Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #21
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
You have fever Sir. Either a pampered sweet wife or single.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
She is a Saint.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #22
Wait till next year...

FEEE...VAH. After looking at Promaster,Sprinter and Transit based van campers (read sticker shock) I may be coming around to Oscarvans stealth camper. Googling van conversions and running thru Pinterest a comfortable van conversion camper looks very doable. Two sites that I have come across Sportsmobile( their design studio)and FitRV both provided inspiration on the conversion. The Promaster with front wheel drive(towable with dolly) and unobstructed rear(no drive shaft) will probably be be my choice of van.
My DW is considers herself more a martyr(married to me) and is a high hurdle when it comes to this stuff as she writes the checks.
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #23
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
FEEE...VAH. After looking at Promaster,Sprinter and Transit based van campers (read sticker shock) I may be coming around to Oscarvans stealth camper. Googling van conversions and running thru Pinterest a comfortable van conversion camper looks very doable. Two sites that I have come across Sportsmobile( their design studio)and FitRV both provided inspiration on the conversion. The Promaster with front wheel drive(towable with dolly) and unobstructed rear(no drive shaft) will probably be be my choice of van.
My DW is considers herself more a martyr(married to me) and is a high hurdle when it comes to this stuff as she writes the checks.
You may thank me later as I hereby provide you with HOURS and HOURS of entertainment reading about other people's conversions.......

Camper Vans and Conversions - Ford Transit USA Forum
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/fo...play.php?f=119

Don't rule out a Rear Wheel Drive.....just pull the knob and flat tow it.....

Drive Shaft Coupling

After MUCH research I have settled on the Transit T250. The Sprinters are nice, that's for sure but they are pricey, and getting them to a dealer can be problematic when away from Urban areas. The RAM is, well, a RAM. Not my thing. Chevy doesn't make anything in this arena, their loss as I have bought many, many GM products over the years.

So, the T250 it is. BTW, with the 3.5L twin turbo Ecoboost V6 the thing is STUPID fast.... as in 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. The Car and Driver peeps did a writeup and were amazed at how much fun it is to drive. And, it will tow 7000 pounds. (And, there's a Ford dealership next to every McDonalds in this great nation).

There, you're all set. And, you can tell your wife it's all my fault. All my other friends do......
Old 01-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #24
Wait till next year...

Dang spent the day test driving and finagling prices on Promasters. Now I have homeworkand more options to consider.On the bright side DW is still feeding me even though she seems to be only able to talk to me thru our DD
Old 01-17-2017, 10:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Dang spent the day test driving and finagling prices on Promasters. Now I have homeworkand more options to consider.On the bright side DW is still feeding me even though she seems to be only able to talk to me thru our DD
I have nothing against Ford, we have two enjoyable Ford Escapes. FWIW, our REV is on the Promaster chassis and since last summer it just keeps getting better in ride. It seems the transmission has adapted to my driving habits better than I expected. Great visibility from the cab seats and an amazing turning circle.

I had a ride in a Ford Transit set up as a passenger car and it was pretty decent also.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:31 PM   #26
Wait till next year...

ALL RIGHT Solved my 2nd motorhome dilemma. New 2016 Ford Transit 350 DRW diesel. Now the project begins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transit.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	470.1 KB
ID:	131135  
Old 03-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #27

Well, we all need a project, but I would rather do some drawings and paintings. Always thought I could not draw, but have learned I was wrong. Drew an SUV the other day, and a lady at the coffee shop saw it and chastised me for throwing it in the trash...she thought it was pretty good and her husband also does art work.

Then again, we all have budgets to deal with and I know my drawings are getting better.
Philos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #28

"I found the toy hauler had me passing places I wished to just pull off to spend a short time. The 24' MH is the touring vehicle & the toy hauler is for point to point extended camping."

That is my perfect dilemma that I may have solved. How much time I will actually spend doing what and how. At 66 I will be traveling sometimes with the wife for short trips (she is 15 years younger and wants to continue working), and sometimes on my own for longer trips to follow my drawing and painting interests.

I'm thinking of settling on a high end short C and forgetting about a truck and trailer...something like a 27 foot Coach House Platinum 272XL Recliner.

And a new Land Rover Velar SUV (after I put another 100k miles on my 02 Mercedes) is a strong draw for a home vehicle to take the wife on 3 days vacations in California and stay at hotels when she can get off. And no, not reasonable to tow that all wheel drive behind the C or anything else.

Prior to going on the rental trip I was pretty focused on a travel trailer and truck.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:10 PM   #29

We were thinking of a 5er and truck - fortunately a friend of ours snatched a knot in my head and had us look at motorized units. Happy we did - we are over the moon with our XLT!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #30

If I could tow an Airstream 30 foot with a Velar, that would be a done deal, but not a go...darn.

If I could tow the Velar 4 wheels down (nope) behind a used 40 foot Country Coach, that would be a strong pull, but naaaaw don't want a big coach.

I'm not excited about spending much time in private campgrounds...uggg...so really like the idea of adding lithium batteries, 600 watts solar, etc. etc. to the Short C and getting out of town and start painting scenery and drawing people. Wife can show up as she wishes, no problem.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:25 PM   #31
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
ALL RIGHT Solved my 2nd motorhome dilemma. New 2016 Ford Transit 350 DRW diesel. Now the project begins.
I assume you know about this forum?

I'm doing a 2500..... https://flyingdutchman.blog
Old 03-05-2017, 06:49 AM   #32
World Wide Wanderer

I don't see anything wrong with multiple RV's... my bride does.

I am down to one... at the moment. But I may know where there is a Silver Streak truck camper...

I have had up to 4 at one time.

I have a buddy in IA that has a big Born Free Class C, a Coachmen B van and a Bigfoot TT, along with a Jeep and sailboat. He uses the B van for short haul local trips, the Born Free and the Jeep for long haul trips and the Big Foot for winter camping.

Loving the Transit conversion ideas.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #33
Wait till next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
I assume you know about this forum?

I'm doing a 2500..... https://flyingdutchman.blog
Nice blog, nice van. Can't say my "Big Red" would qualify as a stealth van wasn't really what I was planning. I like the idea of using batteries to power most of our appliances,fans and lighting, recharging from generator(remote start work model on hitch mounted cargo carrier),site power,vehicle inverter, or possibly solar. Looked for the diesel mostly for the mpg but also as a possible fuel source for heat and hot water. With the expanded area behind the duallies I'm thinking a dry bath is possible,holding tanks inside under the floor or underneath. 2 short twins (DW and I are shrinking) for sleeping when we do overnites with a take down table inbetween or perhaps 2 seat dinette passenger side that would convert to twin. Appliances would be 12v/110v dorm size refa,110v m/w,110v single induction burner,and Mr Coffee. If i can I would add 1 seat or 2 seat transit passenger seats behind drivers. So I have my work cut out for me. DW wants to see the cherry blossoms and has a long honey do list so we'll see how it goes.
I'll have to get Philos3 working on some mural concepts to fill in the back of the van.

Tags
motorhome