Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #1

Are Class C's rattle and squeak prone while driving?

One of my concerns in getting a class C (or Class A for that matter) is the amount of noise that will be heard while driving from everything in the motor home rattling, vibrating, etc. Like dishes, cups, pots and pans, stuff stored in all the overhead compartments...

I have always been pretty anal about squeaks and rattles in my cars and trucks so I'm concerned about the "symphony" that may be present and uncontrollable in a Class C.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on this and what they may have done to mitigate the noise...other than turning up the radio really loud ;~)

Thanks!!!
smarks1632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:18 PM   #2

Yup they rattle on rough roads real bad
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:04 PM   #3

With proper prep we have very little rattles and sqeeeeeking, and we have 85% of our cabinets full. Normal driving is great without much noise. Yes on a washboard road we will have some noise. Love my Sunseeker!
Old 01-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #4

Yes they do rattle on rough roads but we look to see how each one can be addressed or "improved". On highways it is very quiet. We are down to one rattle, that is the dinette table, but I have a few ideas on that one too.
Gilm2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:12 PM   #5

You will figure out as you go along what is rattling and what to do to stop it. On rough roads you have to live with it. Don't think any of us are bothered too much about a little rattle here or there.
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #6

Look at it this way, it's a mini house on wheels. If your wondering, will it be as near quiet as your automobile, it will not. That being said, you can isolate certain noises and mitigate them to a certain degree. The cab area on a class C is usually the most quiet.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #7

Yup, the is noise but you also get some wire noise from the engine and road do I don't hear much from the back but my family does - they haven't complained you much so it can't be all that bad.
A lot if it can be easily taken care of. Dish towels for the cooktop and microwave carousel. No glass - plates or cups. We use plastic plates and disposable cups so no noise from the dinnerware but an occasional rattle from the pots was fixed with stuffing the rubber shelf liner between them.
We put food cans in a basket and lay them on the side. No can rattling now. We don't carry much in glass at all but if we do, we roll them in paper or dish towels and place them in a similar basket as the canned goods.
Been a fairly peaceful ride lately.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #8

same here . . . i'm anal about noises, too! but as most have already said, you find them & fix them - i stated in an earlier post today, i put inexpensive felt squares between pots, pans, lids, glass dishes (i'm not a paper plate kinda gal). i bought small bins to keep canned goods, cannisters, etc. in so they're not banging into each other & the bins also keep stuff from sliding as i have them fitting snugly next to each other (even if there's nothing in the bin at the time). we've also taken the front off of the sofa (jackknife) & use the underneath for storage as well, using short, rectangular bins under there to keep stuff from sliding while we're moving. i've put a towel between the shower door & towel rack we have hanging over the shower door. there's always something you can do . . . except when you're driving on teeth-rattling roads & then you just have to weather the storm . . .
memere0211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:26 PM   #9

I've had very little noise from the contents of the rig. As noted above we did things to minimize issues. The only booger I do have is the oven rack rattling. Sometimes it does. Sometimes not. But a road full of potholes will make anything rattle.
Just my $.02

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:52 PM   #10

That's one reason we got a diesel pusher the motor is 39'behind us and you can't hear it. I also wanted the air ride which is worth it.As for other noise i have that fixed and mine is as quite as a luxury car. I simply don't wear my hearing aids when driving! Works for me.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
A lot if it can be easily taken care of. Dish towels for the cooktop and microwave carousel. No glass - plates or cups. We use plastic plates and disposable cups so no noise from the dinnerware but an occasional rattle from the pots was fixed with stuffing the rubber shelf liner between them.
We put food cans in a basket and lay them on the side. No can rattling now. We don't carry much in glass at all but if we do, we roll them in paper or dish towels and place them in a similar basket as the canned goods.
Been a fairly peaceful ride lately.
This is they way we handle rattles. Works great.
CJnDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:25 PM   #12

I'm still working out the noises. It's not so much the stuff in the cabinets, it's the dinette!
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:38 PM   #13

Paper plates, plastic cups and Marie Calender tv dinner, there solved your problem
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #14

The dinette problem can be fixed in a couple ways. The squeaking probably comes from the top of the table hitting against the wood part above it. Lower the table and put felt on top of the table or under the wood. When the table is put back up you can't see it. You can also get an adjustable shower rod and put it between the floor and the bottom of the table.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #15
Senior Members

No matter what you have for a motor home it is going to have "some road noise" otherwise just drive a car and sleep in a hotel/motel, but then again you will still have some noise with that.
Butch & Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #16

When starting out on every trip, after a few miles going down the road, the significant other goes through the coach to quiet any items rattling while I'm driving.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:52 PM   #17

They all rattle and squeak. Doesn't matter the style or cost.
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #18

Class C Ride

There is no way to remove all the squeaks and rattles from a class c motor home. I know we owned one. My conclusion is that the frame is over loaded which lowers the springs to the max and they have no room to flex and absorb the shock from the road thus making the ride uncomfortable and every thing rattle. They really need a better suspension
Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #19

squeaks

That's one reason I wanted nothing bigger than 24', less overhang better ride, just my opinion.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c