Old 11-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgharp View Post
I took the new trailer out for the first trip this past weekend. It was around 40F at night and I used my small electric heater. It worked great! Because the 16p unit is small it heated up the trailer in no time. the Tstat shut off and didn't come on for 5 or 10 minutes to heat up again. The furnace in the unit is noisy compared to a electric heater (plus you don't use your propane as Ken stated). The hot water tank worked great. I slept on the table folded down rather than the bottom bunk and found it more comfortable. I'll look for a small mattress to make the bottom bunk more "cushiony". I still need to go to walmart for: toilet paper holder, extra coat hook or two, paper towel holder, small battery wall clock. Overall I am very pleased with the camper. How are you guys making out? Any ideas or questions?
Steve
My wife and I bought a tempurpedia matress topper, which we did have to cut down a little to fit the bottom bunk. It made the bed very comfortable. The matresses that come with the Wolf Pups are very poor in quality. I would suggest replacing them with custom six inch foam. I would also take the time to cover the foam with apolstering material of your choice. These changes make the difference between enjoying a trip and suffering throughout the trip.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #92

Axel not strong enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry929 View Post
I just looked at mine which sits empty right now and it looks to me that the axle was mounted wrong at the factory. It looks like it should have been rotated 45 degrees on to the next flat of the square and welded there. There needs to be a recall to fix this problem for us Wolf Pup owners, I can see problems in the near future with this water tank drain getting ripped off by just a small speed bump.

You will find that the weight of this camper with full water and modest gear will far exceed the axel and tire capacities....

Old 01-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #93

My wife and I bought a Wolf Pup last year. We'd only had it out on our second trip, when we realized that our tires were wearing, severely, on the inside. As it turned out, the axle Forrest River had put on the unit was too weak and it allowed the tires to flex outward. This means it could result in a serious accident, and, at the very least, repeated continual blowouts of the tires. Forrest River replaced the axle, at no cost to us. It's a stronger looking axle. However, we're probably going to sell the unit and buy an Airstream Bambi, or other such lightweight trailer. The Wolf Pup, for it's 16 foot size, is extraordinarily heavy. We're pulling it with a F150 quad cab and getting an average of 12 MPG. Without towing, we get 20 MPG. It looks nice on the inside, but the matresses are crap. We use the top bunk for storage and have replaced the lower "regular sized" matress with foam. Trust me, it's not a regular sized matress. We had to cut two inches off the foam. One major concern is that thte water tank, which is under the left rear seat, hangs down so low, it could be easily punctured by road debris. It's a poorly designed, heavy unit, with a weak axle. In my opinion, it should be recalled by Forrest River. The whole purpose of having a camper is to be able to tow it, anywhere, at any distance. The axle was too weak and I'm not confident of the new one they've put on.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #94

This is just a quick warning to Wolf Pup owners, which is that the axle is grossly undersized and too weak for the weight of the unit. As a result, the tires will flex outward, causing the inner tread of the tire to wear excessively, eventually causing a blowout. As well, the outter flexing of the tire causes drag on the unit, decreasing your gas mileage. The excess weight of the unit, compared to it's size and the weakness of the axle, result in a dangerous and poorly made unit. It's literally an accident waiting to happen. I would encourage all Wolf Pup owners to take their units back to their dealer, where they bought it and have it checked out.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #95

Get the axle checked out. It's too weak and will cause excess tire wear and, eventually, an accident. Go back to your dealer.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #96

The Wolf Pup Axle is too weak. We nearly got killed on the highway, going to PA. It causes excess wear of the inner tread of the tire, causing a blow-out. Take it back to the dealer, where you bought it. The replaced our axle with a stronger one.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe and Annete Atkins View Post
The Wolf Pup Axle is too weak. We nearly got killed on the highway, going to PA.
Just curious, how did this cause you to almost get killed? A few posts earlier you mention that you had the axle replaced when you noticed the tire wear. Did something happen on the highway that caused you to stop; and that is when you noticed the odd tire wear?

Also, what year and model of Wolf Pup do you own? It would be good to know; especially if there should be a recall in your mind.

Thanks!

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #98

I talked and posted about this before.

Wolf Pup with a bent axle....

It seems like this maybe a problem with our campers. To keep things somewhat organized, we should post any more comments about the the "axle" in that posting rather than have 50 different topics in one post like in this post.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #99

How we almost got killed.

My wife and I were on the busiest section of I 76 when our left camper tire blew out. We didn't even have enough space to get off the highway. We were stuck. I attempted to change the tire, but soon realized that traffic would simply run over us, as drivers were paying little attention to our emergency lights. I had to drive to the exit on a flat tire, which runied the rim. The point is that the entire inside tread of the tire had been erased down to the inner core of the tire, causing it to blow. The axle had actually lost it's arch, had become straight, then inverted, which caused the bottom of the tires to flex outward by many degrees. When we got home and our dealer had changed out the axle, we were shocked at how thin the original was, compared to the replacement. The new one was nearly five times thicker and triangular in nature, compared to the old one. The dealer stated that the axle was simiular to one used on a very light trailer, use for light hauling. In other words, Forrest River had cut costs at the expense of the customer's safety. I thank God that we didn't get hurt and that Forrest River did fess up and fix the problem. My concern is what other corners were cut in the production of this camper in order to cut production cost. It's a pretty little camper, but pretty is as pretty does.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #100

Yikes- glad to hear you are OK. And thanks for posting that; the way you said it before it sounded like you had noticed the wear; as opposed to having a blowout.

And I think DC has a good point; we should probably continue this discussion in the other thread.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote