Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
351DS Hot Water Heater,

Just bought 2014 351DS. Young salesman told me that it had on-demand hot water heater. I started looking at the brochure and called him on it. Atwood makes an on-demand hot water heater but no one seems to have any experience with it? seems like an invitation to fill the gray water tank in one shower. Anyone have experience with this?
gspage53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #2

No but we just purchased a 2014 351ds and the hot water heater is terrible not even enough to wash a loathe load of dishes or bath a child. I'm looking into some kind of upgrade ourselves.
Campingmomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
gspage53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingmomx4 View Post
No but we just purchased a 2014 351ds and the hot water heater is terrible not even enough to wash a loathe load of dishes or bath a child. I'm looking into some kind of upgrade ourselves.

We actually ordered the Atwood on-demand heater and they were going to install it before our PDI. I just happened to be outside in the service department at the time of installation. The technician was getting ready to cut out the wall by the existing heater with a reciprocating saw to make the new one fit. He told me that there would be a real heat issue in the confined space. I stopped them at that point because this particular dealership had no experience with this type heater. I got paranoid that this might be a mistake and told them I'd just as soon not do it. My wife is handicapped and not able to use the bathhouses so we're back at square 1. I have 7 grandkids, 4 of them boys. I'll just hose them down with the outside shower.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #4

I am going to check into this item: Girard Tankless LP Propane RV Instant Hot Water Heater.

I understand that it fits into the standard hot water heater opening as a replacement.
Preadus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
gspage53

Just got back from DeSoto ST park in north Alabama. I absolutely love the GT. The 351DS water heater is awful. I will certainly look into the Girard. I have 7 grandkids and 4 are girls. Little Girls don't understand a 5 gallon limit. I still hear the screams of 'help'. Not to mention additionally the knobs are reversed on the faucet! Thanks for the assist.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #6

I have 7 grandkids, 4 of them boys. I'll just hose them down with the outside shower.

I have 7 grandkids and 4 are girls. Little Girls don't understand a 5 gallon limit.

That does not add up, that should make 8 grand kids, is one missing?

Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Little Girls don't understand a 5 gallon limit.
Sure they do, that's how much water it takes just to rinse their hair . Back when DD camped with us I emptied the grey tank right before she took a shower. After she was all done with everything, about an hour, I took her outside and pulled the grey gate valve again. She commented about how much water came out and I told her where it all came from.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
gspage53

Sorry, included DW in female count. All love long hot showers.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #9

I have a DH who loves his hot showers. I times him the other day on his phone just to price how long he was in there. 26 minutes to be exact. So now just ladies here. But regardless 5 gallons isn't even enough to rinse off a baby much less anything else. We have found that using the gas heats the water much quicker than the electric feature.
Campingmomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater