Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DC View Post
That Pic convinced me also. I have yet to try mine but I am sure it will fit although it will be tight but thats ok. I was thinking one of the Pingel removable chocks would be a nice addition. I also thought about positioning mine a little more to the right for more clearance on the refer. Things to try when this damn weather breaks.. I HATE WINTER
Dave
I just returned from pulling my Pup 17RP with my HD Road Glide in it to Ft. Myers, FL and back (over 2300 mi). Was thinking I needed a wheel chock but found out it is not necessary. I tied from the handlebars in the front. The rear tie downs are far enough back that I could tie to the frame above the saddle bags in the back, tie down straps cleared the bags. Rear tie downs are far enough apart and to the rear of the bike to give great support. I checked the tie downs almost every gas stop. There was no movement of the bike or loosening of the straps. The faring on my Glide was about 2" from the fridge but never touched it.
Mikeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #22

My Pup at Hillsboro River State Park south of Zephryhills, FL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3282.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	25063  
Old 03-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeed View Post

I just returned from pulling my Pup 17RP with my HD Road Glide in it to Ft. Myers, FL and back (over 2300 mi). Was thinking I needed a wheel chock but found out it is not necessary. I tied from the handlebars in the front. The rear tie downs are far enough back that I could tie to the frame above the saddle bags in the back, tie down straps cleared the bags. Rear tie downs are far enough apart and to the rear of the bike to give great support. I checked the tie downs almost every gas stop. There was no movement of the bike or loosening of the straps. The faring on my Glide was about 2" from the fridge but never touched it.
Is the fridge on the drivers side in that trailer? How do you get off to tie down the bike when it is so close? Inquiring mind wants to know.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
Is the fridge on the drivers side in that trailer? How do you get off to tie down the bike when it is so close? Inquiring mind wants to know.
Yes, the fridge is on the driver's side. I hook all four straps to the floor before I pull the bike in. When I get it in I lean the faring against the fridge while staying on the bike (the faring on my Glide is attached to the frame not the forks, don't know if that will make any difference in steadying the bike) then I pull the front left strap up and hook it on the strap hooks I put around the handlebars. I ratchet it down enough so the bike won't fall to the right. I get off and attach the right front strap, ratchet it to level the bike then take turns ratcheting them down. Then I go to the rear and attach and ratchet those straps. The bike is very stable and rides very well with the location of the tie down hooks in the Pup.
Only the faring is beside the fridge. There is plenty of clearance to swing your leg off that side. I basically do the reverse procedure to take the bike out.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Wow, I'm amazed you could do that without a chock, and the faring didn't even touch the fridge. I am not going to be that brave when it comes time to haul mine. Did you compress the front forks 100%, or was there some travel left in the shocks? Any pics of the bike tied down?
Grey Wolf Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Wolf Taco View Post
Wow, I'm amazed you could do that without a chock, and the faring didn't even touch the fridge. I am not going to be that brave when it comes time to haul mine. Did you compress the front forks 100%, or was there some travel left in the shocks? Any pics of the bike tied down?
Forks were compressed maybe 70-75%, rear shocks about the same. Put your bike in and tie it down once. That is the first thing I did when I got my pup, wanted to see how it fit and how stable it was. I was thinking I might need to install a removeable pingle chock but after I tied it down and tried to rock it I decided to try it without a chock, after over 2300 miles of towing it including through the appalachians going and coming I know I don't need a chock. You will be surprised at how well it rides. I use 2" wide ratcheting straps to tie down with. They don't loosen up as you travel.
Go to page 1 of this thread to see pics of the first time i tied it down. It was tied to the engine guards there. I moved it over a little from the fridge and tied down to the handlebars on my trip.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #27

The only complaint I had on my trip is the 2" thick mattress on the bed sucks! As soon as I got home I ordered a 6" thick mattress from Camping World.

RV Comfort Choice Mattress - Bunk 44 X 72 - Dehco Inc MA-RVCC4472-D - Bed Pads & Mattresses - Camping World
Old 03-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #28

Hi Mikeed,
I have a Grey Wolf 21RR, by the way. I like your Wolf Pup, it just a smaller version of mine, not that the 21RR is much bigger! I like the big window; my 21RR is window "challenged", IMO. I agree with pjones, upgrade those straps holding the couch. Mine only came with one per couch... the factory must have been running out of them that day :-) Clint

