Old 10-15-2016, 12:01 PM   #11
DW's Retirement Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I don't use a brake system on my Saturn and a breakaway on a motorhome TOAD is not required.
Really?
I've always been careful around those who go with this mindset - just because it's not required doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good thing to have. I would think liability-wise, a person would be opening up themselves to a huge lawsuit if the toad broke away and caused an accident, hit someone or something, etc... and the owner knew there was a way to maybe prevent this from happening.
And as far as not having an aux braking system; if the coach's brake system is heavy-duty enough, okay. But, I'd still like to have that peace of mind knowing my toad was also stopping itself and not just pushing my coach when I was using the brakes.
JMHO

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:34 PM   #12
7 Year Class A RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I don't use a brake system on my Saturn and a breakaway on a motorhome TOAD is not required.
I guess your home state doesn't require one and you never go anywhere else? Somebody needs to check state laws or get ready to spend a lot of money on fines and bonds. Besides...even if it's not required, do you simply have no consideration for those who might get hurt or killed if your TOAD did break loose? Sorry, but that's just selfish, dude! 😡😡😡😡😡

Old 10-15-2016, 10:27 PM   #13
7 Year Class A RV'er

Just FYI....current towing laws by state can be found here: http://onlinetowingguide.com/pdfs/StateTowingLaws.pdf

I see you're in Texas. Texas requires a breakaway braking system on towed vehicles and trailer weight 3,000 lbs or more. You never mentioned what model of Saturn you're towing, but any model is going to be virtually right on or over that limit with fuel and a little bit of cargo. And if you ever decide to run in Georgia, those guys are going to gave a great time with you not having brakes. They don't care what state you're from.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:57 PM   #14

Toad Braking and Break-away systems.

Spend the bucks, my friend. It's the right thing to do to protect both yourself (financially) and other innocents that could be impacted by a mishap.

I would speculate that if you had an accident: say for example, someone pulled out in front of you (they're at fault), and you plow into them, a court might tend to take the stance that if you'd had a braking system on your toad, you might have been able to stop shorter and prevent the accident.

Most states have a requirement of some level, so why take a chance on getting financially crippled for the rest of your life just to save $1500-$2000 dollars?
Old 10-16-2016, 08:49 AM   #15
DW's Retirement Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohinaz1970 View Post
Spend the bucks, my friend. It's the right thing to do to protect both yourself (financially) and other innocents that could be impacted by a mishap.

I would speculate that if you had an accident: say for example, someone pulled out in front of you (they're at fault), and you plow into them, a court might tend to take the stance that if you'd had a braking system on your toad, you might have been able to stop shorter and prevent the accident. Maybe "criminally" there still wouldn't be any liability, due to most states's motor vehicle laws still finding fault against the driver who pulled out, no matter how fast the driver on the favored road is going (as long it's not grossly over the limit). In Maryland, we call it the "Boulevard Rule". However, in civil court, percentage of negligence would be assigned. Even on the favored road, the driver could probably be found up to 49% responsible.

Most states have a requirement of some level, so why take a chance on getting financially crippled for the rest of your life just to save $1500-$2000 dollars? A NSA Ready Brake can be had for under $500, if a person were to shop around. The NSA Ready Brute Elite can be found for under $1K. The break-away brake is about $90 if you shop.
I've made some comments in RED above.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:25 PM   #16
7 Year Class A RV'er

Well said. I only spent $800 for the Invisibrake. I would hate to think I hurt or killed someone, my fault or not, to save $800.

"Conceptumator" - Orlando, FL
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:57 AM   #17

I've used the ready break on my Explorer for over 8 years. Never a problem. Just had to replace the breakaway cable it was looking a little tired.