Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2019, 04:22 PM   #1

Power Toy Hauler with Generator with or without Battery?

My 2019 Cherokee 22RR is in storage but where I can get to it. There are a couple of modifications that I would like to make on it while it's in storage. My question: Can I put temporary power to it without installing a battery and run it off my Firman Generator as long as the battery conections are completely isolated from each other and it isn't connected to a battery. Just for a short time while I take some measurements for the mods. Thanks in advance!
tomm1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:24 PM   #2

are you asking if you can connect the shore power cord to the generator without a battery installed? short answer, yes.

i'm assuming that you expect the converter to supply 12 volt power in order to run the lights. it should be able to do this but you will not have a robust 12 volt power system like you would if a battery was installed. the battery can supply bursts of power to operate 12 volts devices that need a burst (slides). the converter cannot. i don't see an issue for a short period of time.

why is there no battery installed? i'm guessing you took it out while in storage so that it will not get discharged. it you install a true battery disconnect and have the batteries fully charged before you put it in storage they will last several months without a discharge.

Tags
battery, generator, power, toy hauler