Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #1

Question about material under the trailer

I need to access the underside of the wolf pup to install tie down points in the correct places. Currently the underside of the trailer is covered in some sort of black plasticish material with no obvious access points. I'm hesitant to cut into it but I will if I have to. What have people here down to gain access, and if you cut the material how do you seal it after ?

Thx
brookside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Forget the name, colorplast, or something like that. Basically plastic cardboard.

Cut it with a utility knife, make straight cuts. Then I place a piece of thin paneling over one side and screw down with wood screws. The do the other side. If you are really worried, seal it up with RTV sealant afterwords.

You can go the long way, and unbolt and remove each section.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #3

No, maybe I'm not discribing this correctly - directly above the steel chassis is a plastic fabric material . That I assume keeps the elements away from whatever insulation and utilities run on top of the frame and below the floor. That's what I need to cut to gain access to the underside of the floor and it's not coroplast. It looks more like a tarp, but black
Old 02-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Pictures are worth a thousand words. That might help those not familiar with the wolf pup.

Just out of curiosity, what are the tiedowns for?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #5

The picture would show nothing other than a black plastic sheet . Motorcycles.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If it is above the frame, then there is nothing above it but the floor. Push up on it, do you immediately feel the wood floor? If so, cut it out of the way, make a sheet metal repair, and spray with auto undercoating. Don't use too long of a screw to fasten the sheet metal repair to the underside.

Now, on my Work and play, I mounted tie downs. I laid them out, marked, and then used a hole saw, but didn't drill all the way through the floor. Just enough, took a chisel, removed the flooring, enough so the tie down would lay flat. Drilled through the floor for the bolts, and installed them. The bottom of my floor was also covered in some black something, but more like painted on. After I had all the bolts in, I sprayed with auto undercoating.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookside View Post
No, maybe I'm not discribing this correctly - directly above the steel chassis is a plastic fabric material . That I assume keeps the elements away from whatever insulation and utilities run on top of the frame and below the floor. That's what I need to cut to gain access to the underside of the floor and it's not coroplast. It looks more like a tarp, but black
I know the material you are talking about. I ran into this same issue on my last travel trailer. There was really no way to remove it because of the sequence of construction. I had to cut a slit in it to gain access to install some tie downs as well. On this paticular trailer their was no insulation on the floor. After I cut the tarp I stapled all along the seam and siliconed the cut. Not sure if your Wolf Pup is insulated on the floor or not. I did end up insulating the floor on mine eventually with blue board and an HDPE liner over the top of the blue board. Made a noticeable improvement in heating and cooling the trailer.
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Is the material a corrugated underbelly such as coroplast or a Darco tarp-like covering? Both are used.

If you need access, repairs can be made to either material and patched up with various tape and patches available from your dealer or on the internet.

You can search this forum and rv.net for Darco, coroplast, flex mend, scrim shield. There's a bunch of names for both the tarp and the corrugated-plastic material.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #9

Thanks! Flex mend is exactly what I need!