Old 09-19-2016, 10:12 PM   #1

Adding a fire extinguisher in the Propane Tank Bay

There is a lot of great discussion on the importance of adding more fire extinguishers and replacing the small ones that come with the RV with bigger ones.

I finally installed an upgrade to put a fire extinguisher in the bay with the propane tank. There are two reasons to add a fire extinguisher here:
1. The fire could start in the propane tank bay, perhaps when filling.
2. The propane tank bay is the only unlocked bay in my RV, so it can be accessed by anybody who knows there is one there.

I installed an old ABC extinguisher that buckles in. Being old, it is less likely to be stolen. But, I plan to keep it in the Berk while being stored, and installed in the bay when we go camping.

The pressure gauge reads normal, and hopefully the motions of the RV will shake it up to prevent clogging.

BTW, I did replace the small Forest River fire extinguisher by the passenger seat with a larger one from Costco. The Costco one only hung from the top and bounced around, so I put in a strip of velcro to hold it in place. I'm sure that anyone stress by a fire will be able to disconnect the velcro.

I do have a couple of other fire extinguishers. The original Forest River one is in the bedroom, and the bay for the slides and equalizer levels has one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0925.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	120748  

gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #2

2 thoughts. If I were to put an extinguisher in the propane bay, I would probably do a Halon or HFP flood if there's a worry about a fuel fire at the tank. Second, if that's an old extinguisher with questionable integrity of the gauge, look for a fire extinguisher shop near you and take it in. They'll discharge it and refill for a nominal price. You'll then know exactly when it was last serviced and if there's any issue.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:41 PM   #3
jeff

I always like the idea of extinguishers close at hand, 1 in bedroom, near the exit and away from a probable fire/ fuel source. Just me!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:43 PM   #4

well, it is better than nothing but my thought was sort of the same. How can I get close enough to the propane bay if it catches fire to get the extinguisher?

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:05 AM   #5

Dry chem extinguishers will actually settle and compact with the vibrations from driving. From time to time flip the extinguisher upside down and tap on the side. You will hear and feel the powder loosening up inside. Otherwise it can compact and fail to dispense when needed. Smart idea. I like it.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:45 AM   #6
DDC

I think that if there is fire at or near the propane tanks I would spend my money on faster running shoes
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:06 AM   #7

Isn't this like putting a hand held extinguisher in the bunker where the dynamite is stored?
Old 09-21-2016, 08:07 AM   #8

If your propane tank catches fire it's gonna go "BOOM". Not anywhere enough time to get to or use a fire extinguisher.
Your placement though is a good idea as that compartment is never locked giving good access.
And if your propane tank ever does catch fire, get everyone AWAY from it. Don't go running toward it. If its being filled, than if it goes than the other filler tank is gonna go with it.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:23 AM   #9

From what I see, the only downside is if the propane tank is the thing on fire. There are a lot of other things that can burn that it would be nice have one handy outside.
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc00ter View Post
Dry chem extinguishers will actually settle and compact with the vibrations from driving. From time to time flip the extinguisher upside down and tap on the side. You will hear and feel the powder loosening up inside. Otherwise it can compact and fail to dispense when needed. Smart idea. I like it.
We got told this when we had a boat inspection. They suggested the best way to mount them is on there side. Does not eliminate settling and packing of the material but sure helps. Either way yes we need to shake up the extinguisher from time to time. It's not so critical in the house but a boat like a trailer is subject to vibration and bump packing the material.

On another note I understand that compartment is unlocked but I would prefer to have it someplace else to be able to go at the fire with the extinguisher in hand. But then like DDC said if the fire was in there a pair of good runners might be a better investment.

Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank