Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #421

Pimp my 26rr

I use TV trays for inside table.

Don't use chairs. Use wooden bench over my cubes. And use couches.

People have done it. (Patio) I would not exceed the total weight limit the door will hold.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:56 PM   #422

I was getting ready to add permanent storage over the wheel well like many others have until I found these ottomans (SONGMICS Folding Storage Ottoman Coffee Table Foot Rest Stool, Faux Leather, Brown ULSF40Z). I purchased 2 and that takes up most of the wheel well, a lot of storage and gives sitting area also. I do need to add a spacer block in front of the wheel well to support the bottom there. When I load my RZR I need to hug the passenger side to clear the appliances, in these times, I will move the ottomans else where and then utilize them over the wheel wells again while camping.
I plan to relocate the open netted storage in the rear passenger side to the drivers side and add 2-12"x 30" wall cabinets in its place. Winter project!
I included the Amazon link for ottomans and pictures of RZR clearance...please send suggestions and opinions for overhead storage ideas!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ottoman (2).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	151648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ottoman (3).jpg
Views:	174
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	151649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170831_141029697.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	151650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170831_141155156.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	151651   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170831_141326686.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	151652  

Fusefinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:04 PM   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlipscomb923 View Post
I've heard an overwhelming opinion is to take the table out and get a Walmart table... Any other thoughts?

What are people doing for chairs? Anyone get the optional club chairs? Something better/lighter?

Finally, I plan on making a patio on the tailgate... Anyone used a kit or any custom builds?
Not sure if the deck cables are standard or optional on the GW, but adding screw jack stands make the deck really stable. Mine were originally slide supports that I got at a garage sale.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:50 PM   #424

Quote:
I've heard an overwhelming opinion is to take the table out and get a Walmart table... Any other thoughts?

What are people doing for chairs? Anyone get the optional club chairs? Something better/lighter?

Finally, I plan on making a patio on the tailgate... Anyone used a kit or any custom builds?
We had a standard white long plastic table with folding legs and a couple of black metal folding chairs we found at Rite Aid Drugs last year. Have worked well until last week ~ the DW found a bit larger plastic table (wood grain) at Wally Land and they also had folding metal chairs with brown seat cushions to match.
She's happier, I can deal with it ~~

I could never understand what you might do with the 'club chairs' if you were actually going to use the 26rr as a toy hauler, where would you store them during transit? Our chairs now store along side the bed with a bit of padding (my duffel bag) to keep them from rattling between the bed & wall. The table is tied up with the bench against the rear side wall nice & snug.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #425

Added pull handles and decal to ramp door. Got tired of pulling ramp door open by the lock mechanism. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2913.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	151962Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2914.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	151963Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2915.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	151964

Old 09-20-2017, 06:48 PM   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
Added pull handles and decal to ramp door. Got tired of pulling ramp door open by the lock mechanism. Attachment 151962Attachment 151963Attachment 151964
Love the decal Ron ~~
And I'll ask before everyone else, where did you find the handles ~~ Amazon? (geez, do we know you??)
Looks nice and as always, very professional!
Old 09-20-2017, 09:14 PM   #427

When I went to Goshen one of the techs told me about a RV surplus just across boarder in Michigan. I think they were $2 each.

http://bontragers.com/

Old 09-20-2017, 10:52 PM   #428

Quote:
When I went to Goshen one of the techs told me about a RV surplus just across boarder in Michigan. I think they were $2 each.

http://bontragers.com/

Thanks Bud, I'll have to check out what they have.
Been awful busy the past couple of weeks, when things slow down a bit (maybe about 3 weeks from now) I'll pm you and fill you in.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #429

Patio Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Not sure if the deck cables are standard or optional on the GW, but adding screw jack stands make the deck really stable. Mine were originally slide supports that I got at a garage sale.

How do you think the patio door would work with only the screw jacks without the cables? Maybe put screw jacks back where the cable is attached as well? Really like the ottomans as well.
Doug D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:52 PM   #430

Day one with my 26rr

Alright, after much research, measuring, second guessing, and forum stalking, I brought the new 26rr home yesterday, and started to tear it apart immediately...

First thing I did was flip the bathroom entrance door around. It was unbearable to do any work in there going in and out and have to maneuver around that door when entering from the outside. Flipping it opened up the flow of the floorplan SO MUCH. I'm surprised I haven't seen everyone do this.

My main toy to haul is a Can Am Commander 1000 that's been lifted, and has an extended wheel base. The rear helmet rack had to come out, and be cut down by about 8" to sit closer to the wall to fit the roll cage. Removed the shelf entirely, cut to fit, and then cut down the "divider pieces to fit in a more streamlined manner. I actually prefer the look. A lot less bulky.

Then, I installed a space heater/fireplace that we bought on clearance at Home Depot about a year ago and planned to use in our master bathroom. Didn't work out, so now it has a home. Will be great for nights when we need a little heat and don't want to waste propane. And it has rear ambient lighting that matches the LED strips!

Next on the agenda is setting up the door as a patio with a screen door, as well as the aluminum hand Ras and wire rope kit. There are some dealers that are now offering the 26rr with a "factory" wire rope patio kit, so it will not void the warranty. Keeping in mind, the suspended weight capacity has a lower single point load than the drive on capacity when the door is completely supported on the hinge edge as well as the ground edge. On one sticker I saw with a Lippert kit, the still keep said the deck limit was 500 lbs.

My plan is to build the rails myself from aluminum hard conduit... That will be the first real big project

Anyway.. just a few pics.. most of all, proof that with some modification, a Can Am Commander will fit the 26rr!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20171003_210356.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	153330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171003_164904.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	377.1 KB
ID:	153331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171003_164846.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	392.1 KB
ID:	153332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171003_164818.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	467.2 KB
ID:	153333  
Mlipscomb923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:25 AM   #431

Quote:
Alright, after much research, measuring, second guessing, and forum stalking, I brought the new 26rr home yesterday, and started to tear it apart immediately...

First thing I did was flip the bathroom entrance door around. It was unbearable to do any work in there going in and out and have to maneuver around that door when entering from the outside. Flipping it opened up the flow of the floorplan SO MUCH. I'm surprised I haven't seen everyone do this.

My main toy to haul is a Can Am Commander 1000 that's been lifted, and has an extended wheel base. The rear helmet rack had to come out, and be cut down by about 8" to sit closer to the wall to fit the roll cage. Removed the shelf entirely, cut to fit, and then cut down the "divider pieces to fit in a more streamlined manner. I actually prefer the look. A lot less bulky.

Then, I installed a space heater/fireplace that we bought on clearance at Home Depot about a year ago and planned to use in our master bathroom. Didn't work out, so now it has a home. Will be great for nights when we need a little heat and don't want to waste propane. And it has rear ambient lighting that matches the LED strips!

Next on the agenda is setting up the door as a patio with a screen door, as well as the aluminum hand Ras and wire rope kit. There are some dealers that are now offering the 26rr with a "factory" wire rope patio kit, so it will not void the warranty. Keeping in mind, the suspended weight capacity has a lower single point load than the drive on capacity when the door is completely supported on the hinge edge as well as the ground edge. On one sticker I saw with a Lippert kit, the still keep said the deck limit was 500 lbs.

My plan is to build the rails myself from aluminum hard conduit... That will be the first real big project

Anyway.. just a few pics.. most of all, proof that with some modification, a Can Am Commander will fit the 26rr!!!
WOWzers!!

Looks as if you've filled your 26RR pretty full, good job on what you've accomplished so far to say the least. Mind if I offer 1 very small suggestion ~ the fire extinguisher in the last pic ... I moved mine from down close to the floor and re-installed it up higher on the helmet shelf end, gave me more room to get the trike loaded without any small worries.

Hope any remaining mods you have planned continue to work out just as well ~

Old 10-04-2017, 08:02 AM   #432

Quote:

Wow awesome work so far! Totally agree with the bathroom door. One of the first things I did too and so easy. I hated walking around that thing. Seeing your pictures really makes me think there is a way to get my Kawasaki Teryx4 in mine but I have a few things against me that looks like was in your favor. My 26rr doesn’t have the full width door which I see is needed to get your commander tucked over as close as you did. My Teryx is only a few inches wider and probably 8” longer but my stock height is 79”. Curious what your height is as you said your commander is lifted? That’s really my biggest dilemma and well I could do a cage chop but don’t think I could gain 7” doing it.

Keep us updated on any other mods you do. Pictures are great and again awesome job!
Dmaster79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaster79 View Post
Wow awesome work so far! Totally agree with the bathroom door. One of the first things I did too and so easy. I hated walking around that thing. Seeing your pictures really makes me think there is a way to get my Kawasaki Teryx4 in mine but I have a few things against me that looks like was in your favor. My 26rr doesn’t have the full width door which I see is needed to get your commander tucked over as close as you did. My Teryx is only a few inches wider and probably 8” longer but my stock height is 79”. Curious what your height is as you said your commander is lifted? That’s really my biggest dilemma and well I could do a cage chop but don’t think I could gain 7” doing it.

Keep us updated on any other mods you do. Pictures are great and again awesome job!
Im at 74" tall with the Commander. With the angle of the roll cage, it rolls in without any issue. I thought I was going to have to deflate the tires, but it clears just fine, even with the roof.

Granted, I am going to have to strap it down to nearly full spring compression, and likely put a foam buffer between the cabinets and the Commander on both sides when traveling.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #434

Quote:
Im at 74" tall with the Commander. With the angle of the roll cage, it rolls in without any issue. I thought I was going to have to deflate the tires, but it clears just fine, even with the roof.

