Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #1

Winterize 19rr questions

We winterized our 19rr last week. Here is what I did:

1. Drained black and grey tanks until nothing came out
2. Opened fresh water drain plug on bottom of fresh tank
3. Opened low water drain on hot and cold (under trailer) and opened all faucets
4. Drained hot water heater by removing rod and opening pressure valve (blew some compressed air in to remove any remaing water; replaced rod)
5. Bypassed hot water heater
6. Removed water inlet pipe on water pump and attached clear hose and inserted in anti freeze (the red stuff from Wal Mart)
7. Turned on pump and ran all hot and cold faucets and toilet until anti freeze came (also ran it out the shower head)
8. Poured anti freeze down the kitchen sink drains, bathroom drain, shower drain and into black water tank from toilet
9. Thoroughly dried out fridge and freezer and left doors open

I'm slightly concerned about two things. First, is there only one set of hot and cold low point drains? I didn't search the entire underside and I think bigger trailers have more than one set. Would the inlet pipe on the water heater drain itself when I disconnected it? (the fresh water drain plug was still removed and I assume gravity would have drained it; I didn't want to pour any antifreeze into the pipe since it would go into the fresh water tank). I removed the pipe from the water pump that goes to the city water hook up. I'm assuming gravity took care of draining this. I didn't pour any antifreeze into the city water connection.

I can go to where I store the trailer and finalize anything I missed. It hasn't gotten below freezing for any prolonged period yet.

Thanks.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #2

I always blow mine out, instead of pumping antifreeze through the system. That's what my dealer recommended. Your method is safer, just takes a little more time in the spring to get pink stuff out of the lines.

If you have an outside shower or hose, make sure you blow that line out. Made that mistake last year.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockman View Post
I always blow mine out, instead of pumping antifreeze through the system. That's what my dealer recommended. Your method is safer, just takes a little more time in the spring to get pink stuff out of the lines.

If you have an outside shower or hose, make sure you blow that line out. Made that mistake last year.
Good call on the outside shower. I'm paranoid about the water lines. I blow them out and add antifreeze. Don't forget to mouse proof it and take the battery off and keep it charged with a battery tender.
Top B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #4

Do not Winterize just drive south works so much better
PeteG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #5

This is something I'm unsure about and last night it probably got cold enough to freeze. What I did about a month ago was bypass the hot water heater (thank you for valves FR) and drained the water heater and took the plug out. I was worried about missing something so I dumped 5 gallons of RV antifreeze into the fresh water tank. Turned on the pump and ran it through the hot and cold faucets, toilet (I haven't used it yet) and shower (including head). I'm hoping this got everything and I won't have an unpleasant surprise come spring. Since the RV antifreeze is supposedly non toxic I wasn't worried about just flushing the pink out when the time comes.

Hey, what is that rod on the plug for the water heater? There was this long grey rod that was part of the plug when I pulled it out. Puzzled what it's purpose is.
apollumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollumi View Post
Hey, what is that rod on the plug for the water heater? There was this long grey rod that was part of the plug when I pulled it out. Puzzled what it's purpose is.
It is an anode rod. It extends the life of a water heater by attracting corrosive elements in the water to the anode. You will have to keep an eye on it and eventually change it ($12-$14).
Old 11-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #7

Thank you so very much Top B.

Should I leave the water heater totally empty during winter? I didn't know if it was stainless steel or not. The metal of the plug seemed to be steel so I was worried about rust. Since you can bypass the hot water heater I'm assuming you don't want RV antifreeze in it.
apollumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #8

I leave the plug out during the winter, just to be sure. You don't want any water in there during the winter.

The bypass is there so you can either blow out the other lines, or add antifreeze to the other lines.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollumi View Post
Should I leave the water heater totally empty during winter? I didn't know if it was stainless steel or not. The metal of the plug seemed to be steel so I was worried about rust. Since you can bypass the hot water heater I'm assuming you don't want RV antifreeze in it.
It's a matter of opinion on what you do. Some leave it out to make sure it is dry and wont freeze, while others (me included), either let it dry out and put it back in or squirt some antifreeze in there and put it back in (keeps dirt and critters out).
Old 11-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #10

Don't forget city water connection
Grey9712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #11

On the city water inlet remove the screen and push the button until some pink stuff comes out. Make sure the pump is off
harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #12

I did mine with the pump on. I think it's as long as you get antifreeze in there,
Grey9712 is offline   Reply With Quote