Old 01-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
And I think DC has a good point; we should probably continue this discussion in the other thread.

Agreed. I really think this is a problem. Thanks Ken.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe and Annete Atkins View Post
My wife and I were on the busiest section of I 76 when our left camper tire blew out. We didn't even have enough space to get off the highway. We were stuck. I attempted to change the tire, but soon realized that traffic would simply run over us, as drivers were paying little attention to our emergency lights. I had to drive to the exit on a flat tire, which runied the rim. The point is that the entire inside tread of the tire had been erased down to the inner core of the tire, causing it to blow. The axle had actually lost it's arch, had become straight, then inverted, which caused the bottom of the tires to flex outward by many degrees. When we got home and our dealer had changed out the axle, we were shocked at how thin the original was, compared to the replacement. The new one was nearly five times thicker and triangular in nature, compared to the old one. The dealer stated that the axle was simiular to one used on a very light trailer, use for light hauling. In other words, Forrest River had cut costs at the expense of the customer's safety. I thank God that we didn't get hurt and that Forrest River did fess up and fix the problem. My concern is what other corners were cut in the production of this camper in order to cut production cost. It's a pretty little camper, but pretty is as pretty does.

Rather than ranting about it, could you post a way so people could identify which axel they have and if they have the smaller under rated unit you are talking about? Is there something that distinguishes it?

Old 01-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #103

Ranting vs Warning

The only difference that the Serviceman at Paul Sherry RV showed us was the size difference of the axles. No other information was given.

Do you know how manufacturers get away with shoddy workmanship that puts people at risk? They keep information from the public. I've discovered via google that we are not the only ones with the problem. Like us, we originally thought that the tires were defective. It wasn't until we had to change the tires that we could see that the bottom of the tires were bowing outward, causing the tires to wear out on the inner tread.

There's a fact that wrongdoing exist because people are not willing to address it. Forest River knew about the problem and just kept quiet, only addressing the problem as people complained. That's not fair to the customer, who has paid good money, in good faith, hoping to get a good product. We knew we weren't buying an Airstream, but the ability to pull a camper, without incident, is an important safety issue, regardless of who built it.

It's really up to the dealship that sold the Wolf Pups to deal with Forest River, not the clients. All we know is that the new axle was remarkably thicker and stronger. The original axle was only about an inch in diameter, very thin. It was not meant for the load provided by the Wolf Pup. I hope that the new axle does it's job in the spring.

Joe
Old 01-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #104

Right - so again you are simply ranting. Other than making you feel better by getting it off your chest, your rant does nothing to help anyone out there other than create a potentially needless fear that "something"'may be wrong.

There is no way that you could not identify the new or old axel if this really happened. If you truly want to help us, then take some photos of the old and new axels. Put a ruler beside them for size. Find your work order and post a scan of it. If you had this work done then there will be documentation detailing it and the part numbers. If you did not get a work order - which I highly doubt - then ask your dealer for a copy of it. Nothing happens without a work order.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #105

Sounds like a Forest River Company Man

If you have a Wolf Pup and a dealership you bought it from, then take it back to them. Yes, we had a work order and it simply states that the axle was changed and that Forest River covered the labor cost, while the company that made the axle covered the exchange of the parts. Yes, I'm ranting. I want people to know there's a problem, because I'm certain that Forest River's not telling Wolf Pup owners there's a problem with the axle. If that offends you, tough. I really don't care. My goal is to keep folks from getting hurt, or having an accident due to that axle problem. Anyone seriously wanting details only has to go back to their dealership. It's no secret, it's just not advertised.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #106

Oh! It happened! Wolf Pup Axle Failure!

Oh yes, it happened! Now I know you're a Forest River employee. My dealership is Paul Sherry in Piqua, Ohio. They've only sold two Wolf Pups and we were one of them. The other customer only parks his at the local RV park, so he's had no problems, yet.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe and Annete Atkins View Post
Oh yes, it happened! Now I know you're a Forest River employee. My dealership is Paul Sherry in Piqua, Ohio. They've only sold two Wolf Pups and we were one of them. The other customer only parks his at the local RV park, so he's had no problems, yet.

Buddy - you're off your rocker. I'm not towing my trailer to the dealer because of your rant. Give details, specifics, part numbers so members can check their trailers - to be honest you sound more and more like a competitor to forest river trying to undermine their product than someone with a legitimate concern.

Give all of us something to work with - post a part number and I'll crawl under my wolf pup right now and take a pic showing the axel to see if it is the same
Old 01-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #108

Joe, at the very least could you please tell us what model of Wolf Pup you have?

As mentioned there is another discussion happening in the other thread (Click here)

I agree that people should know about this; and I think the dedicated thread might be a better place. This thread is a very general discussion; and the axle issue could easily get lost.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #109

I also need to point out that you are posting in the toy hauler section. The wolf pup toy hauler is rated for 5100lbs give or take so you rant is most likely moot. You never identified your model or manufacture date so again I must assume that you have a non toy hauler version with a smaller axel and weight capacity.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #110

When someone tells of an actual experience that could have been a very dangerous situation, my freind this is not a rant. An experienced trailer suspension company can easily tell you if the axel installed is adequate to the load with water and whatever loaded on. There has been legitimate axel problems on the wolf pups as the service department at Acess Rv in Salt Lake City will tell you (unless they are told to shut-up?) I now see that our Wolf Pup has a peice of angle iron welded on the tube to prevent flexing. This still does not resolve the issue that the rest of the axel components are not adequate for the weight of this trailer. Even the class c tires are still only for 3500 lbs. While I very much like the Wolf-Pup, I am finding it unvbelievable that they even installed a nice cergo rack on the back that can add 200 more lbs of weight? 50 gallons of water can weigh 450 lbs too. So HERE'S your RANT - I'm looking for one of those "Tort Lawyers"....