Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
Do It Yourselfer

Weight Distribution Hitch

Common sense tells me the answer, but I thought I'd get some Experience input.

Purchasing a TT toy hauler and need the WDH installed. Should I have my 1000# side by side loaded when its installed?
I know the hitch weight will change loaded and Unload.

Most of the towing with be with it loaded.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's Easy to take 'Liberty' for granted, When you have never had it taken from You!
wuffwuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #2

The WDH needs to be adjusted according to how it will be used. If you're going to use it both empty and loaded then you will have to adjust the WDH when switching from one to the other. You cannot use one WDH setting for both loads.

If you adjust the WDH when empty and then load a toy into the trailer you will have an over-adjusted WDH, this will cause the rear of the truck to be too light and you risk jack knifing.

If you adjust the WDH with a load in the back and then take it out then you'll have an under-adjusted WDH that is putting too much weight on the rear of the truck and taking too much off the front, this will affect steering control/input because there's not enough weight on the front axle.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You didn't mention what type of WDH you're installing. I would think something with a chain would allow you to find a balance between the two, where you can determine that loaded you need to hook to link X, but unloaded you need to hook to link Y.

If it's something like the Equalizer, then you're probably going to want to figure out the right middle ground based on how you use it. For example, if the likelyhood of every pulling it empty is minimal, because the side by side's always going to be parked in it, then set if up loaded. If it's going to be 50/50, then you're going to want to set it up loaded, mark it off, set it up unloaded, mark it off, and then see if there's a happy medium between the two.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #4

This is a good question regarding that much weight being loaded or not.

It is really worth finding both the empty and loaded settings for the proper WDH and switching between. If the perches mounted to the trailer or chains on the bar can be adjusted easily, you could fine tune it based on your cargo.

One thing to consider overall is how far forward or back the side by side sits in comparison to the trailer axles. If it's fairly close or over the axles, the weight will have less affect on the WDH settings as opposed to if it's right at the garage door of the trailer.

To be on the safe side, if you are planning to usually (75%+) of the time haul with the side by side in the trailer, I would have the dealer set the WDH with the side by side loaded in.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #5

Toy haulers are an issue for a WDH and all toy haulers are different...Where your toy sits in the garage in relation to the axle(s) affects the tongue weight and the dry tongue as listed by the manufacturer is just a start.

I smacked this issue around in my head and did math using this before buying a trailer: https://www.engineersedge.com/calcul...e_levers_1.htm

Unless someone has your trailer and your load they are only going to be able to provide guestimations.

I tell you what I did/found on my trailer/truck and it will only be partly useful for you. I decided to wait and check things out before I bought a wdh. I bought a scale right away to know exactly what weight is on the tongue because there will be times I have 3 motorcycles in it and times I will have only a quad in it. My garage is situated in such a way as to allow loading in front of the two trailer axles and some behind.

My camper has 3000lbs payload and that can significantly change the tongue weigh and the wdh size. Empty I had about 1100lbs on the tongue. I haven't used all my potential 'loadings' but I have seen over 300lbs variation in tongue weights.

Your truck makes a huge difference. A four door long box chevy (mine) doesn't require a wdh until 2000lbs on the tongue (that number is less for shorter wheelbases. The longer your truck is the less affect tongue weight has on the front axle. The shorter the distance from the tongue to the rear axle...the less affect tongue weight has on the front axle (measure up your truck and use the calculator linked). While this certainly isn't perfect it will give you an idea.

On my truck if I put 1500lbs on the tongue it will take something over 400lbs off the front axle. Then if I calculate the weight of myself and the wife (considering the distance from the rear axle) I'm back to placing more weight on the front axle than if I was empty. Add the extra battery I put under the hood and any weight in the bed of the truck in front of the rear axle...you get the point.

After towing in some pretty good cross winds and doing some test maneuvering I decided to not buy a wdh. I'm not going to knock them (wdh) they help add tongue weight back on the steering axle...they are needed and required for some vehicles. Sway is 'nuther issue.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:33 PM   #6

Weight Distribution Hitch

I’ve had a lot of close calls with my TT toyhauler and sway. I purchased an equalizer hitch with my toy hauler and it was useless when loaded. I finally got pissed and decided and spend the money to get a Hensley arrow hitch. It’s not a sway control device like all other hitches, it completely eliminates sway before it begins. It comes with weight distribution as well. I’ve towed 1000’s of miles across California and Arizona with it and it’s so nice not to stress about wind and big trucks. Trust me once you’ve towed with one you’ll never ever tow without one again. Think about what’s the life of you or family worth. Check out their website and call and talk to Terry. Most people have no idea what a Hensley arrow is and really I believe every TT should come with one.

https://www.hensleymfg.com/trailer-sway-101/

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1521430453.568588.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	165594
This is mine.
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:41 PM   #7

If your Equal-I-Zer didn't work then it wasn't properly adjusted. The Arrow is a great hitch, but it better be for how expensive it is. Glad you have a setup that works for you, though.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
If your Equal-I-Zer didn't work then it wasn't properly adjusted. The Arrow is a great hitch, but it better be for how expensive it is. Glad you have a setup that works for you, though.

My equalizer e2 hitch was properly adjusted when I bought it but when I’d load a 1000 lbs behind the rear axle of toyhauler everything changed. I also had issues because both my black and grey water tanks are up front and my tongue weight would dramatically when full or empty. The friction load on the brackets to control to control the sway was always different it seemed. The e2 was also ruff cause you’d have to unbolt the frame brackets and adjust for load or full or empty tanks. Last I also struggled with sway and e2 cause I have a close wheelbase tow vehicle. But you’re right the Hensley does cost at least twice as much. I got mine discounted at $1700 but that really hurt.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseadan View Post
My equalizer e2 hitch was properly adjusted when I bought it but when I’d load a 1000 lbs behind the rear axle of toyhauler everything changed. I also had issues because both my black and grey water tanks are up front and my tongue weight would dramatically when full or empty. The friction load on the brackets to control to control the sway was always different it seemed. The e2 was also ruff cause you’d have to unbolt the frame brackets and adjust for load or full or empty tanks. Last I also struggled with sway and e2 cause I have a close wheelbase tow vehicle. But you’re right the Hensley does cost at least twice as much. I got mine discounted at $1700 but that really hurt.
The Fastway e2 (Previously labeled Equal-I-Zer but changed likely due to confusion) is not the same as the 4-point Equal-I-Zer that most folks are talking about.

And regardless of which WDH you have, yes, you have to adjust the WDH based on load. You cannot adjust it for an empty TH, load the TH, and then be on your way. The WDH must be adjusted for the way the trailer is loaded.

Which goes back to my previous post. Your WDH was not properly adjusted.

I have the e2 hitch with my setup and so far no complaints, but my trailer and tow vehicle combo are quite different than yours.

Again, you must adjust the WDH when you change the load. If you don't then your WDH will not be properly adjusted and you will have problems, either the WDH will be over-adjusted (Too much weight on the bars causing the rear of the tow vehicle to be too light) or under-adjusted (Too much weight on the rear of the tow vehicle, causing the front end to be too light).

So when you had the WDH adjusted with the empty toy hauler it was correct. When you loaded the back of the TH it was probably over-adjusted by quite a bit because the load in the TH shifted weight off the tongue. As a result, it probably felt like the rear of your tow vehicle was getting pushed around. And it was, because it was too light due to the WDH not being properly adjusted.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
I’ve had a lot of close calls with my TT toyhauler and sway. I purchased an equalizer hitch with my toy hauler and it was useless when loaded. I finally got pissed and decided and spend the money to get a Hensley arrow hitch. It’s not a sway control device like all other hitches, it completely eliminates sway before it begins. It comes with weight distribution as well. I’ve towed 1000’s of miles across California and Arizona with it and it’s so nice not to stress about wind and big trucks. Trust me once you’ve towed with one you’ll never ever tow without one again. Think about what’s the life of you or family worth. Check out their website and call and talk to Terry. Most people have no idea what a Hensley arrow is and really I believe every TT should come with one.

https://www.hensleymfg.com/trailer-sway-101/

Attachment 165594
This is mine.
Seeing you are apparently towing a TH with a short wheelbase/high center of gravity FJ Cruiser, NO wonder you need a Hensley.

A better matched tow vehicle would be fine with a good WDH with integrated sway control, like an Equal-i-zer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Seeing you are apparently towing a TH with a short wheelbase/high center of gravity FJ Cruiser, NO wonder you need a Hensley.

A better matched tow vehicle would be fine with a good WDH with integrated sway control, like an Equal-i-zer.

Yeah I agree that the fj isn’t the best vehicle for towing but I don’t have a choice or the funds to get a bigger truck. I am very careful not to go past the fj’s payload and total 5000 lb capacity including passengers and cargo. My toy hauler weighed in at 2998 at the scales without the bikes and minimal stuff I carry. I always travel with empty tanks tanks if I carry the bikes.

Anyways I’m not trying to argue with anyone, just trying give advice off of my experiences. I’ve seen all sizes of trucks and trailers get in accidents because of sway and for me the only true way to eliminate it is with a Hensley arrow or Pro pride hitch. I guess I’ve always been the type to be over cautious though. I would say though, I challenge almost anyone to tow with a Hensley or pro pride and I bet they’d never go back to a sway control type again. It’s hard to know the difference or how well one works until you’ve towed with both.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:20 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Yeah I agree that the fj isn’t the best vehicle for towing but I don’t have a choice or the funds to get a bigger truck. I am very careful not to go past the fj’s payload and total 5000 lb capacity including passengers and cargo. My toy hauler weighed in at 2998 at the scales without the bikes and minimal stuff I carry. I always travel with empty tanks tanks if I carry the bikes.

Anyways I’m not trying to argue with anyone, just trying give advice off of my experiences. I’ve seen all sizes of trucks and trailers get in accidents because of sway and for me the only true way to eliminate it is with a Hensley arrow or Pro pride hitch. I guess I’ve always been the type to be over cautious though. I would say though, I challenge almost anyone to tow with a Hensley or pro pride and I bet they’d never go back to a sway control type again. It’s hard to know the difference or how well one works until you’ve towed with both.
Well, I've been towing my 25' HTT and now my 26.5' TT for 12 years, with my 4pt Equal-i-zer.

I've towed all over the West, from the Canadian border to the Mexican border and as far East as Chicago and never had any sway.

My Equal-i-zer cost me $400.

But I had tow vehicles with plenty of extra payload and tow capacity. No marginal tow vehicle.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Well, I've been towing my 25' HTT and now my 26.5' TT for 12 years, with my 4pt Equal-i-zer.

I've towed all over the West, from the Canadian border to the Mexican border and as far East as Chicago and never had any sway.

My Equal-i-zer cost me $400.

But I had tow vehicles with plenty of extra payload and tow capacity. No marginal tow vehicle.

What trailer is a htt?
Old 03-21-2018, 11:23 PM   #14

Quote:
What trailer is a htt?
hybrid... tent ends

Hybrid Travel Trailer

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, weight, weight distribution hitch