Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2018, 06:56 AM   #1

AAA Platinum RV will not change an inside tire

Just found out something that I did not know.

One if my employees was picking up a new to him RV on Friday and on the ride home, the curb side innner tire blew out.

After a call to AAA, they told him that they specifically do not change the inside tire on a dually set up.

My smart employee hung up the phone, jacked up his rig and used a battery operated impact wrench to take off the outside tire, switch it around with the blown inside tire and proceeded to call AAA again and they sent someone out.

I did not know AAA would not change an inside tire.

Does anyone know if Good Sam or Progressive have the same rule?

What would you do if this happened to you?

I know i’m going out to buy an impact wrench this week.
Go Gators
Rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrzasa View Post
Just found out something that I did not know.

One if my employees was picking up a new to him RV on Friday and on the ride home, the curb side innner tire blew out.

After a call to AAA, they told him that they specifically do not change the inside tire on a dually set up.

My smart employee hung up the phone, jacked up his rig and used a battery operated impact wrench to take off the outside tire, switch it around with the blown inside tire and proceeded to call AAA again and they sent someone out.

I did not know AAA would not change an inside tire.

Does anyone know if Good Sam or Progressive have the same rule?

What would you do if this happened to you?

I know i’m going out to buy an impact wrench this week.
I had an inside dually blow out on me last September. Good Sam sent out their roadside assistance operator who replaced the tire and I was back on the way in less than an hour!!!
I had a left front blow out 3 days later. Good Sam called another operator, I had suggested he send out two new tires and again we were on the way three hours later. Several days later I pulled into another tire company and replaced the other 4 tires. Had all balanced etc etc. The three replaced tires had not been balanced[emoji19]
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #3

AAA Platinum RV will not change an inside tire

Twice I have had the inside dully fail and Goodsams replaces the inside tire with my spare.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Twice I have had the inside dully fail and Goodsams replaces the inside tire with my spare.
Since you deleted some of your post, I'll take the liberty of answering your question, *"When you guys state 'replaced' did they bring a new tire that would than be purchased or replaced with the spare?"
Since I didn't have a spare on board, the new tires had to replace the blown ones. If I'd had a spare, I wouldn't have needed to purchase a new tire on the highway! I would have gone to a RV tire dealer and then replaced the spare with a new tire at half the cost of what I had replaced them, including balancing etc. Before my next trip. I'll have bought a rim to put a spare (old tire) on just in case [emoji16]
My mistake was not having the old tires checked out and replaced when I bought the used MH. That would have saved me a lot of cash!!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #5

Good Sams and AAA etc. don't make the rules. The guys they send out are independent contractors. Local tire and towing shops. Not Good Sams and AAA employees. I have Allstate Roadside Service. Allstate says anytime I get refused service or have to wait too long, to call anyone I wish and they will reimburse me.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #6

Schvarak, I realized that the question was a bit off topic so I edited it out. Thank you for answering . You just gave me a bit of info that I did not know. I did not know I could request a replacement tire from the service. I like options. I will keep that little tidbit in my bonnet. Thank you.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire