Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2019, 12:40 PM   #1

Adjusting brake controller on TOAD

38' georgetown with patiot 2 brake system and 4.5k lb car. Should I feel the car at all back there when braking? I used to adjust trailer brakes so they didn't push or pull on the truck hitch, but never have towed with a 20k lb rig. Nothing I do gives me the slightest indication on how well (or not) my 4500lb towed car is braking. Want to avoid stress on tow bar, but still get braking. Recommendations aside from just setting medium force/sensitivity on brake controller? Thanks -Jim
JimSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:41 AM   #2

No other recommendation just to say I have a 38’ Georgetown XL same brake system. 2 door wrangler. Hardly ever feel a difference. I had also towed a fifth wheel so I understand your question. I assume my toad is so light I can’t tell. I do see the meter rise if I step harder on the brake..but keep it at 4 or 5
mdalb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:39 AM   #3

Thanks. Even with force all the way up and jamming hard on pedal, all I ever get I'd about a 25-30% bar on the scaled brakeing indicator. Guess I'll just set Midway.
JimSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:39 PM   #4

Adjusting brake controller on TOAD

I tow a Jeep Wrangler and dont feel it braking either. The only way I know it is braking is when the light on the remote comes on.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #5

When I manually engage my Honda Civic brake with my Blue Ox controller, I am unable to stop my motorhome while it is on idle. My MH just creeps along.

This motivated me to set my Blue Ox braking to 5, but I recently wore out my front brake pads on the Toad. So, I think I'll set the braking effort to 1.

Really, the only reason I have the Blue Ox is to stop the car if it breaks away, and to comply with various laws. It doesn't help reduce my MH braking at all. Nor does it stabilize the Toad, since the car doesn't wag around anyway. The engine brake is far more useful at saving my MH brakes.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, controller, toad