Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #1

450 watt inverter

Hi!

i would like to know if anyone has the 450 watt inverter that
forest river offers as option on some of its motorhomes.

will this inverter run the television and tv support systems without
having to run generator.

thanks
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #2

Didn't know that FR offered inverters on any of their rigs, however, there are so many different types of TVs, VCRs, DVDs etc out there that answering your question without more information is impossible.

You need to find out what the power draw of the TV/DVD/VCR, etc that you intend to run off of an inverter is and determine what you can do with a 450W inverter.

In my own experience I would guess that 450W is a bit smallish but it may work depending on the TV.

The other factor is the size of the battery bank. Inverter size should be matched to the battery bank which it will draw from.

For excellent information regarding 12V RV systems, inverters, charging, solar and more go to: http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

This site is my "bible" for all things RV electrical and a real good source of answers for your questions.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
CampeRooo

At the bottom of that page, click on Part 2.
The part 2 page has some real 'meat' to it about inverters, generators, and accounting for all your wattage/amp hours. Great resource!

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Site Team

If it's a true sine wave (TSW) inverter it'll most likely be a good investment. As mentioned earlier 450 watt inverter won't run very much but if a tv/dvr is all you want to power it should be fine.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
If it's a true sine wave (TSW) inverter it'll most likely be a good investment. As mentioned earlier 450 watt inverter won't run very much but if a tv/dvr is all you want to power it should be fine.
I had a cheapo (harbor freight) 750w inverter on our old motorhome which was a MSW (modified sine wave) inverter that ran our TV, DVD and satellite rec. really well. On our new Georgetown I opted for a Xantrex MSW 1800w inverter and it put all kinds of sparkles on the LCD tvs. I had to upgrade to a TSW inverter which cost me 3 times as much as the MSW for only 1000w ouput.

Moral here is, if you can test it out first and return it if it doesn't work a MSW inverter is much cheaper than the TSW. You might not need to go to the expense of a TSW. I sure wished I didn't have too.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote