Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 07:59 AM   #21
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Our well water is better than any city water too,but,city water stays "fresher" in a storage system because of the (dreaded) chemicals.I get called out a lot for hauling 90 gal of fresh water around but the truth is that,at least in our TH,the wieght of the water alters the pin wieght and the unit tows better with a full water tank.Now if the garage bay were empty,the water would give me too much on the pin,so I would leave the water at home,but it never is.I also add 1 tbs of bleach to the fill to avoid haveing anything start to grow in the untreated well water.
If I'm headed out on the road and I'm more than 2 - 3 hours from a full hookup camp site, I will carry a full tank of water with me. Not only does it give me fresh water on the road, it adds weight to the nose of the trailer reducing sway.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I understand some units have tank issues.

With that said... I bought my R/V to use and to be able to use all aspects of it.
If you can't haul a tank of water in your R/V it's time to investigate why or maybe it's time to move to another unit.
Our grey tank fell out,it was about .5 full.Only had 2 little pieces of stamped angle and 4 self tapping screws holding it up.I checked the FW tank,same way.Both now have 4 cross members of 3/16" x 2" angle that I thru bolted with 3/8" bolts and fender washers.Can you say "cheap and easy FW?"
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #23

My well has some arsenic in it, so we have to use a RO system for drinking water. So, no we dont use our well water.
BTW, most all well water can have some arsenic in it. So unless you have it tested, you just dont know.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I have no problem drinking well, but you should give some thought to hauling with a full water tank. Lots of weight and some tanks not real secure. We drink bottle water but use campground water foe everything else.
Agreed, I didn't go to the scale to check weights, but I did fill the tank completely and it made the truck settle by about 1/2". I drained it to about half, and it raised the hitch a little. The WDH will take care of that. I'm not approaching any weight limits, as the trailer empty is 2800, with a gross of 3850. My TV is a Ford F150 with the 5l V8. Security of the mount is a consideration, which is why I will only carry enough for one day's needs.
amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #25

It's not the quality of your well or city water. It's the growth of bacteria in a partially filled 50 gallon flat container that matters, especially in warm weather. Sure, most of us bleach out our system at the beginning of the season. That is for the purpose of killing bacteria not for making the water fresh. The beneficial qualities of chlorine are only temporary until it's flushed out of the tank and lines by additional water from an outside source.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
It's not the quality of your well or city water. It's the growth of bacteria in a partially filled 50 gallon flat container that matters, especially in warm weather. Sure, most of us bleach out our system at the beginning of the season. That is for the purpose of killing bacteria not for making the water fresh. The beneficial qualities of chlorine are only temporary until it's flushed out of the tank and lines by additional water from an outside source.
Agreed, and I do sanitize it regularly and never let it sit for any length of time between trips.

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
This is why I add 1 tbs of bleach every time i fill my tank.As long as the sun (UV) doesnt shine on the water,the bleach will hold for a long time.Ive tested mine 10 days out and still had an acceptable level of bleach in my water.I actually end up with a bit more than 1 tbs/tank because I sanitize the fill spout and the hose that I insert in the filler with bleach before useing them.I have a 1 pt lab bottle that I carry bleach in so it is easy to dispence the bleach w/o spillage.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #28
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
This is why I add 1 tbs of bleach every time i fill my tank.As long as the sun (UV) doesnt shine on the water,the bleach will hold for a long time.Ive tested mine 10 days out and still had an acceptable level of bleach in my water.I actually end up with a bit more than 1 tbs/tank because I sanitize the fill spout and the hose that I insert in the filler with bleach before useing them.I have a 1 pt lab bottle that I carry bleach in so it is easy to dispence the bleach w/o spillage.
I do similar.

I use a shot of Camco Drinking Water Freshener with each addition of water to the fresh tank. It's probably just diluted bleach but it works great and I've used it for years.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:48 PM   #29

I use well water and do not have any problems. Every spring I do the clorene treatment, skipped it in the past but always seem to have smell issues so I just do it every year. I do use the powder water treatment all the time. Especially if it is going to be stored and sitting in there for awhile.
92 GMC K2500 454
2006 Honda Rubicon ATV
zuterbru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water