Old 12-03-2015, 08:33 PM   #1

Taking my new 26rr out for first time tomorrow

First trip, and new to camping. Anyone have any pointers or tips for me and the family as we embark on our first trip with the new camper? Didn't get our surge protector yet so I hope we don't have any issues there. What about fridge, we plan on packing everything in a cooler and turning fridge on when we arrive on ac power. Will it cool down pretty quickly? Never had propane turned on so is there a good way off bleeding air out of lines? Does the fridge auto switch to propane once ac power is disconnected? Assuming I have propane still turned on? Any help would be awesome! TIA

Old 12-03-2015, 09:49 PM   #2

To bleed lines just turn on your stove burners and light. Your stove is furthest point from tanks.

Your fridge will switch automatically when you plug in or unplug. You will hear the gas kick on if your outside by vent.

Tip: Take your corners wide. The trailer drifts some. Just think of the small signs on back of tractor trailers. I'm not saying take up two lanes. Take to deserted parking lot for practice there you will be able to get the hang of it before running a curb hitting mailbox or tree.

I drove semi in the service so I was ok with driving a trailer, but with the 31ft I have to give wider birth than my old 26 ft. My wife is still learning. If you have driven big trailers before than disregard most of this.

I have my fridge turned on when plugged into house and have packed. When I unplug it kicks to propane. It takes a little bit for fridge to cool down. I always pack before leaving.

5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:56 PM   #3

Thank you. So, is the fridge a 3 way and run on DC too? Everything done automatically? So I have no switches to flip or anything. Just senses ac power and immediately flips over? Also, as far as propane do you all only have it turned on when using it and then bleed lines, or do you just leave it valved in?
Old 12-03-2015, 10:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1984 View Post
Thank you. So, is the fridge a 3 way and run on DC too? Everything done automatically? So I have no switches to flip or anything. Just senses ac power and immediately flips over? Also, as far as propane do you all only have it turned on when using it and then bleed lines, or do you just leave it valved in?

I leave my propane tank on all the time. Your heat and fridge runs off this when your not plugged in.

Refrigerator runs of shore power or propane. There is a on button on front of the refrigerator to turn on and off. Like main power switch.

Your water heater also runs on gas or electric. Make sure it is filled with water before turning the switch on.

When you are plugged in if you open the hatch to your water heater from outside down on the left side there is a black toggle switch that will make water heater use electric instead of propane. Just make sure tank is full before using.

If you have winterized you will need to flush your lines before turning your bypass knobs to fill water heater again. Don't want pink stuff in there. I think you are in FL so you probably don't have to worry about the pink stuff. Enjoy your trip. Keep a pad of paper and pencil handy. You will find out in first trip what you need to buy that you have not. Have fun and U.S. Northerners are so jealous right now.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:14 PM   #5

There may be a piece of silver tape over the wh toggle switch on the water heater. Took me a while to find it because it was covered.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:25 PM   #6

Thank you for your help. So no DC power for fridge? I don't have to worry about that draining the battery? Yes, we are very lucky here in Florida we are just entering our best camping season. Where we're headed this weekend is mid 70s during day and low 60s at night. We're looking forward to breaking her in. Again thanks for all the help, I have learned so much in this forum and everyone has been great!
Old 12-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #7

Just think of fridge like AC pulls too much current to run on DC.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1984 View Post
Thank you for your help. So no DC power for fridge? I don't have to worry about that draining the battery? Yes, we are very lucky here in Florida we are just entering our best camping season. Where we're headed this weekend is mid 70s during day and low 60s at night. We're looking forward to breaking her in. Again thanks for all the help, I have learned so much in this forum and everyone has been great!

Correct. No battery drainage. Lights, radio, co sensor are dc power drains. If you have deep cell battery you will be fine.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #9

Well first off, you should have set it up in the driveway and spent the weekend in it!
Especially since this is your first RV, trial and error is the best way to learn.

I have seen your other posts, you overthink things, so do I.
Relax! You are going to love it!

Take your time while traveling, I say this again, TAKE YOUR TIME!
Do not be in a hurry to get to where you are going, pay attention to how the trailer handles etc.
Pulling a trailer is way different than just driving a truck, just pay attention to what is going on around you and it will be fine. Once you get the hang of it, oh, say after half an hour or so, you will relax and it is not a big deal and it becomes fun!

At least in Florida, you wont have to worry about hills!

And the best part, no matter how far you travel you will never be more than 30’ from a bathroom!

Keep pens and a notebook in the rig. Take notes, what you want to do, what you need for the next trip etc. Whatever it is, as you think of it, write it down.

Did you get it from a dealer? I am guessing not, they would have gone over all of this with you.

On the propane, I leave one of the bottles open, one closed while traveling and when I get to where I am going then I turn the other bottle back on. That way if a line is opened up, valve on the stove hit etc. while traveling, I won’t lose all my propane. It has never happened, but just in case, makes me feel better while traveling.
You should only have to “bleed the lines” if you remove both tanks at the same time so the system d-pressurizes. Like others said, run the stove for a few minutes. The fridge, water heater and furnace, if they don’t ignite, you simply turn them off and on again until they do. They will also try a few times before they error out. I have never had to stop and restart one of them more than a second time.

I would make sure they all work before you leave.

When changing bottles out, have the regulator pointed to the bottle that has propane and the bottle valve on. Turn off the empty bottle. Loosen up the mechanism holding the bottles in place so you can pull the bottle out. Have the replacement bottle handy (I highly recommend having a 3rd bottle) unhook the line and swap them out, put the line on first with the new bottle. You might notice a small amount of propane with the line open, if anything. If you have a lot of propane coming out, you most likely had the regulator pointed at the empty bottle. Then tighten everything back up.

The fridge is MOST LIKELY a 2 way fridge, 120V AC and Propane. You HAVE TO HAVE 12V for the fridge to work, even on 120V but it will not run off of 12V alone (cool things down) if it is a 2 way.
It is automatic, if 120V is available it will use that, if not it will switch to propane. So, make sure your propane is turned on. As others have said, it takes a while for the fridge to cool down. You want to pack it the day before, after it was on for a day, just to make sure everything is cooled down before you head out. They work on a completely different system than what you have in your house. It takes them much longer to recoup from having the door open or cool down warm items in the fridge. I would restock with beer/ sodas before you go to bed, so they can be cooled down when you get up. I would leave the fridge on all the time as long as it is plugged in. I would also stock it with its own condiments, ketchup, mustard mayo etc.
The fridge hardly uses any propane or battery power to run. I had mine that became unplugged for over a week, did not notice it. The propane and battery, it was unnoticeable on how much was used.
You want the camper to have as much as possible so you are not having to pack and unpack everything all the time. Have its own pots, pans, kitchen utensils etc. I have pretty much everything I need at all times for a 3 night trip, other than fresh food. I have it pretty much setup so all I have to do is deal with clothes and food for each trip.

Your water heater is most likely both 120V and Propane. Look outside at the water heater, is there a switch on the lower left of it? You will also see a breaker that says Water Heater in the breaker panel under the fridge, bottom one on mine. I travel with the water heater OFF on Propane. When I get to where I am going, turn it on first thing. On electric you have no problem, just leave the switch on. If more than one person wants to take a shower at the same time, fire up the propane for the water heater, it recovers much faster. There is a switch on the panel by the sink. I would leave the propane off when not taking a shower, since you are paying for the propane and electricity is the same no matter how much you use.

Again, HAVE FUN!
Steve…
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #10
Retired Techie

60,s 70,s. I am jealous. 27 low 49 high in Louisville. Moving further South Sunday. Warmer in Mich than it is here.
Freeze or cool your food before putting in rv fridge. Not real efficient at freezing. Just turn one propane on, put food in and forget it. Doesn't use much gas and works automatically.
Something else I just learned. Humidity is a problem. Turn on vent when cooking or showering. If not you will have water running off the windows to the walls after a couple days. I cracked the black vents while traveling. Dried it right out.
Maybe see you in FL. Will be in Carabelle for Xmas then move on south.

1998 Honda Valkerie
2016 Camping 148 days so far
moligney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time