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #29

Mikeed thanks for the info

All good things to know.. I will get pics of my Mods this weekend. I have a smaller under cabinet coffee maker so I put in 2 add a drawers . One shallow and one deep. I am still waiting for paper work from the dealer to get this damn thing titled. If I dont see anything by Saturday I am calling again and its not going to be one of the the nice calls I have made.. Its been over a month and I am making a years payments tomorrow so I would really like this thing in my name !. Whats even worse is it seems winter is never going to end ?
Dave
N8DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #30

Got my paper work the end of last week. Why they didnt just give me the MCoO when I payed for the trailer I dont know. Now its another 15 bucks for a late charge I think at the license bureau. I was told yesterday that I have Friday and Monday off again so I will hit the place early Friday morning and get the title and plate done then I am good to go.
Dave
Old 03-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #31

New Stuff

Well it was nice enuff to play in the pup today although winter is still here. I finally got the proper papers and since I am back on 4 days and 4 day weekends I got the title paperwork going and the plate . If I knew that Michigan wasnt going to go after the dealer in Indiana for the tax money they refunded me I could have walked out of the License bureau 570.00 richer. The lady there told me I was a very honest man when I told her to ignore the tax I was charged as I got it back !.. Ive been searching the forum for ideas and found a few. Heres some Pics. The first 2 are the hinged storage compartment under the front bunk. The next pics are of an extension I made for the sink/stove cabinet for extra space. I got 2 folding shelf brackets from Menards and a piece of 3/4 plywood (it still needs to be stained and urethane d) and I cut it 20 1/2 wide by 24 long and rounded the corners. I then needed some extra support with the 2ft length so I cut another square of the 3/4 and drilled a hole in it wih a hole saw and screwed it to the bottom of the extension. The orange pvc pipe you see will be replaced with another color or painted black but it really adds support. Last but not least is mu under cabinet coffee maker a friend gave me and the 2 add a drawers . Next is the spare tire on the ramp door. I will post pics when I get that done. I also want to add an external shower for us guys when we go to the race track and there are no facilities other than porta johns so we can at least wash our hair and get a sponge bath and not have to do it inside..
Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1788.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	25813   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1789.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	25814   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1790.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	25817   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1791.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	25818   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1786.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	25819  

Old 03-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #32

Yesterdays Project Spare tire mount

I had yesterday off work and it was pretty nice out so I decided to go ahead and make the spare tire mount for the ramp door. I had purchased a chunk of polished aluminum diamond plate from the local metals store and I had them shear it 12 inches wide and it came 48 inches long. I have searched the threads on the board here and found a couple real good posts on doing the rear door mount and I followed one such post pretty close. I marked about 18 1/2 inches up from the inside of the door then converted that measurement from the top of the outside of the door down to where I wanted to mount the tire. I did this because I saw on the other post the guy went 18 3/4 from the inside and I wanted to drill from the outside in. After completing the project I could have lowered it another 1 to 1 1/2 but it will work fine. I cut a 12 x 12 piece off the plate for the outside of the ramp door and drilled it for a 3/8 bolt on 5 1/2 centers . I did the same with the remaining 36 inch piece for the inside. The inside piece could have been narrower but I decide to use the whole piece. I drilled in 3 steps the holes in the door and my final drill size was 5/8 of an inch. At work I made 2 spacers from 5/8 round stock and drilled 3/8 inch holes thru them. I put them thru the inside of the door jts so there wasnt any possibility of tightening the bolts too tight and pulling the inside and outside panels together and damaging the door. I cut my spacers about 1 1/2 inch long . I then put the 2 3/8 x 8 carriage bolts thru the inner plate and the door with the spacers in it and using nylock nuts and a couple washers I snugged it all down to the outer plate. Oh ya I did run a bunch of silicone sealer around the holes (inner and outer)before putting every thing together. After making sure everything was straight and looked good I tightened the nuts down good and tight. I then ran a bead of silicone around the edges of the outer plate and mounted the tire. I set the tire on the bolts and used 2 regular nuts and washers tightening it until it felt good and here was no movement of the tire on the door. I then put a couple holes in a piece of 1/8 x 1 1/2 aluminum plate 7 inches long and slipped that over the bolts to use as a plate to keep the bolts from moving . I again used a couple washers and nylock nuts to tighten the plate to the first set of nuts. Now I am sure it wont come loose. Now all i need is a tire cover. One with harley davidson on it would be cool .
Heres some pics ..
Happy Easter.
Dave
Jackson,Michigan

PS: I realized I didnt take a pic with the tire mounted I will get one later today
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1795.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	26706   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1793.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	26707  
Old 06-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #33

