Old 06-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #1

Warranty help

I need some help in filing a warranty claim. The siding over the left wheel well is separating. I originally noticed this several days ago as a slight buckle. I was looking the camper over a few days after when I noticed the buckle and the siding had actually pulled loose. Since a rain storm was coming (ended up a big one with a tornado and hard rain) I beat feet to the nearest RV dealer and explained the situation and got some sealant. This is the glop around the opening. Today, after I finished looking at where to mount the stabilization jacks I looked at the wheel well and it is even worse than before. Pictures below.

Basically the whole top part of the wheel well is becoming separated.

The reason it is coming separated is the the fender trim on this side was just "barely" on the aluminum siding (somebody in assembly was in a hurry me thinks). It is only a matter of time before the whole aluminum piece on top of the fender trim is fully exposed.

The guy I bought the camper from is 400 miles away so taking it to him is not an option. I need this fixed since I am taking vacation at the end of this month and I was planning on going on vacation in this camper. I know some of you are familiar with the process of a warranty claim and need your help. Numbers and somebody I could send the photos to would be a plus. I certainly wouldn't mind some experienced advice here.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:29 AM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

don't know what you mean by a warranty claim.
FR doesn't do direct warranty claims. i think you're thinking of an insurance claim.

you need to contact FR for a dealer closer to you, that will do the warranty work.
or you contact FR to find if you can get an independent RV shop to do the work, if there's no FR dealer nearby.
you'll probably have to pay for it upfront and then FR will reimburse you. but you have to have prior approval.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #3

Your best bet is to take it back where you bought it, they should be able to fix it. for you. How long have you had the unit?
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #4

@bikendan. I don't know what you mean when you say "FR doesn't do direct warranty claims."

Our 233s has been back to the FR factory twice for "factory warranty" work. Once for 3 leaky bunkends and it is there right now for a leaky skylight

@the opening poster
The process that we followed was to contact our dealer (I guess you could use any local FR dealer) and explain to them the issue we had that we felt should be covered under warranty. The dealer went to bat for us with FR. In our case FR agreed that the issue was a warranty item and agreed to fix it at the factory. Now our issues were big perhaps if they were smaller FR would authorize the dealer to do the work.
This is all assuming that your trailer is still covered under the 1 or 2 year factory warranty

2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn V8 Hemi
Previous Trailer -> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

It is also my understanding that returning it to the factory was an option for warranty (or any other major repair) was always an option.

If I ever have any type of delamination you can bet I will be on the phone with Flagstaff to get an RMA for a slot at their rework facility.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #6

I tried both times to deal directly with FR on my warranty items but both times I had to go through my dealer to get them to respond.

It is funny really emails being sent between three parties, FR Rep, Dealer Rep, and myself.
All parties in the TO: or SENT FROM: on each email but the FR Rep will not address me directly in the emails or responded to a question I direct at him until the question is repeated by the Dealer Rep.

I guess FR wants to keep that level of separation.

It is working for me so I am not going to question it.

2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn V8 Hemi
Previous Trailer -> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

As a tech, return to the factory is worked out with the dealer and Forrest River. If the repair is too complicated, or the dealer doesn't have the necessary tools and equipment, then the option to return is looked at. Last one we returned, the rubber roof split at the edge, all the wall down the new Shasta trailer. Soaked the whole inside wall on the inside, had water in the cabinets. Not much option but to send that back for a new wall, and wahat ever damage had been done to the roof.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Hopefully an "out of warranty" or "non-covered" warranty situation could be handled differently. I would hate to think a delaminated wall would have to be repaired by my former, but still totally inept, dealership.

I would haul it 3000 miles to avoid returning there for a light bulb.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #9

Btw, the camper is brand new (It's not a used camper, a 2013 I believe) and I've only had it a couple weeks. Just bought it. The road miles it has seen so far was the 375 mile trip home from the dealer.

There are other things I've seen on the camper that have raised an eyebrow but they are not a show stopper. This, to me, has the potential to allow water in places it shouldn't be. Not to mention wasps, etc. I know it's not the crème de la crème of travel trailers but it kinda scares me about things I cannot see.

Not sure how close the factory is. I am in the bootheel of Missouri. The dealer is 400 miles away so that is not an option. Plus, I really don't like that guy very much, for a variety of reasons. Snake oil salesman comes to mind. I just bought it from him because 400 miles was the closest I could find a 25rr. It never occurred to me that you could pay this much money for something assembled by drunken dwarves. But, the siding issue is the only thing that really worries me. That it keeps growing worries me more. Otherwise I'd find something to fix it up and be done.

I have already looked up a Forest River dealer and they are about 50 miles away. There is a pretty decent sized RV dealer up the road about 15 miles called "Youngbloods" and they said they can do service work.

If anybody has some contact info for Forest River please send it my way. Thanks for reading the thread and thanks for trying to help.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #10

Just wanted to reiterate. If you look at the first picture you can see where the white sealant ended and the edge of the aluminum below that. There was probably 1/8" of the aluminum tucked behind the white fender trim. On the second photo you can actually see the wood. I don't think the wall is coming apart (don't think) I think the aluminum was cut way too short. Instead of pulling it off and doing it right when they put the fender on they just put a very thin bead of sealant on it and sent it out.

Tags
led pad