Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #61

Yes, this is our 2nd ridgeline. Traded in a 2008 this year for this one. I really like the trunk. Touque could be better for towing, it downshifts too much when towing in high gear at 70 mph. The least little hill it downshifts.
jerry929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #62

Ya, I see what you mean. It looks like only about 5" clearance. Why would anybody put anything that close to the ground? It seems to me the whole trailer should have been 5-6" higher. Forest River should raise them as a recall.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #63

I just looked at mine which sits empty right now and it looks to me that the axle was mounted wrong at the factory. It looks like it should have been rotated 45 degrees on to the next flat of the square and welded there. There needs to be a recall to fix this problem for us Wolf Pup owners, I can see problems in the near future with this water tank drain getting ripped off by just a small speed bump.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #64

We bought one late last year, the 17B model with the queen bed up front.

So far we have:
-- added a 3" memory foam topper to the queen bed (making the bed it came with sort of a box spring, which it is far better as than it was a bed).
-- cut the dinette table back about 2" to make it easier to slide in and out of. We kept the piece we cut so that when the table is folded down we still have the full length.
-- added a second battery up front (that took angle iron and welding)
-- disconnected the %$#^ radio. I'd like to find a smaller microwave, remove the radio and top-mount the microwave and get the space the mwave currently sits in for more drawers/storage.
-- built a cover for the stove to make that space more useful - unless it is VERY cold (like sub 20s), I prefer to cook outside, and I'd like that space for something else.
-- added a paper towel rack above the sink
-- added a "keys and wallet" shelf mounted to the wall below the stove on the left (as you look at the stove).
-- added a soap and TP wire basket tower to the bathroom (like this one, although I can't remember where I actually bought the one we have
Amazon.com: InterDesign Rain Tension Caddy, Clear: Home & Garden
-- built window coverings (out of car windshield sunshield materials) that cover the 3 windows in the back of the trailer. If you are camping in the high country, those single-pane windows let in a LOT of cold. I thought about insulated shades, but those are expensive and this was much easier.

We just picked up some alder to build a few more cabinets (we've been experimenting with stains to try and get as close as possible to the factory colors). One will run along the back wall of the trailer, above the window (we have no interest at all in the TV mount). Other cabinets will be above the queen bed, although we haven't decided on design. Newer trailers have a cabinet very similar to the one above the stove that runs the same direction as the axle above the bed. I was thinking more of two cabinets, one at the foot of the bed and then a shelf above the head of the bed.

Ours is a slightly older style and we don't have the pass-through exterior storage under the front bed - as soon as the warranty is out, that gets installed.

After camping a couple of times with the "bag" style awning, we're looking for a different awning - because of the relatively small distance between the door and the awning rail, most after-market version won't fit. I believe the one FR uses is an AE 9000, but I'm currently talking to Chris in FR Cherokee customer service to verify the model number. If it IS the AE, it's around $750. The biggest problem with retrofitting the awning is that there may or may not be suitable frame members to mount to at the base. Fortunately, that area is below the dinette seat in the read and below the bed in the front, so if we have to cut through the flooring to add bracing we can without making a real mess.

Other notes:
we tow with a 2004 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Even though the rated tow weight is almost twice what our trailer weighs (verified on the scales, our trailer, fully loaded with all of our camping junk, is about 3300 lbs), it tows much much better with a load level hitch and an anti-sway. The Jeep gets about 16/20 alone and about 13/16 with the trailer.
WildPlumYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildPlumYonder View Post
-- cut the dinette table back about 2" to make it easier to slide in and out of. We kept the piece we cut so that when the table is folded down we still have the full length.
How exactly did you do that? Take it somewhere to be done, or just use a saw yourself? Did you do anything to finish the other end of it?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
How exactly did you do that? Take it somewhere to be done, or just use a saw yourself? Did you do anything to finish the other end of it?
First we took the back pair of legs off (they have to be relocated) then we partly removed the vinyl edge trim so that we could reuse it. We cut 3" off the back, put the legs back on, trimmed the vinyl trim strip and glued it back on. Viola!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #67

Just got a call back from Forest River, and then verified the info with Dometic: the upgraded awning is a Sunchaser model 803, which is a brand new model - older Sunchasers (model 827) will not work. In the process of calling around, trying to find a retailer with the new model (so far no luck). The Dometic rep said that new models go to the OEMs first and then slowly make their way into the retail chain.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #68

First Trip

Heading out with the new Wolf Pup. First Camping trip since I was a kid.
Johnny m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc326 View Post
Im not too worried about the axle, I'm worried about the drain on the fresh water tank.
I just looked at mine again; do you guys not have bumper guards that hang down in the back? I just cannot see the fresh water drain hitting something before one or both of those do.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #70

They would most likely hit first if you're backing up, but what if you're going forward like a speed bump or a bump in the road?
Old 07-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #71

I was out with my trailer this weekend and decided to measure. The water drain on mine sits 7 inches off the ground. I just can't see a situation where that much clearance would be an issue.

Getting back to the awning; it sounds like the reason Steve (sgharp) said to look on Youtube was that there is a new awning for the 2012 models. (Which is what WildPlumYonder was talking about upgrading.)

My awning is supposed to look something like the one below; however we were not able to get it anywhere close. Has anybody figured out the right way to set it up?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17Bawninglarge.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	7098  

Old 07-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #72

Yes, we have gotten the "tent tarp" awning set up - the first time we did it, we were still at home in the driveway with 3 people and three ladders. It took a couple tries and then we color-coded the parts and tie-wrapped them into grouped bundles to make it easier the next time. We also took a PVC pipe (I think 1/2" diameter, can't remember) and used as the guide to re-rolling the awning so that it actually fits back in the bag.

We've only set it up once while actually camping.

Since prior to this I only had a tent or a very small tent trailer with no awning, I had no idea how annoying I'd find this "awning."

Best price I've found on the replacement Sunchaser is $850 (and that's with us installing everything, more like $1,200 installed).
Old 07-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #73

The one thing that seemed to be "missing" for us- how did you secure the poles to the trailer?

Yeah, a ladder would have been really handy. I ended up standing on a cooler to be able to reach.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #74

They don't really secure to the trailer - I think I remember it being the poles with the little white "cane tips" on them just pushing against the side of the trailer.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:11 PM   #75

Wolfpup 17RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinguy68 View Post
I went and looked at a 17RR and put money down on it, so I too am looking foward to getting it. I get the impression that there aren't too many out in use yet (new model Line??), not much feedback available on the web on them.

G'day guys, just wondering if anyone knows any dealers in Los Angeles/ or California who sells the forest river Wolfpup 17RR? Done alot of searching with no luck.
maka27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #76

We own a Wolf Pup 16P and are loving it. We have spent time with hook up and dry camping. Looking forward to sharing experiences.
kdoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #77

Welcome to the forum kdoering!

I did some more playing around today. I did measure the point at which the grey tank shows levels, and it does warn early:
1/3- 5 gallons
2/3- 15 gallons
Full- 21 gallons

The other thing to note; I was only able to put 30 gallons in before water came up into the shower; so the capacity is a little under the 31 gallons they say. It is also worth noting the shower basin holds just under 5 gallons; just in case you are getting that full.

I also did another experiment. I've only been out twice, but both times I had a full grey tank and a "showing empty" black tank. My thought was- is there a way to transfer water from the grey tank into the black to free up space. I found a way; perhaps not recommended but it works:

- Make sure the dump cap is on tight.
- Open the grey dump valve. You will hear the valve area full up with water.
- Open the black dump valve. I was able to hear the rush of water into the black tank.
- As soon as you think you hear the water stop, shut the black valve immediately.
- Then close the grey valve.

Yes, when you dump you will get a couple of litres of grey water that goes onto the ground. Most dump stations I have seen have a drain nearby to catch excess water. This proceedure brought my grey tank from reading full to reading 1/3, and the black tank from empty to just under 2/3. (The 2/3 light will come on if I rock the trailer.)

The other benefit I see with this; it allows you to dump you black without having to run a lot of water through the toilet. Handy for when you are dry camping- you don't have to add 15 gallons of use onto your pump.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I was out with my trailer this weekend and decided to measure. The water drain on mine sits 7 inches off the ground. I just can't see a situation where that much clearance would be an issue.

Getting back to the awning; it sounds like the reason Steve (sgharp) said to look on Youtube was that there is a new awning for the 2012 models. (Which is what WildPlumYonder was talking about upgrading.)

My awning is supposed to look something like the one below; however we were not able to get it anywhere close. Has anybody figured out the right way to set it up?
We did get the awning up this past weekend! It took 6 of us and a case of beer about 45 minutes to figure it out! I'm sure it will be easier now that we know where everything goes.

The white tipped poles go against the trailer and are spring loaded so to speak. The adjustable (pop button slide style) poles with the black tips, there are three as well, support the far edge black tip on the ground. The other 3poles slide through the edge of the awning. The 2 identical poles slide into each end of the short pole with the hole in the middle.

Feed the poles into the far edge of the awning first. Next we put up the middle white tipped pole pushing it against the trailer and fitting the skinny tip thru the hole on the top of the black bottomed pole and then into the hole in the pole we fed into the awnings edge. Then you do the same on each side and secure the Velcro. It is tight to pull the edge of the awning over.

When we took it down we left the outer edge pole intact and rolled the awning around it. It all fit bag in the bag.

Hope this helps!
kdoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #79

Thanks for all that detail!

Today I took the trailer back to the dealer. I had gone in earlier in the week and asked them to show me on another similar trailer; but they didn't have one. Myself and two technicians spent over an hour on it. Turns out the problem was that Forest River put the wrong poles in my trailer. The two long poles that go in the front edge of the trailer each had to be shortened by about 9 inches, and the "tension poles" had to be made longer by drilling in new screw holes. The were each short by a good 18-20 inches.

I also had them look at the stereo; I'm not sure if I mentioned in this thread or another my two issues:
- Radio reception was terrible. Maybe 20 miles on FM at best.
- Stereo would not play my iPhone; it would have the iPhone cycle between charge/ not charging and never catch on.

The new stereo fixed the reception problem. Which was funny because I had to fight them on it. I tried to tune in a station about 30-40 miles away and it was pretty poor. The guy tried to tell me his car stereo wouldn't even get that. Fortunately I had my Walkman with me as well; and it has an FM tuner. I told them how crappy the FM tuner was on it; and it was still able to pick up the distant station alright.

However my iPhone issue still persists. The one good thing is that when I connected my Walkman to the USB port it did appear to start playing the videos stored on it; but not the music. At least the dealer did try (and used an employee iPhone to also test) and will be contacting the manufacturer next week to see what can be done. In the mean time, I have some playing around to do- and I'll make sure I have the TV attached so I can see what the unit is trying to do.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #80

Just to add to the awning discussion; I built a couple of bases for the two outside poles to sit in. Basically these were made with 1X6 fence boards; the top piece is 5.5" long, and the bottoms are 9.5" long. The holes marked with red arrows are 1" in diameter and only go through the top piece. The smaller holes with blue arrows are 1/2" in diameter so I can put 3/8" lag bolts through into the ground.

The original plan was just the two outside hols for the bolts, but I added a 3rd just in case I'm parked ontop of rocks. (Which happens frequently in the mountains.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture_009a.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	7271