Still need to get that pic with the spare mounted and I still need a cover for it .. Ive made a couple other changes since I last posted. I added an exterior shower and it came out really nice. I put it on the drivers side between the water heater and the water fill. On our break in outing memorial weekend to Anderson Speedway in Indiana It worked out great. Just what we needed for a couple nights with no morning full showers. Got the head washed and a little sponge bath and good to go.
I didnt like the mileage from my silverado though but I will try different things next time I tow. I made up a 12volt cord for the TV so I could power it without the wall wart and also run it off a battery booster box. We ran the TV all weekend off the box with no problems. Next is I am adding a dual LP tank mount and I bought a hard cover for it also. That stuff should be here this week and I hope to mount it sometime this weekend . I will take pics of the mounting brackets I am making as to not have to cut the existing single tank mount off to remove it. Only thing left to purchase I think is the ramp door screen . I found one online made to fit for like 130.00 shipped. That and the spare tire cover..
I also bought a 66 inch rv ladder for the top bunk. My oldest had a hell of a time trying to get up there after a few cases of beer
Happy Camping..........
Old 06-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #34

PS: I still havent put the harley in this thing. We dont have any trips planned this summer with the bike so I havent got excited about doing that yet. As long as I know it will fit its not a problem and I do want to add a chock but how and when is another day ..
Old 04-27-2016, 07:40 PM   #35

What year is your Road Glide, I want to load a 2016 Street Glide?I know the bags are different l think the length is the same. The fairing should be okay.
Thanks.
cavtrp1962a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:57 PM   #36

Road Glide

I originally owned a 2006 RG when I purchased the Pup. I have since bought a 2012 RG. The 2012 is 5" longer (same wheelbase) and fits in fine. There is plenty of room in the back. As for the bags, no worry there. I load a 15 gal. portable dump tank in the rear on one side between my sidebag and the wall. Same amount of room on the other side. According to the HD specs, your wheelbase is a half-inch longer but your bike is 2.2" shorter on overall length Click the link below to see a pic of my bike loaded in ready to leave Florida last month.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/202565...etaken-public/
Old 04-28-2016, 07:32 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavtrp1962a View Post
What year is your Road Glide, I want to load a 2016 Street Glide?I know the bags are different l think the length is the same. The fairing should be okay.
Thanks.

I am riding a 2006 glide classic and it fits with no problem . My bike is actually sitting in my 17rp right now due to needing a little extra garage space for a few days and its sitting on the side stand !.
Dave

ps: If anyone out here is looking for a mint 17rp with lots of extras mine is for sale. The wife is retiring next year and we want to try a class C motor home and I will buy a small enclosed trailer for the Harley .
Old 04-28-2016, 07:42 AM   #38

Latest additions.. I finally got around to ordering to more stabilizing jacks for the front of the 17RP. They were easy to mount and I am looking forward to having a more stable set up on my yearly trip to Indiana in a few weeks. I never liked the way the from moved around a bit setting on the tongue jack. I also never liked the mattresses in this thing and after some searching I found thru Ryder truck parts a solution . They had a 6 1/2 inch sleeper cab mattress thats 80 inches long by 42 inches wide and fits perfect in the front lower bunk. Ryder also had the best price and I bought the although kind of pricey the mattress cover for it also. Again I have not actually slept on it yet but if sure feels nice laying on it. They have one that should fit the top bunk also but I am holding off on ordering one for that .

I will report on both the front jacks and the mattress after my trip memorial week/weekend.
Dave
Jackson,Michigan
Old 04-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #39

Quote:
I originally owned a 2006 RG when I purchased the Pup. I have since bought a 2012 RG. The 2012 is 5" longer (same wheelbase) and fits in fine. There is plenty of room in the back. As for the bags, no worry there. I load a 15 gal. portable dump tank in the rear on one side between my sidebag and the wall. Same amount of room on the other side. According to the HD specs, your wheelbase is a half-inch longer but your bike is 2.2" shorter on overall length Click the link below to see a pic of my bike loaded in ready to leave Florida last month.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/202565...etaken-public/
Thanks!
I hate to be a pest, but one more question. Once the bike is loaded can you squeeze by the front to get at stuff in the front of the trailer. I'm thinking about getting a Pup next week. Again thanks.
cavtrp1962a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #40

You can get by the bike and to the front of the trailer. The only thing is you cant open the refer door very far but say you were traveling somewhere and wanted to stop for the night and either the weather was bad or you just didnt want to unload you can get to the front and you could sleep in the bunk with out a problem . I dont remember if you can get to the bathroom but I think at least with my bike I could get the door open.
Dave