Granted, I am going to have to strap it down to nearly full spring compression, and likely put a foam buffer between the cabinets and the Commander on both sides when traveling.
I seriously don't know if it would help you out any or not ~ but on my trike, I crisscross straps underneath from the rear to the center tie-down points which helps keep the tail end from bouncing sideways. From the from engine guards, I tie down straight back to the rear tie-down points to keep it from going forward in case of a heavy braking situation, I don't worry about taking off in a drag race to force weight toward the rear. LOL!!

Maybe by crisscrossing your straps on both ends will keep the body off the cabinets and such. I'd most likely let some air out of the tires to gain head room for the cage, then snug down the straps from the body somehow instead of just the frame. Don't know about your suspension, but we always try to never bottom out the suspension on bikes & trikes when hauling.

Just thoughts, hope all continues to work well for you and others hauling the 'big rigs' ~~
Old 10-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #435

Curiosity now ~~ what is the chance of loading with smaller tires and then changing to current tires you have on the Commander ~ somewhat like what they do when hauling the big mud & monster trucks?

Again ~ just a thought??
Old 10-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner Schooner View Post
Great job.... that looks amazing! Now come do mine!
Good job. Who knows why they put it where they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
I seriously don't know if it would help you out any or not ~ but on my trike, I crisscross straps underneath from the rear to the center tie-down points which helps keep the tail end from bouncing sideways. From the from engine guards, I tie down straight back to the rear tie-down points to keep it from going forward in case of a heavy braking situation, I don't worry about taking off in a drag race to force weight toward the rear. LOL!!

Maybe by crisscrossing your straps on both ends will keep the body off the cabinets and such. I'd most likely let some air out of the tires to gain head room for the cage, then snug down the straps from the body somehow instead of just the frame. Don't know about your suspension, but we always try to never bottom out the suspension on bikes & trikes when hauling.

Just thoughts, hope all continues to work well for you and others hauling the 'big rigs' ~~
Quote:
Quote:
Got tired of my but being sore after sitting on. Each couch for a while. So I constructed a new base that resembles the inner workings of a couch. It's still not a recliner but we can at least watch a full movie without feeling we sat on concrete all nightAttachment 132877
Destruction of bench
Attachment 132878
New framing
Attachment 132879
Addition of spring clips
Attachment 132880
Addition of springs
Attachment 132881
Tacking on the batting
Attachment 132882
Adding the dust sheet
Attachment 132883
Addition of hinges
Attachment 132884
Screwing it back in place
Attachment 132885
Covering wood with batting
Attachment 132886
Looks same as old one reapplied skirting
Attachment 132887
How it looked folded up. Added another 2x4 to back bracing so it folds much nicer with cushions behind it
Old 10-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #437

I recently had the opportunity to chat with a friend and look inside his 26RR. He hauls a Can-Am Commander 1000 and had to remove the netted shelf on the passengers side to fit his buggy. I have issues with the same shelf and took some quick measurements and came up with this solution. I have the 2017 Model with the narrow door same as him. The door to wall measures 12" on the passenger side and the netted shelf is 17". I relocated the netted shelf to the drivers side, which is still less intrusive than the sink. I installed 2 30" wide X 12" deep X 18" high cabinets ( from Home Depot same color and style as OEM) to reclaim the lost space. Here are the final picks: and it should give enough clearance for a 60" buggy and will make it easier to hug the door with my 50"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Cabinets (2).jpg
Views:	149
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	154598   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Cabinets (1).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	154599   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Cabinets (3).jpg
Views:	164
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	154600  
Fusefinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusefinder View Post
I recently had the opportunity to chat with a friend and look inside his 26RR. He hauls a Can-Am Commander 1000 and had to remove the netted shelf on the passengers side to fit his buggy. I have issues with the same shelf and took some quick measurements and came up with this solution. I have the 2017 Model with the narrow door same as him. The door to wall measures 12" on the passenger side and the netted shelf is 17". I relocated the netted shelf to the drivers side, which is still less intrusive than the sink. I installed 2 30" wide X 12" deep X 18" high cabinets ( from Home Depot same color and style as OEM) to reclaim the lost space. Here are the final picks: and it should give enough clearance for a 60" buggy and will make it easier to hug the door with my 50"

Did a good job on cabinets. Great color matching.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:57 PM   #439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusefinder View Post
Great job!
Old 10-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #440

Nice! I was thinking on going this route, but after test fitting the Commander, and having to pull in at an angle, then cut back over, I just decided to leave it blank, and cut back the helmet rack to be even with the rest of the shelves. I may go back later and put the home Depot cabinets over the window, using the "over the microwave" short style.