Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #11

Some more progress was made over the last cpl days.

I cut plywood to fit the curve of the wall to completely close in the end of the bed, then sanded, stained and added varathane as a clear top coat. The plywood was the same 3/8ths sheeting we used on the bed. Sanded it with 100 grit sandpaper and then stained. Surface isn't "perfect" but it will work great where it's located.

Curved section for wall

2nd piece needed at the foot of the bed

3rd piece for side of the bed frame

A corner moulding will be added here

Old 01-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #12

More pics of the new bed frame sheeting

The_Filly couldn't get out of the pic fast enough. Shows the completed bed

I think we'll be staining this once it warms up & adding a clear coat

We are thinking of using an air mattress as the stock matress seems a wee bit soft

We are discussing at least trying the stock mattress now or possibly the two sofa cushions. Either of our 3 choices will see us use the "memory foam" topper we already own

Old 01-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #13

Since the bed is finished, my next task was to remove the sofa on the left wall

This is what supported the rear of the sofa

Pryed the 1/8 panelling off and discovered 2 pieces of 2X6 lumber. The top piece was "secured" to the first piece with 4 screws. & the 2X6 attached to the wall is held in place with 5 screws.

Now that the sofa was off it was time to strip the hardware from it to be re-used later. Again the sofa base was skinned with that same 1/8th sheeting. Once it was apart The_Filly suggested that we cut it down to use for our table. Smart gal as we had already determined that the stock table is going to be scrapped. Our plan now is to attach the stock table legs to our "new" table

Old 01-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #14

Too many pictures of the modifications? Let me know

Well we removed the valances in the bed room area as The_Filly din't like the material compared to what the rest of the trailer had & she recovered them

What they looked like

Starting to strip covering

Ready to recover

Old 01-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #15

Back side of the material, while it's not a direct match to the rest of the camper material, it will work nicely. We plan on redoing the header over the door too

Starting the recovering

1 finished

1 down, 1 to go
Old 01-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #16

Two newly recovered valances ready to be re-installed

They will be installed after we build a closet/cupboard at the end of the bed. Since we took apart the one sofa, we used the skin to make a template following the curve on the front of the trailer. If anyone is interested in a "rough" template, we are planning on using graph paper and "plotting" the curve as well as the depth of our cabinet. I say "rough" as this template fits the outside wall perfectly, but will need some "trimming/sanding" to get the same type of fit at the end of the bed. We'll scan the dimensions if anyone is interested in doing something similar

The old sofa base has also been re purposed; we trimmed the length & will resheet with a new top. Here's a pic of the new size as it sits on the table that came with our trailer

Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #17

Since my 3 week winter holiday is over no more mods for a cpl weeks. Next mod is to work on the closet/cupboard at the end of the bed (if the temps are conducive to outside work) add another heat vent and extend the one that hits the side of the sofa to under the sofa
Old 01-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #18
itch'n to road trip

WOW! You shoudl have ordered a trailer with nothing in it! So jealous.... wish wqe were as handy as you. *sigh*
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #19

Can't wait to see your closet at the end of the bed. Will definitely have to do the same because that is a must for Melissa. The dimensions and a template would be a very very big help. Thanks,Ronnie
Old 01-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgdds View Post
Can't wait to see your closet at the end of the bed. Will definitely have to do the same because that is a must for Melissa. The dimensions and a template would be a very very big help. Thanks,Ronnie
Picked up two sheets of plywood yesterday and had them cut to 60.5"s. Today I took a 16" strip off the 48" width and began "shaping" the curve along the back wall. Currently they are too deep passing in front of the window, so now that the curves are done they can be trimmed to the proper depth need to fit behind the window valance.

Once that is done we'll graph the curvature in relation to the front. We already know each square on the graph paper will equal 2.33 inches. We'll scan the drawing and definately post it for others to use. I'll advise doing the same as us and cutting it wider than what you'll end up with, so the "shaping" doesn't make the piece too narrow. Supposed to be very cold here again tomorrow so I don't know if I'll have a chance to get any more work done & I head back to work for 2 weeks shortly

Tags
25rr modifications