to be stained & we still have to figure out shelves & spacing for the shelves. It's possible we might install a cpl drawers and might make one of the uprights into a wardrobe style with a rod to hold hangers.

Will post more pics when I get back from work and have them stained & varnished
Old 04-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #36

Looking good !!! Keep on pimping
Just wanted to tell u I pulled my 25rr home
Yesterday 110 mile 60-65 mph with out any prob.
70 started to sway a little so I liked 60's better. My buddy said I might need to go one more link on wdh and he said it my tow different with a load . U were right plenty of power up hill most the time I didn't even feel it back there. Not sure how some guys say towing is a nightmare. This was the first time I've ever towed anything this long. and truck said I was avg 12-12.5 mileage not to bad. I'm sure it will go down with more weight.
Take care Sam
sam2581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #37

Nice job. I'm interested to see how anchoring to the wall will work over the long haul (time, not distance). It certainly takes some moral fortitude to get those "big" projects rolling though. They require a lot of quality time.
apollumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollumi View Post
Nice job. I'm interested to see how anchoring to the wall will work over the long haul (time, not distance). It certainly takes some moral fortitude to get those "big" projects rolling though. They require a lot of quality time.
I know I can hit "studs" along the wall to anchor the units. Screwing them to each other should further aid in keeping them stable. Was also thinking of using Gorilla Glue to help keep them stable over the long haul
Old 05-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #39

Didn't mean your work night wolf. What you are making looks pretty solid. I was speaking somewhat tongue in cheek about the wall you were connecting to, the flex of the camper going down the road, etc.

I'd thought about doing the same thing you are doing furniture wise. Still thinking about putting something over the wheel well.

Very close to being finished with my solar project. I might add the finished project to your post here if that is ok. I think it's a pretty neat project for the RR campers. I went a little overboard in the $ spent but still pretty cool.
apollumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollumi View Post
Didn't mean your work night wolf. What you are making looks pretty solid. I was speaking somewhat tongue in cheek about the wall you were connecting to, the flex of the camper going down the road, etc.

I'd thought about doing the same thing you are doing furniture wise. Still thinking about putting something over the wheel well.

Very close to being finished with my solar project. I might add the finished project to your post here if that is ok. I think it's a pretty neat project for the RR campers. I went a little overboard in the $ spent but still pretty cool.

Believe it or not "flex" in what I built was also a concern of mine and yes I too wonder how "solid" the walls are behind that paper thin panelling.

By all means feel free to add ideas to this thread. I may have started it, but it belongs to everyone who wishes to contribute. I head home from work tomorrow and will get my cabinets finished. We pick the 25RR up from the dealer on the 11th (warranty work) and will start installing them at that point

Tags
25rr modifications