Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #1

Adding oil to class a with ford v10.

I need to add oil to my new to me windsong class a and wonder how others do it. It seems the oil filler is too close to the under side of the dash to get a quart of oil up to it to fill it. Anyone have suggestions? I know others need to change or add oil at some point. Thanks.
av8erdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

As far as physically adding the oil, most auto parts store sell a funnel with a 1/2 poly tube on the end...used to add ATF down the trans dipstick tube. The one I have has graduations on the funnel and a on/off for flow at the end. That should work for you if you can't pour directly into the breather cap.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #3

The main problem is, I can get the oil can up to the filler neck but I am unable to invert the container to pour it in due to the frame work above it.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #4

This issue has been going on for decades, these builders can't seem to get a grasp of simple gravity!!!!

Your only choice is a cranny funnel. Leave it hanging under the hood stuff a wipe rag in it to keep it and you clean....

Been this way since the late eighties with Southwind, Blunders, many others......
wickedrevs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #5

Sorry, transmission funnel, long pointed unit, cut it form somewhat or you will need a step ladder to reach up that high...LOL
wickedrevs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #6

I ended up buying a 12v oil pump in order to change the oil. As for filling while on the road, I got a funnel and a LONG hose in order to make it work.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #7

I had a Ford V-10 for 10 years. If you buy a plastic screw-on top for the large oil quarts that has a twist valve (and if my memory serves me correctly the valve also angles which will give you more flexibility) you can attach a clear plastic hose to the screw-on top, close the valve, invert, open valve and squeeze the plastic can to get the oil in. It is a bit of a pain but it works. I used Mobil 1 so you really don't have to change it more often then every 10,000 miles. JMTCW

TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #8

Being adding oil is hard for the V-10 I am wondering how hard it is to change the oil. I would like to do as much of the maintenance if possible, but is it doable?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #9

reubenray,
Per my post #7 adding/changing the oil is very easy. The screw on valve set up worked like a charm. There is sufficient room to invert the oil container and squeeze the bottle to speed up the process. You won't need any additional plastic hose. Under the vehicle there was a cross member that was directly below the oil drain. I made an inclined ramp out of sheet metal which directed the oil into my drain pan. The ramp had 2" sides, was tapered so the oil would collect at a smaller point at the bottom and at the top the metal bottom turned down and hooked onto the cross member so it would stay in place.
We sold the MH several years ago and I think I got rid of the ramp. If I find it I can take a picture and send it if needed.
TeJay
Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
Oklahoma Proud

How about a suction gun, usually sold in the grease gun section. I think each time you fill the gun, I believe you can suck up about 1/2qt. I have used them for transfer cases and differentials at work for years.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #11

Yes a suction gun will work but my experience with both I would choose the screw on valve for the quart oil container. There's no hose to drip or clean up when finished. Each time you remove the hose to get another 1/2-qt refill, and that would be 12 times, again chance to drip and create additional messes. I'm a bit of a neat guy when it comes to this stuff and don't like the oil except in the engine. Either choice would work.
JMTCW
TeJay
Old 01-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
Oklahoma Proud

Yes, I make a mess on the floor quite a bit, always put towls down, or wipe/spay off customers vehicles if fluids get spilt on them. I work on commision, so I tell the boss I dont get payed to keep the place clean, there is someone making minumum wage for that- and really he doesn't care when I'm making him money!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #13

On mine I remove the inter cover pull the filler tube out of the valve cover add the oil I need replace tube and cover.I change oil twice a year with filter.
trell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #14
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Multi-Use Transfer Pump

Cheap easy way to add oil when needed or when I change my oil. I just use a 6 ft ladder with a paint tray shelf to set the oil container on and pump away. The neighbors look at me kinda strange but it works. I just store it in a zip lock bag in the shed.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote