Old 10-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #11

But being anal, I'm going to have the new one installed this winter. We need to get over this argument the frames won't take it, because they will. The rig is rated at 22000 lbs period.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #12

i think I'm confused

Ok MikeRP,

This is sort of what i am thinking and understanding. The Ford E450 has the power to pull a heavier load than the Chevy, which is also available on the 3051 model, so if the chassis is able to pull a rated 7500 lb tow why would you put a 500lb hitch on it? I understand the vast majority of customers will pull way less than 7500lbs, and most under 5000lb, so they do not need a beefier hitch. My thing is why not just make the 7500lb hitch a standard. would it cause problems for someone to pull say 4100lbs on 7500lb hitch? would think it wouldn't matter and that the problem occurs when you pull a load heavier than the rating.

So Forest River tested the 500lb rated hitch and found out that it failed at a much higher weight, does that mean that it ok, safe and i guess legal for me to go ahead and tow my approx. 6000lb on the hitch that is on the RV now?

Old 10-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #13

My understanding is that FR is putting the 7500 lb hitch on new models but that is very recent. I'm calling my dealer tomorrow and see if they can get the hitch. As far as safe and legal that's probably two different questions. I don't think I would have any issue with the 5000 lb hitch. But I don't want to argue this if there is an accident. So what would a reasonable man do? At 6000 lbs, I would upgrade the hitch. At 5050lb., I wouldn't be concerned. It has safety factor. It also depends on what you are towing, how you are towing it, and what the weights are on your Coach before you hook up and then after you hook up. For instance are you flat towing, dolly towing or trailer towing. But at your weight, I would definitely upgrade. It's cheap insurance.

I just was out camping this weekend and I love it . And I love the Sunseeker. Very cool Coach.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #14

tow weight vs weight distribution

Mike,
I was doing some research and ame upon some info that will either help or further confuse the towing dilema. On Reese mfgr. site there was a FAQ asking difference between tow weight and weight distribution. According to them a receiver class III rated at tow weight of 5000 CAN TOW 7500lb with weight distribution kit added. They stated that the receiver must be rated for weight distribution if not then it is rated for dead weight only of 5000lbs. So I went and looked at my hitch, it is made by Buyers products(I never heard of them) and shows Max tow weight of 5000lbs and tongue weight 500lbs. Not it does not say anything about weight distribution.

Now I google Buyers products and find the website. I search the part no. of the receiver PART NO. 3011706 and it does nor show up. i am thinking it is an OEM part no. for Forest river. Kept searching site and can not find any receiver that is for the Ford E450 chassis. I found their Class III receiver, it has a different part no, and the specs for it show MTW of 5000 AND a weight distribution rating of 7500lbs. It looks exactly like the hitch on my forester 3051S, i know looks don't mean anything, so i now have no idea what to do.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #15

It is generally true that hitches generally carry a wd weight higher than the normal one. I doubt that the hitch itself is different I. The catalog versus your Coach. So of we know the gcvwr is 22000 and the gvwr is 14500. We have 7500 lbs of weight the Coach can pull.

But I seriously doubt you can increase the tongue weight from 500 lbs. You have to remember the cantilever you are putting on the rear duals with dead weight downforce on the hitch. So typically a 7500 lb wd hitch would say you could up the 500lbs to maybe 1000 lbs downforce. I doubt the manufacturer would allow that because it would overload the rear duals. So that's why flat towing is so good. It puts very little downforce on the rear hitch.

So you are pulling a truck? What type and have you weighed it? Are you dolly towing or flat towing?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #16

Mike RP

I will be dolly towing a 2013 Ford Transit Connect. The GVW of it is 4950. Now I will have my mobility scooter in it which weighs 225 lbs. Also will be a mike rack and 2 bicycles with total weight of around 150. I researched the Transit and found out I can not flat tow it so i will have to dolly it. so without the tow dolly I am at 5325. Now if i add a tank of gas 15 gallons at say 9lbs a gallon add another 135 lbs. So I need to tow about 5500lbs. And talking to dealers I need a unit that can tow 7500 lbs which is why i bought the 3051S.
I am starting to get frustrated because I can not get a straight answer from dealer or now the factory, i have called and can not get a return phone call.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #17

Send bclemens a private message
Old 10-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #18
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

We have a 2650S that was produced only weeks before the 7,500lb hitch was released (didn't know it was in the works). We tow a 3,600lb car on 1,350lb Aluma trailer (5,000++ lbs with “stuff”). We do have a w/d hitch, but went on two 7-hour round-trip trips without the w/d bars because we needed special brackets to install the w/d bars on the trailer (finally got them and will install, but no more trips this year). No sway at all. No squat at all – with 600lb tongue weight and 60psi in air springs, trailer lowered back only ¼”. The V-10 Ford with cruise control and tow-haul transmission mode kept constant 60MPH on 6-degree road sign marked grade between Cortland and Syracuse NY on I81. Won’t do that again as engine rev’ed to 5,000 RPM. But it was good to know what kind of thrust that V-10 can give.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #19

Honestly I know 5000 rpm's bother you but it doesn't bother that motor, it is made to rev. Saying that I know the feeling....... I like to keep mine 4000 or below. But the only thing it will cost you doing that is gas.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #20
Average Joe

Here's the new hitch on my new Sunseeker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4135369358.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	41012  

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, class c