Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #1

this is a bad day

poor guy what a bad day. really windy but I don't see a load leveling system or sway control. gets real interesting at 47 seconds into the video.

dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
MI Camperz

How long does that TT look to you? Looks 40 or more to me.
I know I really don't like pulling our 34. We're seasonal or else I wouldn't own one that long. Except we might go to the Goshen rally 2.5 hours away. But we do have WDH and sway control system.

Glad no one was hurt.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure even sway control could control wind like that. The trailer just blew over.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
MI Camperz

With a WDH and Sway control, is it possible the wind would not have compounded the swaying? It looks like the wind helped it over when it was swaying....like it got some velocity sideways and the wind took advantage of that and finished the job.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
MI Camperz

I found where the owner/tower stated it was a 42' destination trailer. I took his quote from utube. He was replying in his defense:

I've learned that you shouldn't make derogatory accusations about a person without having all the facts in your arsenal. Let me educate you on who the "idiot" is. This 42' Destination model is not to be pulled cross country. You place it in a permanent spot. Driving speed was 40 mph, which is 30 mph below posted limit. The next exit was 10 mi away. We planned to stop there if this hadn't happened. As a professional driver I decided the gusts (65-70 mph) were too dangerous to go on. The "Moron"

I always thought 40' was the maximum allowed to tow by a layperson. I thought after 40', had to be towed by a professional large load towing company.

Mike and Lynn
Old 03-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #6

With winds like that I wouldn't be towing anything anywhere.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
Just Love to Camp

Don't know if it matters that our is a 5er or not with some begin over the bed but we measure in at 43.4

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
MI Camperz

I just looked it up. For Michigan, max length is 53' and combined two vehicle length is 65.
If anyone is interested in knowing for their state, go here:
http://www.readybrake.com/state_laws.html

In Indiana, max length is 40'....combined 60'. Interesting with Goshen coming up.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
Always Learning

I pull a 42' fifth wheel. The only laws in MD that really apply are weight limits and distinctions needed for my drivers license (need a non-commercial class A license because I'm over a gross combined weight of 26,001 pounds).

Otherwise- there are length restrictions in many states. For instance, again here in MD, over 55' means that I am supposed to stick to interstates and then take the most direct route once I get off of the highway.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
Director, FROG

Besides the problems for they guy towing the trailer, I couldn't help noticing how the guy shooting the video was tailgating. The distance from the vehicle in front of him was about 0.8 seconds, based on how long it took him to reach a cone after the vehicle ahead passed it.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #11

no doubt way to windy to pull anything and the largest I pulled was 35' on the bumper with srw powerstroke f250 and that was damn scary when the wind hit at 25 mph to 35 mph gusts I couldn't imagine those wind speeds!! I used wdh and 2 sway brakes but still too spooky so that why I switched to a fifth wheel. poor drivers on the roads that have no idea what it means to pull a trailer let alone a camper are no doubt the cause of a lot of accidents as well but this one in the video was all over back and forth till it went up and the wind took it over for sure! I would've needed a clean pair of shorts after that trip!! lol
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote