Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #1

winterizing

Im a DIY kinda guy & would perfer to do this my self. Ive got a 2014 25RR. Any how to vids or wright ups out there?
blevinsbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
aka Windjammer2012

At this time of year everyone is contimplating the same task. There are soooo many threads on this forum that you can literally spend hours reading hundreds of opinions of works well for other members. It may be quicker than waiting for replies to your inquiry.

2012 Windjammer 3008W
2004 GMC 2500 HD CC Longbed
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #3

Some folks like to pump the antifreeze into the water lines. I like to blow the water lines out. I use my air compressor and a fitting that goes into the city fresh water connection to blow out the lines. I hook up the compressor, blow out all the lines (kitchen sink, shower, bathroom sink, toilet, outside hose), then take the plug out of the hot water heater and leave that out over the winter. I leave the fresh water drain plug out as well. Then, I pour the RV antifreeze into all the drains and into the toilet. I use 2 gallons of the stuff. Make sure you use the spacers that keep the fridge/freezer doors open otherwise you will get mold in there.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockman View Post
Some folks like to pump the antifreeze into the water lines. I like to blow the water lines out. I use my air compressor and a fitting that goes into the city fresh water connection to blow out the lines. I hook up the compressor, blow out all the lines (kitchen sink, shower, bathroom sink, toilet, outside hose), then take the plug out of the hot water heater and leave that out over the winter. I leave the fresh water drain plug out as well. Then, I pour the RV antifreeze into all the drains and into the toilet. I use 2 gallons of the stuff. Make sure you use the spacers that keep the fridge/freezer doors open otherwise you will get mold in there.
X2 for me except after blowing out the lines I also draw in anti freeze anyway. Likely overkill but cheaper than fixing a busted line. I also leave the plugs in but loose. I just don't want critters getting in there.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #5

I have a 2013 25rr, just did mine yesterday. I just pumped the pink antifreeze in, no ac electric near it for my compressor. I had to get a winterizing valve from the local rv store to be able to pump the pink into the system. They were very helpfull in where to put it. My water pump has a filter attached to it, between the fresh water hose and the pump. I put the valve between the filter and pump.
I first drained the FW tank. Then the hot water tank, was a pain to loosen the drain plug, its 17/16 and i only had a short socket and no 1/2 inch extension. Gonna have to get one to keep in my camper tool box. I had to use a cressent wrench using the end and putting a big screwdriver through the hole in the handle for leverage. Then i turned the bypass valves to close off the HW tank from the system. I also took the water pump filter off and drained it.
I turned the new winterizeing valve to pump pink right out of the bottle, turned on the water pump and opened the cold water tap in the kitchen, since its furthest away from the pump, let it run till pink came out. Then i did the hot water tap. Then the same with the shower, bathroom sink and toilet. There will still be water in the hose for the city water hookup. I opened the cap and pulled out the screen, theres a one way valve in there, push on it and water will come out, push till pink comes out, i was suprised at how much water pressure there was.
Then i drained the black and grey tanks, i keep a little FW in them after camping and dumping. There is already pink with it after running it through the lines. Then i dumped the remaining pink down the drains and left some in the toilet. I used two gallons of pink.
Im pretty sure its all protected now. The only thing i wasnt sure of is if i should close the black and grey water valves completely, leave them open or partially closed, the cap is on.
It all took me about an hour, will be easier in the future now that the winterizer valve is on there. Btw, the water pump is below the bath sink, behind the 12x12 wood panel that is screwed on. Not much room there to work on it, would be nice if the factory put them on when building it, but i know they have to keep costs down.
R1campr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #6

Quote:

where did ya get the fitting?
Old 10-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1campr View Post
I have a 2013 25rr, just did mine yesterday. I just pumped the pink antifreeze in, no ac electric near it for my compressor. I had to get a winterizing valve from the local rv store to be able to pump the pink into the system. They were very helpfull in where to put it. My water pump has a filter attached to it, between the fresh water hose and the pump. I put the valve between the filter and pump.
I first drained the FW tank. Then the hot water tank, was a pain to loosen the drain plug, its 17/16 and i only had a short socket and no 1/2 inch extension. Gonna have to get one to keep in my camper tool box. I had to use a cressent wrench using the end and putting a big screwdriver through the hole in the handle for leverage. Then i turned the bypass valves to close off the HW tank from the system. I also took the water pump filter off and drained it.
I turned the new winterizeing valve to pump pink right out of the bottle, turned on the water pump and opened the cold water tap in the kitchen, since its furthest away from the pump, let it run till pink came out. Then i did the hot water tap. Then the same with the shower, bathroom sink and toilet. There will still be water in the hose for the city water hookup. I opened the cap and pulled out the screen, theres a one way valve in there, push on it and water will come out, push till pink comes out, i was suprised at how much water pressure there was.
Then i drained the black and grey tanks, i keep a little FW in them after camping and dumping. There is already pink with it after running it through the lines. Then i dumped the remaining pink down the drains and left some in the toilet. I used two gallons of pink.
Im pretty sure its all protected now. The only thing i wasnt sure of is if i should close the black and grey water valves completely, leave them open or partially closed, the cap is on.
It all took me about an hour, will be easier in the future now that the winterizer valve is on there. Btw, the water pump is below the bath sink, behind the 12x12 wood panel that is screwed on. Not much room there to work on it, would be nice if the factory put them on when building it, but i know they have to keep costs down.

wheres the pump located?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevinsbulldog View Post
where did ya get the fitting?
you can get it at your local rv shop. I recommend not getting the one that looks like a tire stem that has you standing there holding it. .
Old 10-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevinsbulldog View Post
wheres the pump located?
check under the bathroom sink. That's where mine is. You need to unscrew a panel to get to it.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
check under the bathroom sink. That's where mine is. You need to unscrew a panel to get to it.

tks man!!!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
you can get it at your local rv shop. I recommend not getting the one that looks like a tire stem that has you standing there holding it. .
Yes! Get the one that the air hose will connect directly to. I also wrote 50psi max on the fitting. NOt sure why, must have read that somewhere. Then, just go through every faucet and blow them all out. Bypass the water heater - should be a fitting built in for that. Then I remove the water filter housing and also leave that off over the winter.

I like to just blow them out because it makes spring time a little easier. All I really have to do is put some plugs in, open the bypass, and I'm ready to go. Putting antifreeze in the lines is another form of insurance, and there's nothing wrong with that, either. It's just another step.

Amazon.com: Camco 36143 RV Blow Out Plug with Brass Quick Connect: Automotive
Old 11-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #12

If you get the one that looks like a stem you can get one of these.

Ball-foot Lock-on Air Chuck - GEMPLER'S

I like them because when I air up tires I do not need to keep it pressed on.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes! Get the one that the air hose will connect directly to. I also wrote 50psi max on the fitting. NOt sure why, must have read that somewhere. Then, just go through every faucet and blow them all out. Bypass the water heater - should be a fitting built in for that. Then I remove the water filter housing and also leave that off over the winter.

I like to just blow them out because it makes spring time a little easier. All I really have to do is put some plugs in, open the bypass, and I'm ready to go. Putting antifreeze in the lines is another form of insurance, and there's nothing wrong with that, either. It's just another step.

Amazon.com: Camco 36143 RV Blow Out Plug with Brass Quick Connect: Automotive

just ordered it.....tks

Tags
winter, winterize