Old 10-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #1

Towing a Wolf Pup 17RR

Hi. I was just looking for some advice from current owners of the Wolf Pup 17RR. Did you find it necessary to get a WD hitch and/or sway control? I am towing with a V-6 1999 Chevy S-10 very similar to the one pictured here. The tow rating on my truck is 5500 pounds and I am guessing I will be around 4500 pounds with the trailer fully loaded (17 RR Trailer is has a 3100 ish pound dry weight). The tongue weight on the trailer is around 320 pounds I believe. Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck Pic.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	8811  

Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #2

If you stay on leveled roads and stay away from big hills you should be okay but otherwise I would go for a full size truck. I pull my minilite 1809s with my 2009 uplander and as long as I cruze at 90 and stay on level roads I have no problems at all. HD oil cooler and HD transmission cooler is a must. I see that you have very big tires which could put a brake in your pulling.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

With a listed tongue weight of 380 lbs. that may grow significantly (especially if you don't carry anything in the garage), you may have upwards of a 500 lb. tongue weight. You are also looking at a 5300 lb. GVWR. I had a similar setup as your truck with a 1996 Blazer (with the tow package), and I would not have pulled anything that heavy without a WDH and sway control. You have a compact truck pulling a conventional (but small) camper..........use all available safety systems that are available to you....ie, WDH with intregrated sway control such as the Reese Dual Cam, Equailizer, or Blue Ox systems, as well as a quality brake controller.

As cupucine stated, make sure your truck has the trailer towing goodies that are included with the tow package, and check your final drive ratio to make sure you have the 5500 lb. tow rating. I had to special order my Blazer to get the low final drive ratio and the 5500 lb. tow rating.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

you shouldn't be using fictional "dry" weights, especially with a Toyhauler TT. the actual tongue weight will be a lot more and maybe too much for your truck.
but the GVWR is 5380lbs., under your 5500 number.
but that's with only a 150lb. driver in the truck. anything else in the truck, including the bed and the WDH, will subtract its weight from your 5500.

if you have the factory tow package, then you'll have that 5500lbs. number. but not if you don't.

there's a number of 17RR owners here, maybe they'll chime in with some real world numbers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #5

I have a 17RR and pull it with my trail rated Jeep Liberty Renegade, which has a towing capacity of 5000 lbs. I don't have any hills in my region to speak of, and it pulls it great. I own a WD hitch, but haven't felt any need to use it, since I haven't had any sway. I barely even notice it's back there, even with my toys in it (huge dune buggy with roll cage, fills up every inch of available cargo space).
Old 10-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #6

flyfishingfan: I was just looking at a brochure that I have on the PUP.The shipping weight is 2953 and I gess your yellow sticker is 3100. You are planning to bring it to 4500 lbs when fully loaded. My fear is that your trailer is only a single axle and the tires will be quite at their limits for a single axle. What size of tires comes the 17RR? I presume that they are made in china like most of the tires todays. I looked at the pup a few weeks ago while I was camping because there was a dealer of PUP next to the camping. Nice little trailer and quite heavy considering that this trailer is only 79 inches wide versus 96 inches for a regular trailer. They are very well equipped for their size. A 50 gallons fresh water tank is quite bigger than any trailer twice the size of this pupp is very unusual.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishingfan View Post
Hi. I was just looking for some advice from current owners of the Wolf Pup 17RR. Did you find it necessary to get a WD hitch and/or sway control? I am towing with a V-6 1999 Chevy S-10 very similar to the one pictured here. The tow rating on my truck is 5500 pounds and I am guessing I will be around 4500 pounds with the trailer fully loaded (17 RR Trailer is has a 3100 ish pound dry weight). The tongue weight on the trailer is around 320 pounds I believe. Thanks for your help.
How did your S10 tow your Wolf Pup 17RR? i have a 1998 S10 and purchasing a Wolf Pup 17RR in Feb. My S10 is a V6 w/mfg tow pkg. Have you had any issues?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #8

Have a 2008 Honda pilot - using a wd hitch, tekonsha brake controller. No issues whatsoever and live in a hilly area.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #9

Thank you everyone for the replies. Picked up my WolfPup 17RR last thursday and couldn't be happier. The picture I attached is right of the lot with no WD or sway control. You can see the back end of my truck was riding a little low. I drove the 70 miles home just like this on flat ground and it towed just fine. I did decide to go ahead and buy an equalizer (6000/600 model) and after installing it saturday, it does like an absolute dream. The peace of mind I will have w/ this hitch was well worth the money. Let me know if you have any more questions, I would be happy to help. Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1707.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	9030  
Old 11-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #10

Very nice trailer flyfishingfan. Having a new trailer is quite something in our life. Have a look at my minilite hooked to our Uplander. Yours should be quite easy to pull specially when it is a single axle. Much less friction on the road!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC05956.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	9035  

Tags
17rr