Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2019, 07:14 AM   #1

Another generator issue!

I’m thinking I know the answer but still have to look at the owners manual. Just got back from our first trip. Cummins 5500 gas generator. The trip there was no problem. Generator fine the entire 7 hours it was on. On the way home it shut off 2 hours into the trip, I noticed when it started to get warm inside. Starters it back up and it took a couple times but it started. Ran for about 45 minutes then died again. It was 90 degrees on the way home. The trip there wasn’t as warm and it rained for the first 2 hours. I’m thinking it got hot and shut down. When I got home I checked the oil level and it was full.

So a couple thing I think it could be, it for hot and shut down to protect itself. The fuel was boiling due to the heat.
or what I actually did find was the altitude setting was at zero feet. We are around 900 feet where we live. Is it possible being at zero in high temps would cause it to shut down? I know it’s a long shot but it’s the only thing I found.

Thanks!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:50 AM   #2

I believe it's an ONAN not a Cummins generator. There has been several reports on this forum experiencing your issue but I don't know if there has been any definitive answer. I personally have not had the issue. Don't think your altitude setting has anything to do with it though.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I believe it's an ONAN not a Cummins generator. There has been several reports on this forum experiencing your issue but I don't know if there has been any definitive answer. I personally have not had the issue. Don't think your altitude setting has anything to do with it though.
It’s a Cummins Onan. I do believe they bought them years ago. Either way you are correct.
And yes I’m just going with what seems like the simple stuff first. Which is why I was asking about the setting.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #4

Ok. Just got back from Cedar Point. Very hot week. Great place, out second visit and we love it!

Generator ran great on the trip there, 6 hours no problem but we traveled at night so it was cooler. Coming home was HOT! 95 degrees. Hotter than the trip when the Genny shut down. Ran perfect the entire trip home. The only thing I ddI was drain some oil out of it. It was overfull when hot. Whoever did the last oil change on it filled it to the full mark when cold. It’s supposed to be topped off when hot. So when it got hot the oil was too full making it work harder! So an easy fix.

Thanks everyone for your help and ideas.

Tags
generator