Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #1

Seat Issue

So we took the camper out over the weekend and on Saturday, here in Iowa it was cold, wet and rainy. We spent most of the day in the camper watching movies. It wasn't too long into the first movie while we were sitting there (and that's all!!) and the seat drops about 1 inch. We jumped up and to my horror found that the bench was falling apart. You might want to check your seats in your RR.

When I got home I took a closer look at it and discovered that they used a 1 inch screw on my hinges that were holding the (what I call a hollow core closet door) seat to the camper. To make matter worse, 1/8th of inch or so of the screw is going through the laminate paneling on top. It's no wonder the bench stayed together as long as it did. When you sit on the bench the weight is literally forcing the screw out of the hinge. Most of my hinges were also bent.

I resolved by building a temporary brace to hold the bench in place while I put in larger screws and some new brads to put the paneling together. The hinges were bent back into shape and all assembled again. I used a furring strip along the bottom of the door to support the weight of the door when it is down instead of the hinges.

I only post this because others might want to check their benches in their RR campers too. I think the design needs to be updated and the fix is simple. I now need to stain the strips to match the outside one where the table rests when folded into the sleeper position.

Some horrible photos attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brace.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	75394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hinge.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	442.1 KB
ID:	75395   Click image for larger version

Name:	FurStrip.jpg