Old 09-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #141
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggphillips58
On my 2013 wolf pup 17rr tires have nitrogen in them with a sticker on the window telling all about the tires. There selling point was "quick lube axle" I have yet to put my Harley on board to tow because I want to keep it light on my first several trips. When I do load the motorcycle it will be very tight with there placement of the tie downs.
Welcome!
I say put the Harley in and go !

Why wait ?

Congrats on the new unit and Have fun.

Turbs

Old 09-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarian View Post
When I saw the outside wheel placement my first thought was, "that's different" but on second thought it may be part of the problem regarding axle failure, the longer the axle the greater the tendency to bend.
The axle isn't any longer than standard because the trailer is narrower than many in class - that was a good point in our book, because the Jeep Grand Cherokee doesn't need huge towing mirrors to see behind the trailer, the standard mirrors are fine.

The same Lippert axles are found on many similar size trailers in class.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8zmnm View Post
I just joined this forum today since I am planning on transitioning from my Fleetwood Arcadia high walled pop-up to a smaller hard sided travel trailer in the spring.

I narrowed down my choices to the Cherokee Wolf Pup, Forest River R-Pod 172, or Heartland MPG. I have been strongly leaning towards the Wold Pup, but this message thread is scaring the pants off me!

Is this axle problem limited to certain model years or is it universal?

I have a 2011 Wolf Pup 17RR and it has the 5000+lb torsion axle from the factory.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #144

We've really blurred the line in this thread between the toy haulers and the travel trailers. The RR and RP models are toy haulers and likely have a different axle because they have to be rated for more weight.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #145

Wolf Pup 17RP

All,

Just purchased a 2013 17RP about a month ago. Already took it camping a few times. Working out the kinks now and making it our own.

Few questions:
-Mine did not come with a furnace, Is it possible to add in one? We use a space heater and it works as long as we have it hooked up to an outside power source/generator. Trouble is also finding a low wattage heater.

-Water pump access to winterize? Turning it on, it sounds like it is up under the shower/toliet area. Is there any "Easy way" to get to it?

Sorry to be nit picky but can't really find anything specific on here via the search. Other than that We love the trailer and is just the right size for 2 people.

Anyone else out there have any issues or things I need to be worried about on the 17RP?

-Brian
Old 12-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #146

Water pump should be under the bed in the front left corner - you need to unscrew the "lid" on the box they built around it to get to it. Are you sure you have no furnace? It should be located under the microwave. Can't imagine they'd build you a unit without a furnace unless you specified that? Strange. Mattresses are garbage - change them before you even consider sleeping in them. You should double check how the tie downs are anchored before you trust them to any bike.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookside View Post
Water pump should be under the bed in the front left corner - you need to unscrew the "lid" on the box they built around it to get to it. Are you sure you have no furnace? It should be located under the microwave. Can't imagine they'd build you a unit without a furnace unless you specified that? Strange. Mattresses are garbage - change them before you even consider sleeping in them. You should double check how the tie downs are anchored before you trust them to any bike.
Water pump seems to be a little farther back, on my 17RP it has the water heater in the front left corner followed by the fresh water tank. Sound seems like it is coming from behind the fresh tank. I will do some more investigating and post pics later.

No furnace. One downfall on the RV. I live in the South so it isn't necessary but a good nice to have. Picked the unit up off from a dealer on ebay for a good price. Thinking about installing one if possible without costing too much. If its too much of a hassle the electric heaters provide enough heat. Just no boondocking.

Thanks on the heads up on the tie-downs. I plan on putting it through the ringer before I get on the road.

Over all, its not the best quality camper, but for what I paid for it, can't beat it.

There is just not that big of selection for small toy haulers. tough finding one with a real bed!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I've just towed mine home from the dealer so far. Used a friend's GMC Sierra 1500 and really barely felt it behind us. Of course that was as dry as it could ever be. I'm taking it in for a service vists this weekend with my new Acadia so I will let you know how that works. The plan is to get a weight distributing hitch this summer sometime. I live right next to British Columbia; and they require one for any trailer over 3500 pounds. Apparently they are pretty strict; to the point where they will impound your trailer.

Speaking of the trailer going to the dealer; be sure to check the manufacture date of your Wolf Pup. Apparently there is an issue with the roof seals. I can't find my letter at the moment; but I seem to recall it affected trailers manufactured around the early spring of 2010. (These will still be 2011 model years.)
How is your Wolf Pup ? How does your Acadia do?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #149

Welcome to the forum!

No problems towing it with the Acadia. One of my first trips I made the mistake of pulling it 200 km (120 miles) when it was full of water. I say mistake in that I noticed quite a difference in mileage with the extra 400 pounds of water. At that point I had planned on keeping my water system completely sanitary for drinking. I have since changed my tune, and just use bottled watter for drinking when camping.

I have had no complaints with my trailer performing as it was intended. We are looking at upgrading to a Grey Wolf just due to size and space issues. We bought this trailer with the intention that it would just be me, my wife, and son camping with us. Now we find almost always we bring my nephew as well, and we also have a dog. It's a little tight in there at times.

The wet bath is also a bit of a challenge. If somebody has a shower the floor remains wet unless you have another towel to dry the shower. It is also a little tight. My biggest issue with the trailer is one of storage. There really isn't anywhere to store clothes. Also the main storage being under the bed has some issues. A few times I am wanting to get something from inside there when somebody is still sleeping or having a nap.

The other thing I did was upgrade the mattress on the main bed. For $300 I had a custom foam mattress made, and it makes the difference between waking up sore and having a really nice sleep while enjoying the fresh mountain air.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #150

Thank you,

Did you have any issues with the Axle?