Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2016, 10:28 PM   #1

Subwoofer

My 25RR has the Furrion DV3100 stereo which has a subwoofer output on the back of the unit.

Do I need a powered sub for this or just a speaker I can mount into the cabinet?

I've owned this trailer for two weeks now and Its the greatest DIY project ever.

It's just like my Harleys where you want to change things just enough to personalize it and make it your own.

Very cool
Old 02-21-2016, 10:58 PM   #2

Congrats on your new TT. I'm not knowledgable on woofers. But I have modified my 26rr just like my bike to fit us. Enjoy your new toy hauler
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:03 PM   #3

Depends on the output.

Is it line level or speaker level.

Rca jack or speaker outputs.

Rca means power ( doubtful)
Speaker level means just wire it in.
You need a cabinet and a driver, it's very low power.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 02-22-2016, 09:02 AM   #4

Subwoofer

You'r certainly correct about a tt being a great DIY project. If your audio system is of the caliber mine is,Cheap,Junk,Crap,{IRV 66}then all you need to do is hook up a non powered subwoofer to it. But don't expect too much in the form of great improvement in sound.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #5

According to the manual the sub out is via an RCA or high impedence output. You will need either a powered sub or a mono amplifier and sub. I went with a conservative Memphis 250W mono amp and a 12" Memphis dual voice coil sub woofer in a sealed housing. I like the wired remote volume adjustment ability that I placed near my recliner. I also added a 2F capacitor, which probably wasn't necessary. Pulling 4 gauge wiring would be a pain in some instances, but I had to add 12 volt wiring anyway. A powered sub is far, far easier to wire and install, but might not produce the best sound quality.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #6

Thanks for all the responses.
I like the idea of a powered sub, I can just stick it up in the cabinet for now to get a little bass.
I really like good sound equipment so I'll eventually replace the whole thing
I was able to get a new truck and RV in an 8 month period, so if I come home with $1,000 dollars or more of audio equip, I may just be living in the trailer.
Marriage is a great institution, If you like institutions
Old 02-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #7

Amazon.com : Kicker Hideaway Compact Powered Sub : Vehicle Subwoofer Systems : Car Electronics

Anything like this will work !
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #8

subwoofer

Now were getting into the annoying neighbor territory.
Happy Camper 2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:28 AM   #9

Subwoofer

How did you connect your TV to the radio so the sound come out through the radio speakers
gil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #10

I used the out put Jack on the back of my TV to the front of the stereo aux. input with a retractable ear bud style cord with two male ends.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:19 PM   #11

Subs
Aztec1382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:58 PM   #12

I used a Jamo powered sub. It's a little work to run the rca jack back, but it made all the difference in the world
nickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #13

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Be mindful, the inside of an RV is full of things that will vibrate, and at all sorts of different resonant frequencies. The construction of the cabinetry is almost certainly not robust enough for use as a sub enclosure. This wont be a huge issue at lower / polite volumes but if you are truly alone in the middle of nowhere and want to enjoy the nightly concert on Sirius, or trying to rock out on a NASCAR infield, there could be some unpredictable sound effects.

A stand-alone powered subwoofer would be an interesting consideration, definitely takes the cabinet mount out of the equation.

As OP originally mentioned, his stereo sub-out is an RCA jack which is line-level (low, NOT speaker) so this would be a low-brainer to plug into a powered sub.

(Edit to correct a couple typos)

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #14
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
My sub was flubbed!

The audio "geniuses" that did my unit, placed the sub with the speaker opening and ports tightly up against an outside compartment wall, inside a bottom cabinet. The only way I knew it was there, was when I went outside to get something from an outer storage area. The bass was amazing outside the camper and better still when I opened the pod bay door, Hal! My wife wondered what that box was with some wires......when she loaded that cabinet with our extra stuff. While I had it out....modification time....lol. I have since relocated it to just outside that cabinet and corner loaded it. Corner loading improves the bass tremendously. Experiment locations a bit for best results. Now, you cannot hear it outside unless I do an 11 on the volume.....lol.

Annnndddd that started the mods to the rest of the sound system. The "sound bar" had speakers that sounded like a drumstick on wet paper. Those went away. Found some great replacements that fit back in the bar. Just had to find some low wattage but highly efficient speakers, as I wanted to retain the stock RCA surround unit, as it has low power but decent quality. Sounds so much better now. The bedroom speakers were even worse, if that could be imagined. Replaced those. As for the outsides....well, they were worse yet. Since I like my outdoors (and neighbors) no mods there. I figure the few times I want music outside, I use my earphones or Bluetooth speaker.

Please, just be mindful of your surroundings when you get loud. Especially bass....travels a lot further than you might think and can be annoying enough to send some people over the edge....and they may be less than mentally stable!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote