Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #1

Wolfpack 295-what would you look for when inspecting our new unit for the first time?

Getting excited about picking up our new toyhauler unit next month. What fit and finish, as well as major problems, would you look for when going through fiver for the first time? Dealer is doing a PDI, but I realize there will be problems they might not pick up. What have been your experiences, and what are your recommendations? We plan on camping near dealer for a few days before hauling home. Thanks for any input.
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #2

For peace of mind, ask them to conduct a leak test. They put a fan on one of your roof vents that sucks air in and presurizes the interior of the trailer. Then you follow them around as they spray soapy water on everything that might leak. If it blows bubbles, it will leak. I did this when I picked up my new trailer. No bubbles, I was happy. Cost me $100, but was well worth it.

Tom
tomhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #3

Leak test

That sounds like a great idea-I assume dealers don't include that as part of their "free" PDI.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Dealer PDIs tend to sometimes be cursory, and limited to what is written on a list. My best suggestion is to take take a very experienced trailering friend with you to inspect every last thing in or on the trailer. Don't sign off for delivery based on a dealer's promise that "we will fix that." They want the trailer off of their lot ASAP, so you have a lot of leverage when it comes to getting things fixed now. This is the only time they will fix anything on an urgent basis, rather than at their leisure. And please don't fall for the old "We suggest that you take it now and use it a few times so we can fix anything else you find at the same time." You can take it back as many times as you want to during the warranty period, anyway.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
RJW

Man dont trust a dealer PDI,
find yourself a check list and do your own, check every system water,electric 120 and 12v, look for sticky drawers,doors, leaky fixtures, under sinks and anywhere you can see a water or drain pipe for leaks, get on the roof and inspect for cracked caulk, look for bulges in the roof, could be a nail/screw sticking outta the decking under the rubber, check for missing screws cracked trim, loose trim, poorly caulked areas, turn on and off every light and appliance, check hot water heater for working, do the leak test or do one when you get it home and fix anything you find.

A good examination of the trailer should take at least a hour and half or so, make sure you ask questions and take notes on anything you dont understand during the walkthrough, the make ready guy will be trying to fly through the stuff but dont let him fly stuff past you inless you understand.

then there is the cosmetic stuff,

even with all that you will probably find a few minor things during the first couple camping trips, make list and get several fixed a dealer under warranty, or do them yourself and save the headach on the minor things, especially if it is cosmetic,

2006 Expedition 4x4 w/HD tow package
5.4L 4 speed auto w/OD 3.73
tow rated 8200
2008 Cougar XLite 30FKS
gvwr 7800

Alvarado TX
RJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I agree with the others. Look over everything yourself. You will find things they won't. Some dealers will do a pretty good PDI, but you should go over it as well. (I always find something!)

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:11 AM   #7

I know this is an old forum but this is for the next guy.
Found this on another forum.

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...d/15757772.cfm
jflandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #8

I know this was posted 2 years ago, but just want to say thanks to all the replies. Our personal pdi at pickup time last all day! By then they had replaced a doa converter, refastened gray/blk water valves, took a seat out with a hole in material and replaced it, cleaned up caulk goop from the windows and siding, recaulked a couple places on the roof, etc. We camped right there over night and the next day they tighten pipe couplings, and fixed a slider door among other things.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #9

make sure you see everything work and be sure to check all the cabinets, doors, drawers, lp tanks, look for water leaks, check the roof, pretty much just be thorough.
commander ryker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
295, cherokee wolfpack