Old 08-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #131
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookside View Post
Wow. Can you make your font bigger? Sheesh
The font size was pretty large but this is a new member with only one post.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #132
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale1937
I purchased a 2012 Wolf Pup 16P 3 months ago and am afraid of the axle ratings. Forest river will upgrade it to a 5ooolb axle for $1700. I feel like it should have been recalled as it only has a leaway of 540 lbs frfom dry weight. Anyone else have an issue with these 16P wolf pup?
Isle are you also figuring in your hitch weight as well ?
You need to subtract that from dry weight cause that weight is on your truck not your axles

Old 09-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Isle are you also figuring in your hitch weight as well ?
You need to subtract that from dry weight cause that weight is on your truck not your axles
I posted in the other thread (with pictures of how this all goes awry), but I thought I'd put this here as well. Go ahead and look at the stickers on your trailer (should be on the driver front side and the door frame).

From the stickers on the side of mine:

3084 dry weight - side sticker says max load is 794. Sticker also says a full water tank is 424 lbs - so with no food, no clothes, no camping stuff, no battery, no propane, nothing but a full water tank, you'd already be at 3500 lbs

3084+794= 3878

3878 - 10% tongue weight = 3490 lbs, or just 10 pounds under the MAX axle load limit.

Use a load stabilizer (which we found necessary to tow well) and it shifts about 50-100 pounds back, which puts you at roughly 3600 or 100 lbs over the rated weight.

The tires ours came with were rated at 1700# - you'd also be 200# over that.

Note that on Forest River's website, there is no current version of this trailer and all the specs are "TBA"

This was the first trailer I ever bought and I have, unfortunately, learned a lot, particularly in talking with Forest River and Lippert. I'm not at all pleased, particularly with the lack of interest or help from either. Who knows, maybe this is the "industry standard" of disinterest.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #134

Join the club! We bought a 2012 Wolp Pup 16P in April. Has been nothing but problems. The tires were wearing on the inside as many do. We opted to upgrade to a 5250 axle and 225 R15 tires. We went to Hattisburg, Ms with an appointment at 8:00 Am. Country Creek ordered an upgrade axle from Forest river and give us a price for parts and labor of $1700. We thought that was excess but didn't know how else to make it a fairly safe unit. After we got there they pulled the original axle and said the new one they ordered
didn't fit and it would be an additional $600 labor to modify it. We had no other choice since it was disassembled. This two hour job ended up being finished at 5:00 PM, however the brakes didn't work so they took it back in the shop and adjusted them. BOTTOM LINE, THE TOTAL WAS $2700. You are right the industry standard is way below par, Also we trying to get warranty work on the refrigerator since it hasn't work since it was new, a chiller unit has been ordered. Another dissatisfied forest river customer.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #135

Was this just the torsion bar or the entire unit, including spindle and hubs? Lippert offer an upgraded "hybrid" unit which is a 5200# bar but 3500# spindles, etc - that is $700 from Lippert. Lippert also told us that the entire 5200# unit IS NOT a drop-in fit and will require re-locating. We're probably going to go with a full 5200# unit from Dexter which will also require relocating as well. (Assuming we can verify critical dimensions, which will mean faxing some stuff off to Dexter.)
Old 09-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #136

Axle upgrade Wolf Pup 16P

This was a total upgrade to a torsion axle. The original one including springs were removed.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #137

I just joined this forum today since I am planning on transitioning from my Fleetwood Arcadia high walled pop-up to a smaller hard sided travel trailer in the spring.

I narrowed down my choices to the Cherokee Wolf Pup, Forest River R-Pod 172, or Heartland MPG. I have been strongly leaning towards the Wold Pup, but this message thread is scaring the pants off me!

Is this axle problem limited to certain model years or is it universal?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #138

I have been told - but I haven't seen with my own eyes - that the 2013 models (which are not listed on Forest River's website, but I have seen several dealers advertising them) have an entirely different axle. The easiest way to tell is to look underneath, which you want to do on anything you buy anyway. The axle will state a rating, and check that with the required DOT label on the side of the trailer for trailer weight and GVWR.

Reading through the various RV forums, it is not an uncommon thing for an RV mfr to use an axle right AT the rated limit. It may be common, but it's not wise. In the Lippert literature the LIST price of a 5200# set up is $150 more than the 3500# axle - how many people would pay that $150 for the sales boast of "safety first"?

The final resolution in our case, btw, is that even though we are out-of-warranty, Lippert is sending a replacement upgraded "hybrid" axle (on THEIR dime), which includes "all of the bits you'll need to put it in," directly to us. We'll see what it is when it gets here. We're still looking at switching to a completely different unit from Dexter.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #139

Misplaced loyalty to Wolf Pup

The thread post from Joe and Annette regarding 16P axle problems has been criticized from some members. They know who they are. As a person considering the purchase of a 2011, 16P with the 3500# axle, for a 2013 Alaska trip, I was wondering why so many of you found fault with Joe's thread post. I have come to the conclusion you must be in denial regarding the advisability of your purchase. The Wolf Pup 16P is a "Lemon" pure and simple. When I saw the outside wheel placement my first thought was, "that's different" but on second thought it may be part of the problem regarding axle failure, the longer the axle the greater the tendency to bend. Joe and Annette do not need your complaints but yours and my thanks because they saw through all the posts RE: the lack of a "toilet tissue" holder posts and put something really important in the thread.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:30 AM   #140

On my 2013 wolf pup 17rr tires have nitrogen in them with a sticker on the window telling all about the tires. There selling point was "quick lube axle" I have yet to put my Harley on board to tow because I want to keep it light on my first several trips. When I do load the motorcycle it will be very tight with there placement of the tie downs.