Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2016, 10:41 AM   #1
RiderBloke
 
RiderBloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sanford, MI
Posts: 323
Ramp Surface

Well we are enjoying our 26RR. In the 14 months we have owned it I have towed it 5,500 miles and slept in it for 174 nights as I wintered in Florida working with Habitat. The bike (BMW F800GT) has done most of those miles in the back and I am very happy over all with the setup and the weight distribution as I journey. The trailer has been very good on the road and both my wife and I like it a lot. She has only slept in it for a couple of weeks because she has to work to pay for all this 😜.
My one gripe or rather worry is the ramp surface when unloading the bike. (Loading is a no worry exercise.) A friend taught me how he does it and it works OK but my heart rate goes up considerably during the exercise. Never touch the front brake; have the motor running and the bike in gear and use the clutch as the brake; go down as straight as you can. I keep the motor running in case it stops where my feet don't touch the ground, usually right at the bottom of the ramp - with the motor running I can always go forward up the ramp a bit and have a second (or third) go. That's where the adrenalin pumps very hard. So far no issues 😛 (except I did drop the bike in the grass in Dade City after it was out as I rode around to get it under the awning). 😡
So all this is to ask: Has anyone found a way to make the surface of the ramp much less slippery to a bike tyre? It looks and feels fairly rough but in reality is just a smooth surface to the tyres.


Sent from somewhere on the face of the earth with my iPad/iPhone using Forest River Forums
2014 Toyota Tundra towing 2016 Grey Wolf 26RR hauling BMW F800GT
73 nights camping & 3990 miles towing in 2015
__________________

__________________
Retired Intentional Interim Minister
Member of the BMW MOA
Saginaw Valley BMW Riders
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:24 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 169
Hey Riderbloke, what I normally do when unloading a bike is have the engine off and in gear sitting on it riding it down. That way when you are rolling back you use the clutch for your rear brake controlling your speed, and of course you use your front break if needed but your speed will be low. Learned this years ago with dirt bikes while walking along, you can let go of the clutch and it is like the breakaway on the trailer.
I have never heard of having the motor running and then use the clutch for the rear brake, sounds dangerous to me. The front tire locks up pretty quick as I am sure you have noticed since there is not much of a load on it. Give it a try this way you will feel much safer.
__________________

__________________
Steve
Golden CO
2016 Grey Wolf 26RR Limited
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #3
RiderBloke
 
RiderBloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sanford, MI
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuterbru View Post
Hey Riderbloke, what I normally do when unloading a bike is have the engine off and in gear sitting on it riding it down. That way when you are rolling back you use the clutch for your rear brake controlling your speed, and of course you use your front break if needed but your speed will be low. Learned this years ago with dirt bikes while walking along, you can let go of the clutch and it is like the breakaway on the trailer.
I have never heard of having the motor running and then use the clutch for the rear brake, sounds dangerous to me. The front tire locks up pretty quick as I am sure you have noticed since there is not much of a load on it. Give it a try this way you will feel much safer.


Thanks, I'll try it that way next time.
Ride safely.


Sent from my iPhone somewhere on the face of the earth using Tapatalk
__________________
Retired Intentional Interim Minister
Member of the BMW MOA
Saginaw Valley BMW Riders
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 169
You will feel much safer, because you will be able to control the speed really easily, try it on a level surface or slight incline to get the feel of it. My next project is getting my K75 in my 26rr. Going to have to go back to putting the ATV in the back of the truck but I am OK with that since I will have both my toys with me.
__________________
Steve
Golden CO
2016 Grey Wolf 26RR Limited
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
the more you load and un load the easier it gets . for me it's ride it in and back it out , always with engine running and in 1st gear heading in and out . i have a 950 lbs vulcan 2000
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #6
RiderBloke
 
RiderBloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sanford, MI
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
the more you load and un load the easier it gets . for me it's ride it in and back it out , always with engine running and in 1st gear heading in and out . i have a 950 lbs vulcan 2000


Yep. That's what I've been doing for the year or so I've had the trailer. I only keep the engine running coming out in case it doesn't roll far enough for me to get my feet down as we get to the bottom of the ramp.
Take care.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Retired Intentional Interim Minister
Member of the BMW MOA
Saginaw Valley BMW Riders
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
RiderBloke
 
RiderBloke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sanford, MI
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuterbru View Post
You will feel much safer, because you will be able to control the speed really easily, try it on a level surface or slight incline to get the feel of it. My next project is getting my K75 in my 26rr. Going to have to go back to putting the ATV in the back of the truck but I am OK with that since I will have both my toys with me.


In case you are looking at how and where to tie the K75 in have a look at my earlier thread from last year where I detail the extra floor rugs I added and how I tied the HF wheel chock in. It has worked out very well and still allows me to use the trailer when I am traveling.
Take care.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Retired Intentional Interim Minister
Member of the BMW MOA
Saginaw Valley BMW Riders
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:14 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
rmac04401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Adams County, PA
Posts: 1,989
Ramp Surface

I ride mine in in 1st gear running, then Not running riding out. I have loaded and unloaded many times.
__________________
2016 Grey Wolf 26rr
2005 Honda VTX 1300
2012 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 169
Yep Riderbloke I saw that, plan on doing that myself, pretty good post. Glad to hear it is still working for ya.
__________________

__________________
Steve
Golden CO
2016 Grey Wolf 26RR Limited
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.