Old 07-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #1

Aux brake disappointing reliability.

I am using the Blue Ox Patriot Brake on my toad and am VERY unhappy with the number of reliability issues I've encountered during situations when I most need the brake to be reliable.
During a recent trip through the Canadian Rockies the Patriot failed altogether. After hours of troubleshooting we finally determined that the battery was no longer holding a charge and that once it went into that error state, the motherboard tripped a circuit so that it wouldn't charge or run off the car battery. We weren't anywhere that a replacement battery of any kind could be purchased. As a temporary solution we found that starting the coach before turning on the brake prevented it from tripping the circuit or going into error state and it would go through it's sequence, into the ready state and function when called on. As we travelled, however, any bump in the road would send it into an error state requiring a stop so that we could rerun the whole setup process. Even hitting the transition while crossing a bridge would cause an error and we would lose the brake. As I said, we were travelling in the mountains, there were limited pull outs so we were relying on lower gears and coach brakes alone.
After this experience I have no interest in using this brake again.

Wondering what others use? Is the invisibrake system more reliable or does it have issues as well?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

http://rhodaventure.com/

2013 Sunseeker 3010DS
2014 - 15,000 Kilometers (9360 Miles) Alberta through the US to E. coast, up into Atlantic Canada, Newfoundland and back.
2015 - 2 great trips so far. Alberta to Oregon coast, Alberta to Shushwap in BC.
Puzzlme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #2

I have the blu Ox myself and had issues when I tried connecting to cr-v battery. I use a portable battery box that you can also jump start a car with and have never had an error light come up again. If I adjust the seat a little close, when I go over bumps it will show that the brake is coming on. A quick adjustment solves that.
That's just a couple suggestions, but if you've had enough, then I'm sure you'll get many ideas of other systems.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:44 PM   #3
7 Year Class A RV'er

I have the Invisibrake on my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and absolutely love it. Install was done by a mechanic buddy of mine while I watched. In my younger days, when I could get on my knees, twist, etc. it wouldn't have been an issue at all. There are even videos on their site showing installation in various vehicles - eliminates all the guesswork. The way it works is really simple. The main box goes under the front seat in my case and contains a vacuum pump and a compressor. The compressor powers a pneumatic cylinder that drives a cable to pull the brake pedal down from the firewall instead of pushing it down from the car seat. The vacuum pump provides boost for the power brake system. The unit is powered from the toad battery by direct wiring so there's no need to have the ignition on. The braking is triggered by the brake lights on the coach. Pressure on the brake pedal is adjustable by dialing the air pressure up or down on the control unit. The toad battery is trickle charged while driving by turning on the coach's headlights.

Once installed, everything stays in place except the umbilical from toad to coach and the breakaway tether cable. Just connect the tether and umbilical and you're ready to go. No brake controllers or any other equipment required. If you want to test it, just pull the breakaway pin and watch the brake pedal be pulled down. If you change vehicles, just pull it out and move it not 100% sure, but I think they even sell a kit to reinstall it in a new toad.

On top of that, it costs about $100 less than other braking systems. Watch the install videos and it will be a lot easier to understand. Good luck!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:35 PM   #4

Contacted the manufacturer directly about my 2010 Blue Ox Patriot. For $110 I can ship it to them (that includes the shipping both ways and I live in Canada) they will run a complete diagnostic, fix anything that isn't working, update the software and replace the battery. After all that they will also include a 1 year warrantee. Seems they really work to stand behind the product. I'll be sending it out next week. Will keep you posted on the results.

http://rhodaventure.com/

2013 Sunseeker 3010DS
2014 - 15,000 Kilometers (9360 Miles) Alberta through the US to E. coast, up into Atlantic Canada, Newfoundland and back.
2015 - 2 great trips so far. Alberta to Oregon coast, Alberta to Shushwap in BC.
Puzzlme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:21 PM   #5

I have the RVI2 system now for 2 years and am very satisfied. Small, light, easy to live with and has always worked. Got it set for medium braking. Hard and Emergancy braking only.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #6

Used Brake Buddy on two different diesel pushers three different tow vehicles Jeep, Chevy Truck,Acura MDX it worked flawlessly for years wish I had it now.Sold on EBay

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
brakes