Old 08-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #81

Hi all,

We are thinking of upgrading our pop-up to a Wolf Pup but I am worried about towing. We have a 2010 Dodge Journey SXT with the towing package. Anyone else using a similar vehicle and if so how is it working.

Thanks.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #82

I quickly looked up a Dodge Journey and from what I can tell, your towing is limited to 2500 lbs. If I'm reading that correctly, I'd say no.

Good luck!!

Old 08-25-2011, 12:39 AM   #83

I have seen comparisons showing 2500 or 3500 pounds. What I did notice was on Dodge's website they mention the 4 pin wiring; which I think means no brake controller.

I tow my Wolf Pup with a GMC Acadia. We actually bought the trailer before the Acadia and we had looked into what kind of vehicle we needed. The Acadia has a towing capacity of 5000 pounds; and I like having some margin in there to account for a loaded trailer going up the mountains.

FWIW my Wolf Pup also came from the factory with a dry weight of about 2800 pounds; I don't recall the exact number but it was around 100 pounds more than the spec sheet showed. Add a battery, propane tank and a few other essentials and you are easily up to 3000 pounds.

The first thing would be to find out your towing capacity. If it's 2500 then I would also say forget it. If it's 3500 you could make it work if you are in a flat part of North America. However on my last camping trip we were going somewhere that had fresh water that required boiling; it was nice to be able to bring my own tap water along for the trip.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #84

Thanks for the replies.

Yes it does only have the 4 pin wiring so I would need to get that changed as well. Seems like I might be pushing my luck with this vehicle although we do live and camp in flat areas and I wouldn't be travelling with water in the tanks as we only go to provincial campgrounds and conservation areas with services.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #85

If you decide to replace your TV, get a TV big enough to handle your next TH. It took me two times to get it right and that can be very expensive.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #86

^^ Solid advice. We were at the dealer and while we waited we started looking at other trailers. Now that we've used ours my wife has some ideas of what she wants, and found one that was pretty nice. She even commented that our Acadia could pull it- as the dry weight was only 4300 pounds.

That's when I told her that we needed at least 6000 pound capacity; if not 7000 pounds.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #87

Been towing my new Wolf Pup in the Alberta foothills with a Ford Windstar. So far so good. Bringing the water with us.... Hated the awning, installed a modified "roller awning at Uncle Bens. Much nicer. Use small Champion generator for ac power, won't run air at all, or microwave, but everything else ok... Charges batteries. For 2 people all the size we need, drop down tent extension for the grandkids. Seems durable, but time will tell....
Old 08-25-2011, 11:45 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgharp View Post
Ken I can appreciate that. When they did my demo, he went over the awning really fast. I would suggest going out on youtube and look for advice. I found several videos on how to use your awning. they all work pretty much the same. I also found videos on my brake controller and other items I wasn't sure about.
Go to youtube and type in "RV tips awning"
Had a custom awning built in Red Deer Alberta... A "spring roller" easy to use and stow. Set up the awning that came with it and it collapsed and dented the side first time out... Brought the trailer back and installed a "real awning"
Old 08-25-2011, 11:58 PM   #89

Dave- where did you have that done, and how much did it cost you? Or was it partly covered by the dealer?

We did OK last weekend now that our poles are all the right length; but if the price is right I wouldn't mind upgrading to a "real awning" as well.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:56 PM   #90

What is the interior length of the Wolf Pup 17RR? I have a couple of kayaks, with the longest being 11' long - will it fit?