Old 03-24-2019, 08:14 PM   #1

2012 F53 questions

Hello all.
Well we will be picking up,our new to us Georgetown XL 350TS in a couple weeks.
I am very familiar with the V-10 and 4 speed as I had an 02 Excursion equipped with 4.30 gears. I had a 5 star tune and my GCWR was right around 17,500lbs. This combo never failed me and would pull just about any steep grade at 60-65.

Now with the new MH with the higher HP and 5speed auto what am I to expect in the way perf? I will weigh it but Iím guessing loaded Iíll be around 21000lbs loaded (22k lbs GVWR). With the occasional towing of a 2013 Explorer. Iím assuming this is on a 2011 chassis and it looks to have 4.30 gears.

And for anyone that may have done it, will a 5star tune wake up this engine/trans like it did on my 02? I wonít do a tune until Iíve had some miles behind the wheel. On the short test drive it felt decent, just not long enough to get a feel for the performance. But it ddI feel sluggish even though itís heavy!

Thanks everyone!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #2

Similarly I owned a 2005 V10 Ex with the 4R100. We currently own a 2011 Winnebago with the V10 and 5 speed Torqshift.

Hands down the 5 speed outperforms the 4 speed even with the 5 speed hauling 22,000 GVWR.

I never felt the duo ever needed a tuner.

vjstangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #3

I have a 2014 Coachmen Mirada, on a 2013 chassis, and I love the 5 Star Tune addition. Made all the difference in the world with getting on freeways, up and over overpasses without down shifting, and generally more power when needed going down the highway. I think you will experience the same with your new rig.

Hope this helps.
jhlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #4

Thanks guys. Sounds good. Looking forward to getting it on Saturday and driving it home. It’s a 3 hour drive so I should get a feel For how it performs.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:55 PM   #5
PPST Wannabe

Congrats on your Georgetown.

3 hours is quite the drive for your first evaluation.

That said.....be absolutely sure the tires are set to the proper air pressure for the drive. Iím not sure if you know the age of your tires....if theyíre original, youíre on the edge for replacement regardless of mileage. Also, aside from the CHF a lot of us do to improve handling, if the pressure is way off it will affect the handling and influence your perception of how well it does or dies not handle.

Good luck.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:28 PM   #6

Thanks again.
The tires are 2 years old (date code mid 2017) one of the reasons I jumped on this one. That’s $3k right there!!! The previous owner really took care of it. I will check the pressures before I leave. It also has a blue ox true center. I will probably due the CHF if I feel it needs it during the drive home.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:06 AM   #7

Ok. The Georgetown is home. Very nice coach.
I found out the previous owner installed front and rear Hellwig sway bars and front and rear sumo springs along with Koni shocks. And the True Center steering damper.

However this thing is a handful on the road. It wants to dart right or left. I tried using the true center and it works but it’s not right. So last night I crawled underneath and measured the toe. The tires were toed out 3/8 of an inch. I reset the tow and now they are toed in 3/16 of an inch. Haven’t had a chance to drive it yet but this will hopefully fix the handling. After that is dialed in I will get the steering wheel centered.

Otherwise we love it! Everything works and is as nice as new for less than half the price!

Now just to get everything organized and to do some user friendly mods. Last night I set the front power sunshade. It was never programmed from the factory. Found the instructions on line. Now the shade stops just above midway with the key on. Before you could put it all the way Down. And it is now set to stop at the dash instead of bunching up with the key off.

Still a lot more learning to do!

Old 04-09-2019, 09:14 AM   #8
PPST Wannabe

Congrats again on getting your rig home.

From now on.....just make sure you post your questions under the correct forum headings. So far you’ve been under General Motorhome Discussion.

Such as....

If you have concerns/questions about the Ford part of the rig, place it there.
If there are specific questions about the Georgetown “house” part, post it under Georgetown.

BTW....you need to update your avatar!!!

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
However this thing is a handful on the road. It wants to dart right or left.

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:46 PM   #10

Ok. Finally got a drive in with the Georgetown. I moved it over in the driveway after setting the toe, this let the tires relax after the adjustment. The final measurement is 1/4” toe in, (the initial setting was 3/8” out).Took it for a drive and it now handles the way you would think it should! Tracks straight, no wander or darting! The true center works amazing! I was also able to recenter the steering wheel so I can now just rest my hands on the bottom of the spokes and my elbows on the arm rests. Still need to weigh it so I can get proper inflation pressures.
Now to get it out on its official maiden voyage. 4hour trip to Stanton MI. (River Ridge Resort) end of June, 4 hour drive. No toad this year as we have no need for it on any of our trips.

Tags